The Water Cavern Pack - So Close to being great!

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
Arbados
Orc
Orc

The Water Cavern Pack - So Close to being great!

Post by Arbados » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Tonight I took the time to manage my pledge for the wonderful Cavern Kickstarter. I \"pulled up\" the Dwarven Forge Map Maker to help me see what I would need to purchase by creating sample maps of my typical games. Everything was working just fine and I was very excited for I thought I actually had some extra cash to spend on additional add-on\'s. Unfortunately, then came the Water Cavern Pack!

First, I want to say, I LOVE IT! It is fantastic and I was in for 4 sets. However, when I tried creating a nice sized deep, dark, ominous, underground lake (OK, enough adjectives) I realized I really couldn\'t. Yes, I could create a decent sized underground lake, but in order to make it fairly large for my aboleth lords I had to add multiple tiles which created small islands of rock. I really didn\'t want that. In the end, no matter what I did I couldn\'t create the large, dark, ominous underground lake because the set only included 4 of the water only tiles. I mentioned this while the Kickstarter was going on and had many people agree with the need. It would be great if there was simply a water only add-on pack for those wishing to create larger water areas. This request is similar to the one for additional floor pieces which ultimately resulted in the floor add-on pack (which I purchased).

Anyways, back to my pledge and determining what I should spend my money on! I just needed to mention this.

blinky
Orc
Orc

Re:The Water Cavern Pack - So Close to being great!

Post by blinky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:14 pm

+1 for an open water pack.

I guess its too late for this KS, but perhaps if there is enough demand it could be offered later.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:23 pm

This would be an easy thing to add to the products page. The mold is already made, it\'s just a matter of ordering the pieces and packaging them. But there also needs to be money to place the order for additional pieces, and space in the cargo container(s) to ship them to the US. So it might not be until the next KS.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

tattooedtoad
Orc
Orc

Post by tattooedtoad » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:26 pm

also if they were to be 4x4 tiles that would be awsome

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:40 pm

tattooedtoad wrote:

also if they were to be 4x4 tiles that would be awsome

+1

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:25 am

tattooedtoad, 4x4 water tile would be even better! It\'s obvious I\'m not alone with this thought or desire. Who doesn\'t need or love big, deep, dark, obscure, mysterious, dangerous water areas (OK, more adjectives)!

Hopefully, Stefan and Jeff can see what can be done.

brvheart
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by brvheart » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:27 am

The June restock of Master Maze may include the Open Water Pack with 10 4x4 resin open water. I picked this up last year and am glad I did. Perhaps they can do a Dwarvenite version also.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 am

I know it sounds like the easiest thing in the world - just crank out more of dem pieces! - but an important bit of information we\'re not privvy to is, what does that open water tile share a mold with?

We know that up to 3 standard pieces can fit on a single mold. When you do a fill on that mold you\'re not making just an open water tile, you\'re making potentially 2 more extra pieces which may not be universally useful or hot sellers. Unless a single piece is such a high volume seller that it\'s worth dedicating a mold to multiple copies of it, which is a tough sell when these things are so expensive. (Plus there are logistics costs involved with managing an extra SKU.)

The good news is, if you\'re painting your own it\'s the easiest damn thing in the world to make more open water tiles - 2x2 squares of plywood, maybe bang em up with a rock or hammer if there\'s a texture on the open water tile you want to match, your flat \"deep water\" shade, gloss, done. You can easily do your own 4x4, or 2x8, or 12x12 or whatever.

If you\'re buying painted that\'s a different proposition of course. I\'m sure you\'ll be able to find someone here on the forum to sell you flat painted squares at a damn reasonable cost after all this ships though, if it comes to that.

bbrown365
Kobold
Kobold

Post by bbrown365 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:10 am

+1 open water pack

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:27 am

A 4\"x4\" open water tile is a good idea, but it would be a new mold (hopefully one of the less expensive ones) so might not be possible right now.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

Return to “Kickstarter Updates”