Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Question about terrain tray sizes

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:35 am
Ok I remember them saying that now.

How long until a single piece is two scales?

My next post needs to be a good one.
What next post ? ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:40 am

It's also an issue if you use them as a ground cover as the edges don't line up at all. I had that issue when trying to use my water ones (KS and webstore sizes) for a lake. They didn't really work well together unless I used a lot of other terrain to mask the difference in sizes by creating a shore for the lake in certain areas. There's no way I could make a big lake with mismatched sizes, it has to be virtually all the same or just the corner areas being a different size. But I think going full 12" is a good idea in the end. The only exception to this in my opinion is an encounter like the Acid Bath, where the extra material can create a problem.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:29 am

The size difference does not make much of a difference if you are just using them on the base level. The main time the larger ones become an issue is if you are using them to support upper levels of a multilevel structure or build and end up with cloth edges protruding between the levels and that can look unsightly if you are building something where the exterior matters.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am

Going by most of your builds Law, you’d be more interested in Terrain TABLES! Rather than just mere trays lol ;)

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks! I really wasn’t following the trays info, because I mostly skipped them the first time around, and only added some much much later. Even now, I only have those two sets, which means unfortunately, the change is meaningful for me since it affects 50% of what I have. I don’t particularly like the trays for dungeons, but as is probably obvious by this point, I think they are super awesome and amazing when you want the whole ocean and don’t need it to be sculpted. ;)

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:35 am

Oh Mr Dice! 5 K posts for your next post!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:35 am

Ok I remember them saying that now.

How long until a single piece is two scales?

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:33 am

The size of Terrain trays has been increased. There is some discussion here :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10267&p=154955#p154955

Here is a copy paste of the DF bit on the size change:

Terrain Trays - Size Increase
One major change we've made to our Terrain Trays since KS5 - Dungeon of Doom, is increasing their size. Our original Trays were slightly smaller than a true 12" (about 11.75") to match the scale of the dungeon pieces. However, when building rooms that completely covered a terrain tray it was very difficult to pick up the build because the edge of the tray was flush with the pieces.

So we've increased the size of the new Terrain Trays to be a true 12". This makes it easier to pick up and move your builds. It also means the interior metal is slightly larger and gives better support to small pieces built to the very edge. We think this small size increase makes the Terrain Trays better across the boards.

I suppose with two scales for the actual terrain - the normal dungeon/cave scale and the true inch scale, they thought Terrain trays were left out so now there are two scales for those as well .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways, I have 2 cave water trays, and a "newer" lava tray that is LARGER as you are describing.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:14 am

I want to check mine now. And I will definitely check my CD ones once they arrive. Thanks for the heads up!!!!
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Question about terrain tray sizes

Post by Law » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 am

Has anyone received terrain trays that are not the same size?

I picked up two 12x12 water trays in the initial campaign, and when it hit the site I grabbed a set of 2 12x12 and 2 4x8.

Now I’m noticing that two of my 12x12 ones are noticeably smaller - I think it’s the second batch.

And what’s odd is that it doesn’t appear to be the cloth that’s smaller, meaning a smaller rim of cloth around a 12x12 metal tray. I think I’d heard they were going to start doing that. But no - to be clear, the METAL TRAY ITSELF is smaller. By a meaningful amount - maybe a quarter of an inch. Not so much that it’s devastating, but enough that it’s awkward if you want everything to line up. You end up with a big gap if you intend to use four 12x12 water trays to make a big expanse of ocean.

I can try to post pics later but I was just curious if anyone else had noticed this. Some people grabbed so many trays, surely this has come up before! I noticed it about a month ago but I kept forgetting to mention it.

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”