Perfect (almost) Paint Match for Dungeon Gray

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Perfect (almost) Paint Match for Dungeon Gray

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm

jonmilton wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:47 am
I finally found a paint that's an (almost) exact match to the DwarvenForge "Dungeon Gray". I got it at Lowes "Fired Earth" 6011-1 and you can get a decent amount of paint as a sample for $4. It's satin finish and I think gloss would match better, but you can't get samples in gloss. Now that I know the color matches I will likely go back for a quart of gloss.

Here is an unpainted tile that I dabbed some paint onto with my finger to check the color match:

There is paint in 2 places... Maybe more lighting will help spot the difference:

Just in case you still can't see it:

There is a subtle difference in bright light with magnification, but in my hands I have to feel along the edges to find where the painted spot is. Not even joking.

Base coat with this and then use the official DF paints for a perfect match.
I was curious if you had tried the gloss paint... thanks!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:46 pm

jchunick wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:53 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 pm
bernyleung wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:12 pm
I think it's ok to have/use a lighter shade of base grey for KS4 (and KS3, for that matter). After all, in KS3/4 we are talking about fieldstone and quarried rocks for buildings that are exposed to the elements, and would be lighter due to constant sun exposure.

KS1/2/5 environments don't really see the light of day (generally), so would likely be slightly darker. Wetter environments even more so.
To be blunt, I don't care about "real-world" affects on stone and color, I care about modularity and compatibility with my various sets. Different colors distracts from their visual compatibility. I understand the need for different themes, however. I wish I could use my KS1 dungeons more with my CBS stuff without the jarring change in paint scheme. If it were different companies' products, I would 100% understand, but it's the same company. Even the narrow passages in KS2 and KS3 were painted different and had a different dwarvenite color but they used the same mold. I get complaining doesn't help anything, but I just want consistency.
Here's my own take on it (see my signature, as well)... to me, that's pretty much why there's painted and unpainted. Painted, in my mind, gives a couple of benefits to potential customers: the ability to buy the product and have it all ready to go out of the box; this is especially important to those who do not paint. Otherwise, you have all the options in the world to paint it yourself how you like.

All that being said, I agree that consistency is important as well. I would expect that colour choices are consistent between sets, but not necessarily across all sets. For instance, wanting the CBS floor to be a lighter colour would be a design choice by the company and yes, the company should be making that decision since it's their product. In some cases it's my personal belief that the base colour of the dwarvenite was probably predicated on removing a step in painting, and this seems to me to have been made during production.

Personal preferences and opinions aside, this all seems rather reasonable to me.
And see to me, it's akin to buying a part for a car or the other shoe in a pair. You expect them to match because they are supposed to be compatible with each other. While the part may fit on the car and the shoe may fit on your foot, if they don't look the same it causes discontent. If DF were a lower competitor in the RPG terrain market I would give them a pass, but as stated on the top of the screen "Devoted to Making the World's Finest Gaming Terrain." Inconsistency is hurting my image of that. I love the sculpts and I don't have the time to paint unpainted, so I buy painted. When I've spent over $8k over 3 kickstarters on this stuff, I expect a lot. I'm not buying a plaster HA set off of ebay. (No offense to Bruce, just using cheap casters/painters as an example)

I don't mean to complain, I mean to constructively criticize. This -NEEDS- be be cleared up and addressed. I thought it was a big enough issue during KS3 fulfillment with the size, grid, and colorgate issues that KS4 would have less problems in these aspects. I feel the scope was too great and we ended up with a lot of problems that should have been caught. Pac-man, paint colors, magnet strength, the bridges and tower adapters (big metal parts), round battlement stability, etc. DF is a small company and I get that, but they spent an extra 5 months on this stuff past the original fulfillment date (that they had never missed before!) due to in part some re-engineering of parts that apparently weren't up to snuff. Obviously QC was being done. Sorry for the bluntness, but while I'm happy I have my castle, I'm not happy after spending over $4k on it I have to mod/paint it to correct issues that should have been caught. I love DF and Stefan, I just feel over the past 2 kickstarters we've had so many set compatibility issues that it's jarring to me. To me it's as if my resin cavern sets and my resin cavernous passage sets didn't have the same paint scheme, or if one of the pieces in a resin set was a different color scheme than the rest of the set pieces.

Anyhoo, off my soapbox. Probably a topic better suited to the Known Issues thread. I'll go over there to post my issues. Again, I love DF and I will support their next KS but I'm highly frustrated that there are so many issues.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:53 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 pm
bernyleung wrote:
I think it's ok to have/use a lighter shade of base grey for KS4 (and KS3, for that matter). After all, in KS3/4 we are talking about fieldstone and quarried rocks for buildings that are exposed to the elements, and would be lighter due to constant sun exposure.

KS1/2/5 environments don't really see the light of day (generally), so would likely be slightly darker. Wetter environments even more so.
To be blunt, I don't care about "real-world" affects on stone and color, I care about modularity and compatibility with my various sets. Different colors distracts from their visual compatibility. I understand the need for different themes, however. I wish I could use my KS1 dungeons more with my CBS stuff without the jarring change in paint scheme. If it were different companies' products, I would 100% understand, but it's the same company. Even the narrow passages in KS2 and KS3 were painted different and had a different dwarvenite color but they used the same mold. I get complaining doesn't help anything, but I just want consistency.
Here's my own take on it (see my signature, as well)... to me, that's pretty much why there's painted and unpainted. Painted, in my mind, gives a couple of benefits to potential customers: the ability to buy the product and have it all ready to go out of the box; this is especially important to those who do not paint. Otherwise, you have all the options in the world to paint it yourself how you like.

All that being said, I agree that consistency is important as well. I would expect that colour choices are consistent between sets, but not necessarily across all sets. For instance, wanting the CBS floor to be a lighter colour would be a design choice by the company and yes, the company should be making that decision since it's their product. In some cases it's my personal belief that the base colour of the dwarvenite was probably predicated on removing a step in painting, and this seems to me to have been made during production.

Personal preferences and opinions aside, this all seems rather reasonable to me.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 pm

bernyleung wrote:

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 pm

bernyleung wrote:

I half agree, but what I ordered in KS4 was really only to add variety to my KS1 dungeons and the CBS system. Large round rooms and such for K 1 (maybe a tower every so often) and roofs and CBS advanced addition pieces for KS3 variation. I wasn't monetarily able to afford a "castle" so I just got the pieces that I could add to the previous KS's. No Castle Walls of any kind, accessories, battlements or even any mountain pieces (but I do want the Erinthor Mountains in the future, if affordable for me). I will eventually be trying to match the paint of all my KS stone walls to match the Resin line of dungeons, when I get to finishing the paint on them. So having them match the base color isn't a deal breaker it adds a step for some of us. I sure hope KS5 will have the darker color dwarvenite like KS1.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:12 pm

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:01 pm

William wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:38 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:22 pm
Didn't KS3 have a different dwarvenite color than KS1 and KS2? It was a lighter grey, I swear.
I didn't notice too much material color difference between KS 1,2 or 3. Nothing like KS 4 has been shown here. Guess I'll have to go to Lowe's and pick up some base paint for the Castle pieces. Was it shown or mentioned that a gloss base paint is the match or semi-gloss? There is a big difference in the thickness of pieces for modding's sake, between KS 1 and 2, but then KS 3 was a whole different animal.
Still have no notice for anything shipped for KS 4 yet.
@Animesensai,
I'm looking at my KS3 stuff and the stone floors and crenellations are definitely a lighter grey. I believe it has to do with the look of the buildings they were going for in City Builder, and by tinting the PVC material itself it's then possible to remove a whole step of painting... that would be my best educated guess as to the lighter colour.

@William,
I got myself the sample container which only comes in a satin finish. It's 212ml and looks the same as the pic that was posted earlier in this thread.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:38 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:22 pm
Didn't KS3 have a different dwarvenite color than KS1 and KS2? It was a lighter grey, I swear.
I didn't notice too much material color difference between KS 1,2 or 3. Nothing like KS 4 has been shown here. Guess I'll have to go to Lowe's and pick up some base paint for the Castle pieces. Was it shown or mentioned that a gloss base paint is the match or semi-gloss? There is a big difference in the thickness of pieces for modding's sake, between KS 1 and 2, but then KS 3 was a whole different animal.
Still have no notice for anything shipped for KS 4 yet.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:22 pm

iPaint wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:43 pm
There's three. Dungeon grey was the original KS1, 2 and 3 color.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Ouch. Three "dungeon grey" I wonder what KSV will be?

I do not really know if it matters as I paint my own stuff, but wondering.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria