Orc
Orc

Re: Hero Quest-like Use...and some childhood nostalgia

Post by combs1ng » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 pm

fnordfriendly wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:03 pm
combs1ng wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am
WOW, nice job fnordfriendly! I really like what you have done and may even take a couple ideas from your game mechanics. You really stayed within the HQ meta. Our design encompasses some HQ elements but more closely resembles DnD in terms of a d20 system and more complex/customized monsters. We also drastically elevated the heroes with leveling mechanics and special skills for each. Instead of 4 we increased the hero count to eight and I am currently creating 64 spells (8 lores each with 8 spells - Heavens, Life, Water, Wind, Earth, Fire, Shadow, Death). The hero classes are: Moonstalker Druid, War Priest, Witch Hunter, Elemental Sorceress, Furtive Warlock, Barbarian Warrior, Arcanist Pathfinder and Half-Giant. As you mentioned, the flow can be trivial and monotonous at times in HQ and therefore we wanted a more "open" world - hence the need for DF terrain tiles! I started with DoD which was perfect for our needs and then ordered some CD. Now I am awaiting the Plaguestone (perfect for our purposes) and Hellscape terrain and should round out with some additional Wildlands terrain. This will provide us enough pieces to endlessly create new dungeon boards and landscapes.

What card creator program are you using with the images from Ye Old Inn? Is that program from there as well? I love how you were able to customize them so well. I would appreciate any information on the entire card producing process. My next endeavor was going to be some research on how to create all the cards for magical items and monsters - but it needs to be a fully customizable system.

Thanks for the great post!

Love the more thematic classes you have going there... it's a definite improvement over "elf" and "dwarf." And you can't go wrong with a d20 based combat system. Having more options for spell decks is also a great idea, nice job on that as well. Sounds like a blast!

The program I use is called Card Creator, which I found on Steam. It's 40.00$ US right now, it's gone up in price as they've added functionality to it. It's a great program, and you can crank out good-looking cards without much of a learning curve. I've learned over time to approach it like photoshop - you end up needing a lot of layers. Once you get the hang of it, well, it can be time consuming but not overly so.

I would be happy to do a quick and dirty video tutorial on how to do some of this stuff, if you decide you want to buy the software. I need a reason to learn how to use my screen record software anyway. Let me know!
Thanks for the info. I will have to check out Card Creator when I get the chance and are closer to my card design phase of creation. A tutorial video sounds great and something I would really appreciate and I'm sure several others might too.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:00 am

These Kwarp sets look amazing! Was one monster sewers set enough to build a setup surrounding Kwarps sewers?
Mmm you need many walls. So may be not. I bought several monster sewer sets. Can't tell you how much Walls are needed if you wanna close everything.
Also what other european company are you talking about?`
MiniWorlds that is now the property of the second famous italian sculptor and shop : dungeonext.
By the way I think the Tom you mentioned is also responsible for me hunting down the old resin sets
For sure.

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:03 pm

combs1ng wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am
WOW, nice job fnordfriendly! I really like what you have done and may even take a couple ideas from your game mechanics. You really stayed within the HQ meta. Our design encompasses some HQ elements but more closely resembles DnD in terms of a d20 system and more complex/customized monsters. We also drastically elevated the heroes with leveling mechanics and special skills for each. Instead of 4 we increased the hero count to eight and I am currently creating 64 spells (8 lores each with 8 spells - Heavens, Life, Water, Wind, Earth, Fire, Shadow, Death). The hero classes are: Moonstalker Druid, War Priest, Witch Hunter, Elemental Sorceress, Furtive Warlock, Barbarian Warrior, Arcanist Pathfinder and Half-Giant. As you mentioned, the flow can be trivial and monotonous at times in HQ and therefore we wanted a more "open" world - hence the need for DF terrain tiles! I started with DoD which was perfect for our needs and then ordered some CD. Now I am awaiting the Plaguestone (perfect for our purposes) and Hellscape terrain and should round out with some additional Wildlands terrain. This will provide us enough pieces to endlessly create new dungeon boards and landscapes.

What card creator program are you using with the images from Ye Old Inn? Is that program from there as well? I love how you were able to customize them so well. I would appreciate any information on the entire card producing process. My next endeavor was going to be some research on how to create all the cards for magical items and monsters - but it needs to be a fully customizable system.

Love the more thematic classes you have going there... it's a definite improvement over "elf" and "dwarf." And you can't go wrong with a d20 based combat system. Having more options for spell decks is also a great idea, nice job on that as well. Sounds like a blast!

The program I use is called Card Creator, which I found on Steam. It's 40.00$ US right now, it's gone up in price as they've added functionality to it. It's a great program, and you can crank out good-looking cards without much of a learning curve. I've learned over time to approach it like photoshop - you end up needing a lot of layers. Once you get the hang of it, well, it can be time consuming but not overly so.

I would be happy to do a quick and dirty video tutorial on how to do some of this stuff, if you decide you want to buy the software. I need a reason to learn how to use my screen record software anyway. Let me know!

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:18 am

fnordfriendly
Orc
Orc

Post by fnordfriendly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Heh. I just spent 6 weeks revamping original HeroQuest... probably cut out 500 prototype cards in the process and went through about 5 printer ink cartridges. I made a co-op version with monster AI and a choose-your-own-adventure style quest book.

After all that, I found something about the flow of the game I didn't care for. It's just a bunch of random rooms - doesn't matter where you go first. You're just wandering aimlessly until you find the objective room. Open door, fight. Open door, fight, search. It's repetitive and there are no meaningful decisions. Searching and drawing treasure cards are totally random, so again no decision-making. It's the nostalgia though.

I loved it as a kid, and still have fond memories of it. There is something about the simplistic play that's appealing still, though I find in practice it's tedious to play. I haven't given up on updating it. My goal is to create a version that's true to the spirit of the original, while being more dynamic and thoughtful in-play.

For those who are doing something similar to revamp the game, read on...

---

All card images are from Ye Olde Inn, a great HQ resource as has already been mentioned. Here are my current files, just for a sample of what I'm doing. I'm just posting this for inspiration, and because I'm interested in this sort of thing - if anyone else has similar files to share, I'd love to see them.

Card Fronts pdf

Quest Book

Search Descriptions

Bear in mind, these are works in progress, and some of this needs a major revamp.

Here's how it plays so far:

The four original heroes are the spirit of the game incarnate, so I tried to stay true to the originals. On the hero cards, notice they each have 3 rows of colored "d12" symbols in different distributions. These are their abilities: Strength (red), Agility (green), and Wisdom (blue). They're rated in 12-sided dice, and each hero gets the dice depicted on his hero card when the game starts.

These abilities tell the hero how many dice to roll when he performs a task related to that ability. In combat, melee attacks use red dice, ranged use green, and magic use blue. They also act as prerequisites for what equipment cards can be used.

Monster cards have 3 corresponding shield symbols with defense numbers. When a hero attacks a monster, he rolls his attack dice and compares them to the monster's defense of the same color. Any dice rolled that meet or beat the defense score a 'hit' and deal damage based on the weapon used. Weapon cards describe how much damage is done - cards with an 'X' mean '1 damage per die that hits,' while cards with 1 or more skull symbols mean one damage per skull. Some weapons have both, and the damages are added.

When a monster attacks a hero, he has a predetermined attack number - you don't roll attacks for monsters. Rather, you roll defense dice for the heroes. A hero can roll black dice for defense, granted by armor, or he can roll dice of the same type as the monster's attack (or they can be combined). Each die that rolls => the monster's attack number blocks 1 damage.

Dice are set aside as they're rolled - they're in time out until the next round starts. Once you roll a die, it can't be used again until the next round.

That's the core of the system. Equipment cards also have purple (primary) and orange (off-hand) hand symbols. This shows you what cards can be used in combination on your turn. An orange symbol with a purple background means either hand can be used. If you want to use two weapons to attack twice, you can. You can wield a broadsword in one hand and a dagger in the other, splitting your red dice as you attack multiple monsters. Or you can use a shield to add defense dice.

There are two modes of play - exploration mode and combat mode. If there are any monsters on the board, you're automatically in combat mode. As soon as there are none, you're automatically in exploration mode.

During exploration mode, heroes wander around the board at will, until they stop at something they want to search. This will be either a door or a feature. Each hero has 1 search token - when he performs a search, he expends it. Heroes regain their search token as soon as all four heroes have spent their tokens. This means everyone has to search once before any hero searches again. Searching means rolling blue Wisdom dice and consulting the "Search Roll" chart in the quest book. Only your highest die roll counts, and during exploration mode you don't expend dice like in combat mode, they're all available for any given roll.

You might be too hasty, or too loud, or take too much time (you rolled low), which would spawn a wandering monster, monster patrol, or trigger a trap. The barbarian is really good at this, since he only has 1 blue Wisdom die. The entries on the Search Roll chart will tell you how many peril tokens to draw (blindly from a cup), there are 6 tokens; 5 blue and 1 red. You always draw and remove peril tokens until the red one is drawn, then you must resolve an event. After, they all go back in the cup. The better you search, the fewer peril tokens you have to draw.

Once you resolve the Search roll, you would turn to the entry indicated in the description of the feature (or the door would open if searching a door - which you must always do to open a door) and read it.

Before searching anything, all heroes must place their figures where they want on the board - since movement is free and only restricted by closed doors and walls, you just "queue up" - although the trap event cards are designed to occasionally attack heroes in corridors, in the same room as the searching hero, etc.

Those are the basics. I added an initiative roll (Agility) that the hero who opened the door must roll. If he rolls => than, the heroes go first. Otherwise the monsters go first.

There's a "threat track" I added at the last minute, which basically increments at the end of each round and when a monster activates but doesn't make its attack. When it gets to a certain number, the monsters get reinforcements. It's basically there to add tension - the monsters might get reinforcements if the heroes take too long.

The monster AI is something I need to simplify. Originally, I had coded each monster to prioritize the hero with the most X Ability dice... red, green or blue. Not sure if I want to keep that.

Here are some sample images, if you don't want to bother with files:

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 pm

combs1ng wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am
arsthein wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 am
HeroQuest, at young age of 14 (if I remember correctly) after being hooked for years with the Fighting-Fantasy and Lone Wolf gamebooks, were responsible for me finally ending involved in RPG's at age 16.

I warmly remember filling pages and pages of self-made HQ adventures as a child in summer mornings, and then I would eagerly wait for my older brother to come home from work to play them... every-single-day!!! Damn those were amazing times. Definitely a Pavlovian positive reaction to HeroQuest nailed to my core by that.

With that seed planted in my heart from childhood/young adulthood, 16 years ago Mage Knight (and Mage Knight Dungeons) made me fall back and also into miniatures, and almost immediately after that, in Dwarven Forge's grasp.

Some 10+ years ago I initiated my nephews with HeroQuest adding a lot of cards of treasure, equipment, spells, and a bunch of in-house rules.
That's awesome to hear arsthein! We are basically doing what you did for your nephews by combining the DnD 5e rules with the DnD Advanced miniatures rules and mechanical aspects from HQ.
Maaan that sounds great! I envy you in a healthy way... fun times ahead for sure! Enjoy the hell out of it!

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:35 am

arsthein wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 am
HeroQuest, at young age of 14 (if I remember correctly) after being hooked for years with the Fighting-Fantasy and Lone Wolf gamebooks, were responsible for me finally ending involved in RPG's at age 16.

I warmly remember filling pages and pages of self-made HQ adventures as a child in summer mornings, and then I would eagerly wait for my older brother to come home from work to play them... every-single-day!!! Damn those were amazing times. Definitely a Pavlovian positive reaction to HeroQuest nailed to my core by that.

With that seed planted in my heart from childhood/young adulthood, 16 years ago Mage Knight (and Mage Knight Dungeons) made me fall back and also into miniatures, and almost immediately after that, in Dwarven Forge's grasp.

Some 10+ years ago I initiated my nephews with HeroQuest adding a lot of cards of treasure, equipment, spells, and a bunch of in-house rules.
That's awesome to hear arsthein! We are basically doing what you did for your nephews by combining the DnD 5e rules with the DnD Advanced miniatures rules and mechanical aspects from HQ.

Cody N
Orc
Orc

Post by Cody N » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Arravis wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:40 pm
I thought those in this thread might enjoy this, cause the best thing about Hero Quest is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
I came here just to make sure that someone had posted that link.

arsthein
Ogre
Ogre

Post by arsthein » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 am

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:26 am

William wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:22 pm
combs1ng wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:19 pm
Arravis wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:40 pm
I thought those in this thread might enjoy this, cause the best thing about Hero Quest is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
Yep, loved this video and have watched it several times before - classic!
Ditto and I never knew about HQ before that video. :lol:
Oh William, HQ was/is great!! The only reason we still don't play is our adult needs of complexity and variability. I can't stress how much we enjoyed it, even with its fairly linear gameplay...

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”