Goblin
Goblin

Re: Why so long between restocks?

Post by realarete » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Riley wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:37 pm
kgallaghar wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:05 pm
But they show as 'sold out' if you go to checkout.
Of course.
Ugh, this all sounds about right ....

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:37 pm

kgallaghar wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:05 pm
Of course.

kgallaghar
Kobold
Kobold

Post by kgallaghar » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Riley wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:36 pm
In case anyone is interested, resin Catacombs 1 and 2 appear to have been restocked and available for purchase.

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:36 pm

In case anyone is interested, resin Catacombs 1 and 2 appear to have been restocked and available for purchase.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:22 pm

I remember seeing it mentioned that it takes six to eight months to receive a restock order from the time the order is actually placed.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:06 pm

The problem with that is that I think they sets are already produced or planned by the time we get to the preorder, so it is more of a reserve system than a true preorder where they could say "we are only making this if we get 500 preorders" or the like.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 pm

I think the other key thing that DF has done is create the preorder option for some of the larger sets which helps them hit critical mass for efficient shipping of a container from the factory. The preorder scheme also allows them to judge how much unmet interest there really is in some of those items since they take a deposit on those pre-orders. It is one thing to state you "really want more streets, or mountains or sewers" on these forums, it is another to plop down $25 or $50 or more to actually pre-order those items.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:30 pm

Naroon wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Thank you for a good explanation :) We just have to hope it restock soon I guess=)
I'm glad it was helpful for you. I think we all end up hoping that what we need will be restocked and still there when we have the funds. At least the restocks have become a bit more frequent than they used to be. If the KS continue to bring in more new customers they may be able to become a bit more reliable than they are now.

Naroon

Post by Naroon » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:04 pm

There is a great disparity in what people want. Some want more castle stuff, some want CBS, some want particular dungeon packs, etc. They have to pay the factory to bring the old mold out of storage and put it into the machine. Then they pay for the material and labor to run the mold however many times. The more times you run the mold, the cheaper it works out to be per run. So they have a minimum number of parts they need to make to keep their prices from going up. This means a given restock has to be made of a few minimum or more orders. They can't restock everything at once since they will be using something like half or a full shipping container which limits the size of the order. This also means they have inventory that trickles out the door in ones and twos over a year or more even if some things ordered sell out. They are a pretty small company, they can only afford so much standing inventory. The KS allows them to employ a full staff instead of only one or two with a bunch of contract work like they used to do. It also generates a lot of buzz and attention that a simple restock can't match. It enables the movement of a massive amount of inventory very quickly by comparison. It makes more sense for them financially.

I agree that more regular restocks would be wonderful. I just don't know how to sustain it reliably given their market. This isn't the same as childrens' toys or even board games. Even if the market has grown, it is still a niche of a niche market.
Thank you for a good explanation :) We just have to hope it restock soon I guess=)

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Naroon wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:02 am
I to am sad that it takes forever to restock the onlinestore and wahat I want to buy is always out of stock!

Why start a new kickstarter and use time on this, when people are screaming for more of the sets already avalible?
There is a great disparity in what people want. Some want more castle stuff, some want CBS, some want particular dungeon packs, etc. They have to pay the factory to bring the old mold out of storage and put it into the machine. Then they pay for the material and labor to run the mold however many times. The more times you run the mold, the cheaper it works out to be per run. So they have a minimum number of parts they need to make to keep their prices from going up. This means a given restock has to be made of a few minimum or more orders. They can't restock everything at once since they will be using something like half or a full shipping container which limits the size of the order. This also means they have inventory that trickles out the door in ones and twos over a year or more even if some things ordered sell out. They are a pretty small company, they can only afford so much standing inventory. The KS allows them to employ a full staff instead of only one or two with a bunch of contract work like they used to do. It also generates a lot of buzz and attention that a simple restock can't match. It enables the movement of a massive amount of inventory very quickly by comparison. It makes more sense for them financially.

I agree that more regular restocks would be wonderful. I just don't know how to sustain it reliably given their market. This isn't the same as childrens' toys or even board games. Even if the market has grown, it is still a niche of a niche market.