City builder idea!! one I havent seen talked about....

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: City builder idea!! one I havent seen talked about....

Post by Talistran » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:33 pm

lostpict wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 pm
I have the MDF arena from Hurlbat's KS. I bought the 12 section arena and a bunch of extras - it is very cool. That said it is a one off piece of terrain that rarely finds its way into a game.

So here is a design idea. Use the castle terrain as the basis for an arena. To do that we would need curved castle walls that match the current straight walls plus straight and curved bleachers to fit against the interiors of these walls. Also we would need some curved interior / exterior transition flagstones so that the curved walls could integrate into CBS. We could then use the same stuff to make cool fortifications with curved walls.
Yep, This!

I mentioned in on Facebook as well, but the gladiatorial arena would be specialized but could easily be made out of mostly castle parts (really just needs some seats/stands) added on, and some new castle wall curves and floors as mentioned above.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 pm

Unfortunately this would be far too niche for me to want to buy. I can cobble something together if
i feel the need.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Playmobil makes a decent plastic multi-part one.

Just needs a bit of texture and paint.

Luxspew
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Luxspew » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:15 pm

lostpict wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 pm
I have the MDF arena from Hurlbat's KS. I bought the 12 section arena and a bunch of extras - it is very cool. That said it is a one off piece of terrain that rarely finds its way into a game.

So here is a design idea. Use the castle terrain as the basis for an arena. To do that we would need curved castle walls that match the current straight walls plus straight and curved bleachers to fit against the interiors of these walls. Also we would need some curved interior / exterior transition flagstones so that the curved walls could integrate into CBS. We could then use the same stuff to make cool fortifications with curved walls.

Yeah, the Lever Chamber from Dungeon of Doom (Encounter 03) has some good pieces and the castle tower walls are a great idea too! but I'm thinking more like the Colosseum in Rome with more arches and openings.

MrMorden wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 pm
This comes up occasionally. The fact is an arena/colosseum has only one real use, and takes up a boatload of storage space — space most of us don’t have in addition to all our other hobby materials. It would be great to come up with an amazing DF layout that others could copy with existing pieces.

I think the best we could hope for are some sets that are easily buildable into an amphitheater type setup, and some scatter terrain with a colosseum feel to them.
and yes, it would only have 1 real use but I have a year + worth of material to use for it. I was thinking about making one out of foam but these guys always want those ideas and I have plenty! I know they are taking ideas for KS 8+ for the city / castle builder sets so I'm glad others are already talking about it.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 pm

This comes up occasionally. The fact is an arena/colosseum has only one real use, and takes up a boatload of storage space — space most of us don’t have in addition to all our other hobby materials. It would be great to come up with an amazing DF layout that others could copy with existing pieces.

I think the best we could hope for are some sets that are easily buildable into an amphitheater type setup, and some scatter terrain with a colosseum feel to them.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 pm

Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Luxspew
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Luxspew » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 pm

William wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 pm
Luxspew wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 pm
I have a great idea I'd like to see!

You guys have mostly everything one could ever need to build a city! but you guys are missing 1 great piece! a Colosseum!

so that's my idea! hope others will agree...
Hi Luxspew.
We have had a few discussions over the years, just no action from the crew that counts.

Here are a few links to previous threads on the subject and a few KickStarters also.
Dwarven Forges old Arena design, never produced.
Endar's Gladiator Arena - build by a Forumite.
Coloseum build by a Forumite. 'me'
Snap of a very cool arena, don't know much about it.
and
Gladiator Arena KS and DF Forum thread.
Rome KS and DF Forum thread.

Always in for stretching this envelope. Keep pushing for this... ;)
Woot, thanks for the links! I'll add, it should both be a circle and add square sides to make it longer or wider or both! because... modular

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:00 pm

Luxspew wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 pm

You guys have mostly everything one could ever need to build a city! but you guys are missing 1 great piece! a Colosseum!

Hi Luxspew.
We have had a few discussions over the years, just no action from the crew that counts.

Here are a few links to previous threads on the subject and a few KickStarters also.
Dwarven Forges old Arena design, never produced.
Endar's Gladiator Arena - build by a Forumite.
Coloseum build by a Forumite. 'me'
Snap of a very cool arena, don't know much about it.
and
Gladiator Arena KS and DF Forum thread.
Rome KS and DF Forum thread.

Always in for stretching this envelope. Keep pushing for this... ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Luxspew
Goblin
Goblin

City builder idea!! one I havent seen talked about....

Post by Luxspew » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Return to “Gaming Talk”