DF to make one last terrain setting.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: DF to make one last terrain setting.

Post by kitenerd » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm

The gaming option with something like this is huge, W30k/W40k ship boarding actions, Alien, Aliens, Doctor Who ‘Robots of Death’ anyone? even Red Dwarf.

But we are speculating on the last DF KS (for whatever reason) so why not shoot for the Stars*

*Literally in this case :)
I actually own the red dwarf RBG can’t say I’ve ever played it but it is funny to look through

I think the moment for sci-fi has to do with StarFinder the 40K people are a great market but most of those people have their own solution but Pathfinder people are all hooked on star finder and if you could give them ships right now that would go along way
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Regarding fleshing out the ideas, I think desert is one best done with a battle mat and scatter terrain for the most part. It's more of a small kickstarter theme. Sandstone sculptures, a pyramid, and then maybe some interior pieces would be the core.

Jungles, however, are RIPE. Mesoamerican sculptures (Aztec, Olmec, or even something different like Moai), temples and step pyramids, trees, vines, and yes even a sub-theme of SWAMPS work in jungles! New outdoor elevation for rocky outcroppings, waterfalls (maybe a big one minis can go behind?), ruins of existing sets, encampments, ancient jungle crypts, "Indiana Jones" style dungeons, trails, ground vegetation, rapids, and more! I can imagine ground tiles with magnetic plants or peg/pole accessories fitting easily in the theme. Virtually every set produced so far by DF could be slotted in, (the main exception being city stuff) and many pieces could be repurposed. Erinthor Mountiains part 2 could fit. Cavern sculpts could work with the rocky outcroppings. Dreadhollow could have an expansion. Tribal themes. Haunted areas. Even an island theme with beach tiles could be an add-on. There are so many things you could do in a jungle kickstarter....
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 am
You want fleshed out we will give you fleshed out!
dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 am
Can a sci-fi dwarven KS get enough money for all of that?
As read Rabbit's fleshing out I came to the same question as you dice4hire, and then I thought what if all the walls were basic but also magnetic so that the huge amount of space ship décor was magnetic panels or small magnetic accessories.

I myself have no need of Sci-fi but if the huge Dwarvenite molds were reduced down to say 5 or 6 tiles and everything else was small or flat one sided panels that would lower mold costs and actually increase space ship variety options.
We were not necessarily thinking of magnets more clever sculpting allowing clip-in inserts, but magnets would do the trick more than nicely.

There will be very few different walls and floors

It would lack for variation but then that suits the environment

There are a lot of consoles but you can have as many or as few variations as suits mold availability

Each different encounter does not add many unique sculpts, mostly centring around one, Plasma Core, Engine, Weapon Mount and barrel.

The detail pieces are what increases the sculpt count, but some of these could be combined into a single sculpt, bunk beds and beds, gurneys and suspensor Carriages, etc.

An alternative KS structure could be just selling Walls, Floors and doors, with add-ons for the rest, using the encounters as pledge levels or examples of what could be built.

Backers like to just buy the bread and butter sculpts, but also need their imaginations spoon-fed with what they can build.

The big issue is would it sell, while you would loss fantasy RPGers you would gain wargamers as SF is huge in wargaming terms – but you do need a lot to cover a table.

But if you push toward board games like Space hulk you start to expand your customer base.

There are very few options in market for Spaceship internals, there are some but none would be as modular.

The gaming option with something like this is huge, W30k/W40k ship boarding actions, Alien, Aliens, Doctor Who ‘Robots of Death’ anyone? even Red Dwarf.

We can see Daleks, Cybermen, Aliens, Predators, Terminators, the whole W40k galaxy of races all roaming the corridors.

Also this is not restricted to spaceships but can easily be used as a Military or subterranean bunker, Terminator, Doctor Who ‘Genesis of the Daleks’, Agents of Shield, Starship Troopers II (yeah we said it), Fallout.

Might have mixed a few computer games in there ;)

Honestly – really don’t expect it to happen, but we’d go in deep if it happened.

But we are speculating on the last DF KS (for whatever reason) so why not shoot for the Stars*

*Literally in this case :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 am
You want fleshed out we will give you fleshed out!
dice4hire wrote:
As read Rabbit's fleshing out I came to the same question as you dice4hire, and then I thought what if all the walls were basic but also magnetic so that the huge amount of space ship décor was magnetic panels or small magnetic accessories.

I myself have no need of Sci-fi but if the huge Dwarvenite molds were reduced down to say 5 or 6 tiles and everything else was small or flat one sided panels that would lower mold costs and actually increase space ship variety options.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am

dice4hire wrote:
Hey we are just the ideas bunnies, finance is not our forte, every Stefan/Nate needs a Jay.
William wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 am
I get the feeling, we have a Super-Space-Bunny in our midst. ;) :lol:

'Valoria we have a problem'

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 am

I get the feeling, we have a Super-Space-Bunny in our midst. ;) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 pm
William wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:43 pm
Village (Yes, yes, yes) and a few large temple pieces, like the entry by Elye. Maybe a few new roof ideas too.
If DF ever does a Dwarvenite temple entrance like Elye did in his Griffin Tamer Studio KS I hope they make the intricate carvings on the pediment removable. Elye did a great job making the two sides different but having each side be a different generic pediment that custom inserts could be used on would be even better. I could see the DF KS coming up with around four different Dwarvenite pediment inserts and others making custom resin inserts.
I really like this idea of the custom inserts with different glyphs/languages! Very cool way to instantly change up the theme on a big setpiece, even if it just came with alternate dwarven/elven glyphs or something similar.

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:09 pm
Jungle and desert were mentioned but have not seen much fleshing out. Belly of the beast is certainly new and would come with its own flesh, Sci-fi, City and Castle would be redos for DF.
:lol:

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 am

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:27 am

Just wanted to sya if you have read through all that weel done, sadly thats 10 minutes of your life you wont get back! but treat your self to a nice juicy orange carrot or whatever you eat for pleasure :)

We would like to add that it was a lot of fun coming up with the above, and it would have bee really easy to add so much more, teleporters, defensive internal weapon mounts, Torpedo bays, garderobes!

And we nearly forgot the Holodeck of convenience for GDM :)

Also it easy to see how complicated it can be, especially with styles, so many different SF styles, going through our minds while writing this was:

W30K (lots of shipboard combat in the Horus Heresy), Star Trek of all types, Doctor Who, Star wars, Wing Commander, Blake’s seven, Darkstar, Silent running.

We will stop there as we have embarrassed ourselves enough. hope you found it interesting :)

Return to “Questions?”