Recommendations for starter set?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
src1425
Kobold
Kobold

Re: Recommendations for starter set?

Post by src1425 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:17 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:05 pm

My boys started when they were about 12 (two years apart). When we built our house, we designed the basement to be the kid magnet - big wargaming room (my 'KZ' for 'kriegzimmer'). We've got two 5x10 tables that motor up to the ceiling, two tables under them they can land or or which can be used for smaller games on their own, a floor done in green 2" hex tile (for naval battles, and a boatload of shelving and drawers for DwF and a bunch of other accessories. AT their height I had sixteen kids in two groups. also ran Victorian Science Fiction campaign at the same time, and an adult DF (Dragonfire) game with largely gamer parents of kids in the regular DF games. That ran to about 26 gamers a month, four campaigns, each once a month....

As a result, most of those kids are still in contact with our boys. Eldest Offspring just got offline from a game run by an old DF buddy, in fact.

The building was well worth it. We always knew who the boys' friends were, what they were like, and what their parents were like!

I get your contentment!

TLW

That sounds awesome! Passing the baton to the next generation - good times!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun May 24, 2020 7:05 pm

src1425 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm
GODofwar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:35 pm
I wondered if you would mention the Dad Dividend on this gift!
TLW

Heck yeah!

I always hoped he would follow me into gaming (I started with the red box Basic D&D set when I was 13) but tried not to pressure him. I did some 4E with him back when he was 10 or so, but it didn't really take (with either of us). Freshman year of college he asked if I'd start a campaign for him and his friends, and now we're in our third year of a Pathfinder campaign. They also join me for the annual LARP camping trip with my old college friends. Can't begin to express how much of a joy it is to game with his group (they're all fantastic 21 year-old "kids"), so splurging on DF for him is just paying him back for being able to do this with him.
My boys started when they were about 12 (two years apart). When we built our house, we designed the basement to be the kid magnet - big wargaming room (my 'KZ' for 'kriegzimmer'). We've got two 5x10 tables that motor up to the ceiling, two tables under them they can land or or which can be used for smaller games on their own, a floor done in green 2" hex tile (for naval battles, and a boatload of shelving and drawers for DwF and a bunch of other accessories. AT their height I had sixteen kids in two groups. also ran Victorian Science Fiction campaign at the same time, and an adult DF (Dragonfire) game with largely gamer parents of kids in the regular DF games. That ran to about 26 gamers a month, four campaigns, each once a month....

As a result, most of those kids are still in contact with our boys. Eldest Offspring just got offline from a game run by an old DF buddy, in fact.

The building was well worth it. We always knew who the boys' friends were, what they were like, and what their parents were like!

I get your contentment!

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Mitch
Orc
Orc

Post by Mitch » Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm

src1425 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 am
Is there anything essential that's missing?
More doors. No, not the Tolkien place. Actual doors. I found that's one thing I lacked when I bought all my dungeon pieces.

src1425
Kobold
Kobold

Post by src1425 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:35 pm
TLW

Heck yeah!

I always hoped he would follow me into gaming (I started with the red box Basic D&D set when I was 13) but tried not to pressure him. I did some 4E with him back when he was 10 or so, but it didn't really take (with either of us). Freshman year of college he asked if I'd start a campaign for him and his friends, and now we're in our third year of a Pathfinder campaign. They also join me for the annual LARP camping trip with my old college friends. Can't begin to express how much of a joy it is to game with his group (they're all fantastic 21 year-old "kids"), so splurging on DF for him is just paying him back for being able to do this with him.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat May 23, 2020 2:35 pm

TLW
WeaselWarGod

src1425
Kobold
Kobold

Post by src1425 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 am

Okay, so I may have gone a little overboard. Here's what I've ordered for him:

5-CLADR-P Classic Dungeon Remastered Core Set 3
5-CLADAB-P Classic Dungeon Advanced Builder/Magnets/Painted 1
5-TERMW-P Terrain Tray Multi-Pack (Rough Stone/Water)/Painted 1
5-PASI-P Passages - Intersections/Magnets/Painted 1
5-PASH-P Passages - Hallways/Magnets/Painted 1
GT5-ND-P Narrow Dungeon Passage Pack - 1
5-VAUDUE-P Vaulted Dungeon Elevation/Painted 1
5-EPIC-P Epic Stairs/Painted 1
5-DUNB-P Dungeon Bridge/Painted 1
5-ELEB-P Elevation Block/Painted 1
5-DAISP-P Dais Platforms/Painted 1
5-CURDR-P Curved Daises (Red)/Painted 1
5-LARCMR-P Large Curved Daises (Red)/Painted 1
5-DOOR-P Doors/Magnets/Painted 1

I'm focusing just on dungeon sets as I'd rather give him one good setting to use than have just a few sets in different settings. Is there anything essential that's missing? I'm already over budget, but by buying now I don't have to worry about it later with the rest of my Christmas shopping.

Thanks all for the great advice - really appreciate it! He will be absolutely thrilled to finally have his own DF collection. And, well, I'll get to benefit too when I game with him.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri May 22, 2020 6:29 pm

NiandoBG wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:31 am
You went the classical route so far.

Encounter 05: The Gauntlet - Painted fits good to your selection and offers some more basic stuff together with some magnetic walls and traps.

You should also have a look at passages hallway / intersection.
They are very versatile.

I hope I could help.
May I asked how old your son is?
Second NiandoBG. The passages sets (https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/collectio ... ted?page=5) add tremendous flexibility at reasonable cost.

I have to disagree with Z (Zenako) about the doors pack ($75) and the floors pack. Save that variety for when you have more stuff.

I would get one really neat special piece. Your choice.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, no KS7.
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Thu May 21, 2020 3:54 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:11 pm
[Playmobile is fantasy roleplaying - just without dice or rules ;)
Maybe when you or your kids played with it, but don't rule out what really dedicated geeks can do with interested young kids and polyhedrals.... :D :D

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu May 21, 2020 12:11 pm

NiandoBG wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:25 pm
src1425 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm
NiandoBG wrote:
You may indeed! He's 21. We started gaming together about 3 years ago - I run a campaign for him and his college friends. He's started his own campaign, and is dying to get into DF, so this will be the centerpiece of his Christmas.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Awesome, I that’s really cool.
My father encouraged me to build My own Larp stuffs in the late 90ies early 2000s but never played rpgs with me.

I hope my niece will try to play a D&D game when they are older.
At the moment they are more interested in playmobil.

Playmobile is fantasy roleplaying - just without dice or rules ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Wed May 20, 2020 5:25 pm

src1425 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:01 pm
NiandoBG wrote:
You may indeed! He's 21. We started gaming together about 3 years ago - I run a campaign for him and his college friends. He's started his own campaign, and is dying to get into DF, so this will be the centerpiece of his Christmas.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Awesome, I that’s really cool.
My father encouraged me to build My own Larp stuffs in the late 90ies early 2000s but never played rpgs with me.

I hope my niece will try to play a D&D game when they are older.
At the moment they are more interested in playmobil.
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Return to “Gaming Talk”