Build It and They will come???

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Re: Build It and They will come???

Post by Limbolance » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:43 am

The DF Lords have drained my wallet - plus I have about $1000 in unfulfilled KS tiles, miniatures, markers and dice still to arrive. Alas, I cannot afford everything but I can find time to get some of the very best!

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Did you miss out on the Wagon Kickstarter? That was an excellent mini kickstarter. They haven't delivered yet, but I am salivating over it.

Limbolance
Orc
Orc

Post by Limbolance » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:19 pm

I spent nearly $1000 on this KS, so I had to look at my Campaign and swallow the bullet; dropping the streets. In my campaign, a Thorpe doesn't even usually have any paved streets let alone ones 4 inches wide. I am currently building wagons with a maximum width of 1.75 inches (40cm) to make sure they fit on my (in the list of projects...) 2" streets. The look is stunning though and has forced his Lordship to pave the main streets (2 to 4 will get paved) and add a limited amount of sewers (Nobles, Worship, Merchant and Wharf areas) to the growing Thorpe. Having to purchase wooden buildings in addition to stone ones has also allowed expansion outside the Thorpe's walls (gotta use them somewhere). By the time its finished, I might just have a small Village soon...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm

I played with a Hamlet plus streets and found out two things:

1--I need at least three street sets to do any kind of decent playout. It is just hard to get curves and corners with less. Straight is doable, as well as mini cul-de-sacs.

2--Hamlet is not big enough for 3 sets of streets, let along an Imperial.

So I skipped streets. It is a regret, but with my budget I had to skip a lot.

I got sidewalks though, those are a great deal.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:14 pm

I bought Imperial and Wargamer streets to go with a buffed out Empire with lots of extra roofs.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Runeweaver » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Surprised so many people passed on streets. I picked up the imperial streets, and thought about picking up more (alleys), but the imperial streets pack basically had it all. No regrets.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:11 pm

To me the roofs and roads are what takes DF to the bext level converting DF into a town instead of what I could already do with the resin dungeon and MBS parts. Very exciting (and I love the stackable 4x4 floors, posts, & wall NJ odules too). I bought a ton of the DFKS4 buildings and plan for a big non-DF resin building purge next winter.
Regards,

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:34 pm

I did the opposite of most of you. I purchased sewers and streets. I had a limited budget so I did not get any buildings.I might order a roof set or two latter.I wanted the lion and the Book the most. When I get the book I will decide what direction I would like to take from there.I was disappointed there was no way to get the dwarf with the wheelbarrow.

I think the side walk idea may be best as you build up your collection of buildings. I also like the idea of sign post
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:26 pm

So I'm going to build an ancient, somewhat mythical roman city in the Channel Islands at the near end of the collapse of the empire and age of Arthur. The mix of stone and Stucco with my Romans will be perfect.
Regards,

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:34 pm

I couldn't pass on Imperial Streets, though maybe I made a mistake. I do like that lion, though, so I won't look back.

When everything was first being announced, I just assumed IS was the same thing as getting all the individual street sets, and if you got them all you got the extra piece. It was only later that I compared them and realized just how many more street pieces I was going to end up with.

I like the flexibility of having multiples, though, so while I doubt I'll ever do a layout that uses the whole set, I do think I'll benefit from having it. I'll be able to use a larger amount of the streets with decorative details or have more curves or do a larger plaza - the sorts of things I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.