got it, thx.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Re: Ikea Alex Storage Question

Post by astolat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:37 am

pacarat wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 pm
looking at the link it appears those fit along the edges of a drawer?

how do they keep drawer bottom/panel from bending in center/middle due to weight? (which is where the weakness is, and where we saw initial sagging)
pacarat, I put them in at the midpoints of the drawer bottoms along each side. The small flat bit goes into the slot along with the drawer bottom panel and then the wedge shaped bit extends out under the panel. It keeps the drawer bottom pressed snugly into the slot, and the wedge also adds a small but strong extra support around the edges of the drawer right at the points where the panel would sag and separate. I would guess as a result they keep the weight distributed more evenly over the whole drawer.

I think honestly the wood glue is the most important thing, it really soaks in very effectively into IKEA stuff and makes a huge difference, but these are small and cheap and easy to install as you go, so I figured it was worth tossing them in.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:52 pm

looking at the link it appears those fit along the edges of a drawer?

how do they keep drawer bottom/panel from bending in center/middle due to weight? (which is where the weakness is, and where we saw initial sagging)

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm

astolat wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:39 pm
FWIW, I used these things instead:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

2-4 of them per drawer, inserted at the same time as I assembled, and reinforced basically every connection with a bit of wood glue, and so far after a couple of months the drawers are doing fine, even fully loaded with Dwarvenite.
Those are cool and look like much less work than reinforcing (which I already did)...

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:39 pm

FWIW, I used these things instead:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

2-4 of them per drawer, inserted at the same time as I assembled, and reinforced basically every connection with a bit of wood glue, and so far after a couple of months the drawers are doing fine, even fully loaded with Dwarvenite.

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:50 pm

No worries- it’s fairly straightforward. :o ;)

Cut enough pieces (x2 per drawer) to length as listed above.

you will (obviously) need to remove the drawers from metal slides. if you assembled the alex you’ll know what to do.

place (best to clamp) each strip about 7” (or about a third) in from side, (make sure they are perpendicular), and flush to underside of drawer plate/panel.

drill two small holes from front and back drawer facing (through the facings) into strip. Use small brads/finishing nails, hammer in until about a 1/8” of nail head is still out. get a flat tipped finishing punch and gently tap nails until flush. I touched mine up with a black sharpie (since my alex are black).

I can post some pics later - not at home atm.

callahan09
Kobold
Kobold

Post by callahan09 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:19 pm

pacarat wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:38 pm
I bought 7/16" x 1 1/4" "stop" at Lowes in ~7' lengths

Cut to depth (front to back) of underside of shelf, and nailed in place.

I think it was maybe $25 -$30 to do 18 drawers.
I imagine this is the product required, correct? Can you give me a more detailed description of how these are nailed in place? I am a total idiot when it comes to this kind of thing and don't know the first thing about the engineering behind how to "support", so forgive me being totally helpless on this, but I could use some sort of a guide please :)

(By the way, I have no resin pieces, but lots from each Kickstarter series... are the drawers strong enough to support the weight of these non-resin pieces? I just got my Alex and wanted to know if I should just fill it now, or if it needs support I won't fill it until I do the support portion of the project).

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:59 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:59 pm
Saxon1974 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:53 pm
Finally got an Alex, they are perfect for storage. Does putting the supports side to side in the drawers make it strong enough to support the older resin maze sets?
I still haven't put supports in mine and mine are loaded with resin and have been for 2 years. They seem to be doing ok, but 2 years is only 2 years. I plan on reinforcing at some point, but it's such a daunting task because I have them filled to the brim.
Ha I hear ya. I only have one and didn't want to do it yet but mostly due to lack of time. Got to change a garbage disposal first as the wife says thats more of a priority😁

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:41 pm

jchunick wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:42 pm
AnimeSensei wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
Finally got an Alex, they are perfect for storage. Does putting the supports side to side in the drawers make it strong enough to support the older resin maze sets?
I still haven't put supports in mine and mine are loaded with resin and have been for 2 years. They seem to be doing ok, but 2 years is only 2 years. I plan on reinforcing at some point, but it's such a daunting task because I have them filled to the brim.
if you do it smart then you only unload one drawer at a time... in my case, it usually takes my wife suggesting the smart solution since I always make things more difficult for myself :-)
Well I've also acquired more stuff that still needs to be put away so I think I need to re-organize it anyway. :?
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:42 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
if you do it smart then you only unload one drawer at a time... in my case, it usually takes my wife suggesting the smart solution since I always make things more difficult for myself :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.