Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: CITY of Doom!

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Talistran wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm
Law wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 pm
I wasn't sure where the best place was for this thread, but I decided it made the most sense here.

I realized that KSV included pieces that work REALLY WELL with the city pieces from KSIII. Just like KSIV gave us not only new alleys and cool roof pieces, but also towers and bases which add variety to a city layout, so KSV includes some elements which brought the KSIII city set back to life for me.

Specifically, I used water terrain trays, elevation arches and blocks, and the large elevation tray, to make a port city I could never have made before. The water trays were the most obvious element, and what gave me the idea - but the elevation tray made it easier to build an elevated city with a drop-off to the water below, and the arches made it possible to give the harbor an even more distinctive feel.

Very nice to see how well all the different sets interact with one another. KSIV's alleys were obviously made for KSIII, and the new roofs were meant to be expressly backwards compatible. But it's always cool when you realize something works well with another set where it wasn't obvious that DF meant it to be used that way. My port layouts are some of my favorite cities ever, and I really needed KSV to make it possible.

I agree. So far, each kickstarter has made my setups better, even if they aren't direct improvements.

Totally agree :) each KS enhances the previous ones
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:12 pm

I love the careful thought DF has put into compatibility and cross-use with existing product, especially the past few years. And I also love the "accidental" or "creative" cross-uses that everyone here comes up with.

Artistry and modularity remain the top selling points for DF for me over everything else out there.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Law wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 pm
I wasn't sure where the best place was for this thread, but I decided it made the most sense here.

I realized that KSV included pieces that work REALLY WELL with the city pieces from KSIII. Just like KSIV gave us not only new alleys and cool roof pieces, but also towers and bases which add variety to a city layout, so KSV includes some elements which brought the KSIII city set back to life for me.

Specifically, I used water terrain trays, elevation arches and blocks, and the large elevation tray, to make a port city I could never have made before. The water trays were the most obvious element, and what gave me the idea - but the elevation tray made it easier to build an elevated city with a drop-off to the water below, and the arches made it possible to give the harbor an even more distinctive feel.

Very nice to see how well all the different sets interact with one another. KSIV's alleys were obviously made for KSIII, and the new roofs were meant to be expressly backwards compatible. But it's always cool when you realize something works well with another set where it wasn't obvious that DF meant it to be used that way. My port layouts are some of my favorite cities ever, and I really needed KSV to make it possible.

I agree. So far, each kickstarter has made my setups better, even if they aren't direct improvements.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:05 pm

Yeah the trays work GREAT for having multiple levels (sewers, anyone?) and having very easy access to the terrain below.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 am

The Elevation trays are really useful for significant elevations that would have been much more difficult without them.

You can use 8x8 floors and CBS pegs and walls if needed, useful but nowhere near as versatile and easy to use.

We used both methods as we ran out of elevation trays - much prefer trays :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:34 pm

You could use the cavern and cave pats for a Caribbean feel too.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

CITY of Doom!

Post by Law » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 pm

(The port city threads are here:

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=10689

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=10697

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=10694

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=10688

https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13&t=10692)

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”