What’s the latest on when KS7 launches?

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What’s the latest on when KS7 launches?

Post by zenako » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:07 pm

There are a number of rapidly developing mitigation treatments that seem very promising and have been shown to reduce the duration of the critical stages of the infection, and that is very important. There are also some vaccines in early testing that so far are being very effective in early tests, that are based on the approach taken with the SARS and MERS virus vaccines since the new one is from the same family. I would not be surprised to find some of those candidates get fast-tracked to testing and if there is no perceptible systemic downside, they get deployed in certain areas and then widely. (Some folks are just allergic to even the normal flu vaccine and how it is formulated.) I am hopeful that some or all of these things will prove out and effective treatments are available sooner than later. By my nature, I am the glass is half full kind of person in all circumstances.

Herd immunity is a thing, which is why every year, even thou tens of millions get the flu they do not swamp the local health system since so many are immune or vaccinated that spreading it is harder and goes slower. Also most flus tend to have shorter really bad dwell times which helps turnover in the medical system and also gives more capacity.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:49 pm

600lbpanther wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:52 pm
I'm going to live forever.

Bring on KS7.

I have 10k to spend and I'm ready.
Some assumed you were already dead ;)

Good to see you alive and kicking Panther :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:48 pm

So there is some good stuff here on the what COVID19 does and how we are fighting it and the values of social distancing.

In the UK we have seen how the government are trying to restricted the strain on the NHS so current cases do not overwhelm their resources.

Which makes sense, but what no one seems to want to spell out is that this current enforced social distancing will be the first of several.

Until a robust vaccine is produced, then the virus will keep spreading, social distancing slows it down. The best way to get through this pandemic will be for the healthy to catch it and breeze through it or be able to be treated by the Health services.

Once you have survived you will either be more resistant or even immune to further outbreaks. So you can now go about your daily lives (kinda).

So to keep those that suffer more from overwhelming the Health services, you impose social distancing and various lockdowns, then once the cases ease off you remove the distancing and lockdowns, let the virus spread again, infecting the healthy then go back into distancing and lockdown keeping the numbers down that the health services have to deal with.

So the cycles continue until either a vaccine or all the healthy have been through it and proven to be either immune or less vulnerable to repeat infections.

The above we think is termed herd immunity and is now we naturally fight similar if less deadly infections.

It also basically accepts that people will die, but the numbers kept down and is absolute pain and economic nightmare there is currently no other way of preventing more deaths.

What it fails to deal with is those that are at most risk, with current serious health issues. These cannot afford to catch COVID19 or they will most likely die, we are talking a minimum of 1.5 million people in the UK just over 2% of the population.

So until a vaccine with no side effects that affect their current conditions, is produced they have to remain in total isolation.

Things should get easier as more of the healthy populace recover from infection and can interact, but they will need a conclusive test that guarantees an accurate result. Before lifting the restrictions, especially if you come into contact with those at most risk.

Bottom Line = this isn't going away in a hurry :(
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Ventilators

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Another thing about ventilators, which contributes to the "shortage," is that normally a patient is on a vent for only a few days... with Covid-19 one patient can be on a vent for weeks.

So most of these new patients are using a device 4+ times longer than the usual patient.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:27 pm

600lbpanther wrote:
Bring on KS7.

Sweet Baby Jesus! Do you have openings in your game? :lol:

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm

600lbpanther wrote:

Bring on KS7.

It’s a panther!

Hi kitty. Nice kitty.

600lbpanther
Goblin
Goblin

Post by 600lbpanther » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Bring on KS7.

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:51 pm

I can't speak to whether or not that is true about people on ventilators, but based on my understanding (realizing of course I'm not a medical professional) that's not entirely surprising. The issue is that while for the vast majority of us, the virus will either manifest in little to no symptoms, or at worst a really bad cold/flu like set of symptoms, in some people (those in the high risk group for instance) it rapidly runs out of control. What happens is the virus enters your body and your immune system kicks in to start to fight it. This is what often causes the fever, headache, cough, etc. Your body is working to get rid of the invader and the side effect of that is those symptoms. Usually, though the immune system gets the job done and then goes back to normal.

With Covid though, in some patients, the immune system just keeps the pedal to the metal so to speak (I'm sure I'm over simplifying). What ends up happening then is that it overwhelms the body and fluid starts to build up in the lungs -- leading to the shortness of breath. As the fluid continues to build it becomes harder and harder to breath, ultimately requiring a ventilator and/or steroids to help the lungs out. The problems though are a) we still don't really know why it does this is some cases but not most, and b) that while we can assist with the symptoms (using ventilators) we still can't really address the cause (the virus itself). So the ventilators help of course, but ultimately if I understand it correctly, its still up to the body to just figure it out on its own. There's not currently a "magic treatment" that kills it. You can't just "take two and call me in the morning" or go in and remove the tumor, etc. This also creates a secondary issue. Because the steroids for instance don't actually address the virus, just the symptoms, the patients do stay on the ventilators. While the ventilators can be reused, they can only be hooked up to so many people at once, further causing a shortage. (Technically the FDA guidelines I believe are for one person per ventilator, though I believe in NY they have suspended that and are allowing two patients per vent. I have no idea what long term effects this could cause).

As I said, I'm sure this is a very oversimplified explanation as I don't fully follow all the medical details and I'm sure a doctor or even a nurse could much better explain it. Long story short, its a nasty little bugger of a virus in a lot of ways, even if most of us have very little to worry about.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 am

Since this has evolved into the COVD-19 forum... I heard a news report on NPR this morning that a study indicates that most folks that end up on ventilators still end up dying or cannot be removed from them. Particularly depressing along with all the rest of it. I am glad that I have the good fortune to live in a rural area where social distancing is easy. Three weeks ago (starting on the 13th) I took a ~3600 mile road trip in 4 days for a test event in the desert SW that was cancelled (so we got almost there and then were told the mission was canceled and immediately started drive back to base). It was very eerie crossing the southern United States as the implications of social distancing descended upon us. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch on the 16th (it was the only restaurant still open in that Kentucky town) and they hurriedly served us and asked us not to linger since our servers were being terminated in 2 hours. Very surreal. Here's to staying safe until the spectre passes.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Gargs454
Orc
Orc

Post by Gargs454 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 pm

No problem, though actually looking back at my post, doing nothing and assuming everyone contracted the virus, the mortality rate would mean 2.1 million Americans based on the most recent study. For some reason I based it on 100 million Americans, not 300 million. The bottom line is that social distancing really is, unfortunately, quite necessary if we are to greatly reduce the damage.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”