Grand Pieces - If you could only choose one...

If you could only purchase one, which would you buy?

Resin Dreadportal
22%
Resin Hellscape Gate
27%
Dwarvenite The Hellgate
51%

Total votes: 49

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Grand Pieces - If you could only choose one...

Post by zenako » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:57 am

I do own a rather limited amount of resin (most of it DF) and the biggest drawback I have is the storage space and care to avoid breakage. They are not delicate, but unlike dwarvenite, I cannot see dropping them onto a tile floor and not even worrying about damage to it (as I did with some DoD parts yesterday when putting them away - had way too many in the hands when moving from the game table to the storage shelves).

More detail is great, but frankly, most of my players would not focus on the details. If I were setting up scenes and dioramas then the added detail of most well-made resin casts would be outstanding. The feature here is getting a cool gatehouse that can be used in a variety of settings, but it will still have storage concerns. One can nest dwarvenite real tightly without concern, (and I do). I still keep my resin pieces in the boxes with the storage foam inserts for protection (or out on a display shelf).

Bastard of Buffalo

Post by Bastard of Buffalo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:06 am

Agreed! I did up my pledge last minute to get these pieces but it came as a sacrifice to the light panels. I know I can spend more on the PM but my wife has me firmly locked in where I am. So no room for more. I hope to walk out of the PM with at least 5 light panels though. I thought they added something special to this KS and with ideas going around that they would find more reasons to use them, I figured why not!

And it's great to be here Rabbit! Thank you!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 am

Bastard of Buffalo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:21 am
I'm adding both LE peices to my PM. I mean, why not?
If you can afford it why not indeed - as d4h points out it should have a decent resale value.
We will make our final decision in the PM. Depends how much other cool stuff would be cut to get them.

Welcome to forums BoB :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Definitely leans to the ceramic type feel... although it is different and heavier than most ceramics.

From one of their old web sites:

"The Dwarven Forge Resin sets are made of rock hard polystone.

Polystone is a manufacturing medium used for cast sculptures. It is a compound made up largely of polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives which gives it a significant weight, a porcelain-like feel, and an incredible ability to capture the most minute detail.

Polystone is durable and highly effective at maintaining a sharp paint finish. Unlike porcelain which is fired in an oven, Polystone is a cold-cast material in which no heat is used in the manufacturing process, resulting in much greater variations of paint finish.

While rock-hard, they are fragile and can break or chip."

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:45 pm

I'd say it is closer to ceramic in feel and heft. Pretty tough though. I think I know what you mean by "plastic-feeling" and this isn't it.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 pm

I've asked this a while back I think and can't recall the response. I don't own any DF resin, and I know "resin" can really be a whole range if material when it comes to minis and terrain.

Is this DF resin the ceramic-feeling kind, or the plastic-feeling kind (if that makes sense at all, not sure how to describe it).

I get the sense that it's more like ceramic the way others have described the weight of it compared to dwarvenite, but wasn't sure.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 am

Stefan has stated multiple times that he brought his resin from convention to convention with minimal issues.

The only time my resin has broken is in transit (a sci-fi wall broke) and with a 4 year old ago tried to squish two tables together. Other than that, no breaks.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Bastard of Buffalo

Post by Bastard of Buffalo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:21 am

I'm adding both LE peices to my PM. I mean, why not?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:51 pm

I am not worried about me breaking the resin at my home, but I am slightly worried about in transit, though I know DF would make it good in that case.

If you are interested, I would recommend to get it. I am sure it will have great resale value if you change your mind in a year or two.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Oh the choices, i hear the resin is somewhat fragile and then others say its not too fragile, all while I wanted the resin gate originally, then thought the portal would be more flexible depending on the setting but was recently leaning towards the Dwarvenite Hellgate. And then my mind begins thinking things all over again. DF is really pulling a fast one here with these "never coming back" promotions. I feel like i'm gonna miss out on the car deal of a lifetime. But my budget says I should just get the Hellgate and be done with it. I'm sure I'll change my mind 10 times over by the time the PM arrives.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”