Ice Caverns Painted!

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Ice Caverns Painted!

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 am

I think this is just about my fav ice set. Would love to see lights through them. I was looking around at ice sets as I plan to paint mine. I have keep them clear, but honestly it is a bit boring clear. This looks much better.

jasdotcom
Ogre
Ogre

Re:Ice Caverns Painted!

Post by jasdotcom » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:32 am

Of all the paint jobs that have posted of Ice Caverns I like this the best. I don't know if I'll be gutsy enough to cover so much but this is the look I will use as a template for my set. Thank you for sharing and be sure to post those pics when you get it lighted up!!

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:20 pm

I like what you have done here. I wouldn't have thought to cover up as much as you did, but the result is just spectacular. I can practically feel the chilling effect. Bravo, very nicely done.

Ethanon

Post by Ethanon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:22 pm

Just standard multi-surface acrylic paint from the local art supply store. I've never found much of a difference between "model" paint and acrylic paint at the art store. And generally you can buy a whole lot more from the art store for a reasonable price :) Although I was super tempted by the Dwarven Forge paints, but spent the money on the lizards and imp instead, lol.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:51 pm

I like the look of them. What paints did you use on them ?

Ethanon

Post by Ethanon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:54 pm

While the pieces are very blue and white, they are still very "transparent" I did a very watery base wash with the blue, and then a dry brush of a darker blue, and then finally a lite dry brush of white on top, and then spent some time on the top edges to make them look "snowy".

You can kind of see the light come through the left side of the caverns in the picture, so they are still pretty transparent. I plan on using LED's to highlight the transparency.

Once I get the LED's in, I'll have to post another picture, it just looks dark in this one because there is only really one bright light from above on a dark surface.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:01 am

Ethanon

Those really looks good. Very very white, but I do agree with kitenerd that I would not want to cover up as much of the clear goodness.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:59 am

A friend of mine mentioned last night when he saw the ones I painted with Tamiya clear blue that he thought they had been manufactured that way, and the only painting I did was the drybrush white on the floors. He was surprised when I showed him an unpainted piece.

I can see why he thought so, the Tamiya looks great on them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

^RIGOR^
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ^RIGOR^ » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:21 am

Very nice!! These ice cavern pieces are very versatile...you can paint them as you want and the result is always good!

JasonYoung
Orc
Orc

Post by JasonYoung » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:17 am

I like how all the Ice caverns paint jobs come out looking nice. =)

I'll likely do the same as kitenerd. But these are frosty!