3X3 vs 2X2 For water falls

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: 3X3 vs 2X2 For water falls

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:52 pm

I have some interesting 4 bot cast to work with. I am thinking the Last of the Monikins style falls.

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:06 pm

The one inch falls do indeed look good. Wish i had more than one set of those so i could do the same.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 am

8-)
pacarat wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am
Great look on the thin falls. I think I have a couple volunteers waiting in my Alex drawers... :)
8-)

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am

Great look on the thin falls. I think I have a couple volunteers waiting in my Alex drawers... :)

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:55 am

I agree 8-) 8-) 8-)

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am

Oldent wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 am
zenako wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 am
Not sure why you would want to cut it into 1 part (do nothing) or 3 parts with each one being 2/3 of an inch wide? Unless you are thinking about some horizontal slicing. Cutting one into two 1 inch wide falls would still keep the viable use for a 2inch fall, but also lets you make a narrow 1 inch falls or a double height 1inch falls which could see some reason for existing and would likely be able to match up with many existing tiles. Having a 1inch fall drop into a 2in wide water body would be perfectly fine, as would a narrowing of the stream above the falls as well.

My question would be what would be the best way to actually slice that waterfall tile and not mar it up or otherwise crack it. Part of me thinks a hot knife might not be a bad solution, even if it melts a bit around the cut, it is supposed to be water and nonregular anyway.

I used a heavy/duty blade razor knife. I was afraid that the band saw would remove too much material.

I am not sure if I will cut one of the 1X1s . I want to experiment with the best way for me to make a 6X3 water fall.
Those 1inch falls look rather nice and are seriously tempting me to get one of mine under the knife. One thing that hurts immerision when building a scene is having all the special features all being the same size. You could have a couple of small streams/falls (1inch) dropping into a pound and then that pond pouring its outflow into the old waterfall (2inch) and create a more organic looking cascade.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:41 am

zenako wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 am
Oldent wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:02 am
William wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 pm
Bout the same as usual. ;)
You are missing a disorganized unfocused mess. Be glad :!: The good news is Nate is working toward a solution.When the concept models are presented to the artist they will shape up well. He will work on the concept waterfall models again next time.

The 6.66 delivery date will depend on how the factory recovers Shipping may start in June and may continue as late as September.
I missed it live and was watching it later last night. Clearly their first attempt at putting together a home stream. I applaud them for working to keep it going and not just dropping it altogether. I suspect it also gives some structure and focus to the day when they have to figure all the logistics out. Have not finished part 2 of the stream yet (later today).
The sound was much better. Now only if Nate would stop looking down and turning away from the camera so I could read his lips :roll:

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 am

zenako wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 am
Not sure why you would want to cut it into 1 part (do nothing) or 3 parts with each one being 2/3 of an inch wide? Unless you are thinking about some horizontal slicing. Cutting one into two 1 inch wide falls would still keep the viable use for a 2inch fall, but also lets you make a narrow 1 inch falls or a double height 1inch falls which could see some reason for existing and would likely be able to match up with many existing tiles. Having a 1inch fall drop into a 2in wide water body would be perfectly fine, as would a narrowing of the stream above the falls as well.

My question would be what would be the best way to actually slice that waterfall tile and not mar it up or otherwise crack it. Part of me thinks a hot knife might not be a bad solution, even if it melts a bit around the cut, it is supposed to be water and nonregular anyway.

I used a heavy/duty blade razor knife. I was afraid that the band saw would remove too much material.

I am not sure if I will cut one of the 1X1s . I want to experiment with the best way for me to make a 6X3 water fall.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:33 am

Oldent wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:02 am
William wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 pm
Bout the same as usual. ;)
You are missing a disorganized unfocused mess. Be glad :!: The good news is Nate is working toward a solution.When the concept models are presented to the artist they will shape up well. He will work on the concept waterfall models again next time.

The 6.66 delivery date will depend on how the factory recovers Shipping may start in June and may continue as late as September.
I missed it live and was watching it later last night. Clearly their first attempt at putting together a home stream. I applaud them for working to keep it going and not just dropping it altogether. I suspect it also gives some structure and focus to the day when they have to figure all the logistics out. Have not finished part 2 of the stream yet (later today).

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 am

Return to “Gaming Talk”