Lava Damage

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Lava Damage

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Clearly you have yet to come across a Mythrassian Lagomorph, they are bigger, more intelligent and hardier than your average terran rabbit.

Well not unless extra orange carrots or free dwarvenite was on offer .... then yeah we might end up scaring the wee ones of the forest!
Well there is one quasi Terrain rabbit that sometimes is up to questionable things in the forest.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm

zenako wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:56 am
Obviously any Lagomorph characters would take less damage being throughly insulated :)
Rabbits feet are lucky after all *

* this assumes they are still attached to the Rabbit otherwise not very lucky!
Well, that insulation would just be all their fur being seared off first, and not sure the world is ready for the sight of furless lagomorphs galavanting around the woods. Would surely scare the wee ones of the forest!
Clearly you have yet to come across a Mythrassian Lagomorph, they are bigger, more intelligent and hardier than your average terran rabbit.

Though to be fair we did say less damage not none, but the intelligence is key in that they would not be stupid enough to have hop on lava.

Well not unless extra orange carrots or free dwarvenite was on offer .... then yeah we might end up scaring the wee ones of the forest!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:56 am
Obviously any Lagomorph characters would take less damage being throughly insulated :)

Well, that insulation would just be all their fur being seared off first, and not sure the world is ready for the sight of furless lagomorphs galavanting around the woods. Would surely scare the wee ones of the forest!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:56 am

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

blakoutsun
Goblin
Goblin

Post by blakoutsun » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 am

Having different temperature areas is a great idea. I tend to agree that players should take damage just for being in the area, it adds an element of urgency to take care of business and get out.

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 am

bottom line for me is having fun. I have used the resin hellscape in games and I made it so that just entering the hellscape you sustain 1 HP of damage per round...but that was 1st level characters...I think I would up the damage for this NEW Hellscape...maybe the older Resin hellscape is not as hot...maybe mostly crusted over...but this new one, especially the lit up version is liquid hot and anyone in this cave would sustain 2-12 hp of damage a round! As for falling INTO the Lava, I would either do, save vs breath, save for 10d6 damage or fail and die...these are all unprotected...resist fire should help.
As for using both Resin and this new lava, I would simply have the Resin in it's own room and this Newer hotter lava in a farther or lower room. I personally would not mix the two together, I would put them side by side...

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Sorry guys, those pics are mostly cooled and crusted over lava, not fully liquid pools, and certainly not in a contained cavern that traps the heat, like where most D&D encounters occur. I’m standing by my numbers for real exposure to full on liquid magma. That is IF you want realism. I don’t go for that in my game, so I’m fine with the standard lava rules.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Yeah, while I could imagine someone letting their tripod begin to go up in flames, it would be really hard to just stand there with your feet starting to burn, especially since there would also be no safe place to stand if you pulled your melting sneakers off so you did not have ruined feet. A little smolder, sure, see that all the time on campouts and campfires, but active full-blown flames...not so much.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:37 pm

this picture was the first thing i thought of reading this thread...

it is, sadly, fake - the photographer fessed up after it went viral

he was really standing on the lava, but the flames were done with lighter fluid (or some such) just for effect - he didn't actually spontaneously combust

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2 ... fire-photo
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

AnimeSensei, awesome picture of the day!
dedication.jpg
dedication.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 373 times
(I renamed it..) So is the guy who took this picture on fire too?

more I look at it, the more I see a perfect allegory for my life... :?

(Edit- okay, in light of kitenerd's next post, I have to say my life is not faked ;) .)
Last edited by John D on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gaming Talk”