Storing your Dwarven Forge

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Storing your Dwarven Forge

Post by GODofwar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:53 am
GODofwar wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 pm
I have got spoilt. I had a huge DwF Wall - the South wall of my Kriegzimmer gaming room.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, especially KS6
Google looked up 'Kriegzimmer gaming room' thinking it was some firm that designed and built custom gaming rooms and found pictures of Nerf guns on racks and this on Kickstarter:

"
L. Weasel on June 17

#DW - yes, but I HAVE the map cases, and i don't need at least 1/3 of them, so for me its efficient. Besides, my Kriegzimmer (war room) has no floor space left to add more cabinets...

TLW
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, especially this one.
"

:lol:
Yet another reminder that "The Internet Never Forgets*"

*Except when Echelon tells it to.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:53 am

GODofwar wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 pm
I have got spoilt. I had a huge DwF Wall - the South wall of my Kriegzimmer gaming room.

The Least Weasel
Google looked up 'Kriegzimmer gaming room' thinking it was some firm that designed and built custom gaming rooms and found pictures of Nerf guns on racks and this on Kickstarter:

"
L. Weasel on June 17

#DW - yes, but I HAVE the map cases, and i don't need at least 1/3 of them, so for me its efficient. Besides, my Kriegzimmer (war room) has no floor space left to add more cabinets...

TLW
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, especially this one.
"

:lol:
I am the Game and I want to Play

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 pm

I have got spoilt. I had a huge DwF Wall - the South wall of my Kriegzimmer gaming room. 8' of Swedish modular shelves holding plastic sliding drawers. But that meant stacking DwF, which sometimes made fast bulding difficult.

OTOH, the Wall was right next to my 5x10 flying table, so I didn't have futz around with moving pieces (or drawers).

Then I sold a bunch of wargames...and the plasticized maps for them vanished. I had space in my map case. Which is EXACTLY tall enough to old DwF pieces with enough to spare for safety.

Once I had displaced my CBS to the map case, I was sold. One layer. Easy to find everything. And one map case drawer ate ALL of my CBS...and I bought quite a bit.

So now I have resin Caverns..KS I...resin Dungeon...CBS Castle (I have enough to fill the drawer - 140 of the short passage wall pieces alone - they are also my backup dungeon tunnel pieces...CBS...

Castles and the KS II are in my 6-drawer wooden rolling rack (my Dad's old hand-made tool chest) so I can roll them over to the table. The map case is pretty close to Flying Table #1 and immedeaely available to Flying Table #2, so building is still fast and easy. And EVERYTHING except DwF accessories are now one-layer thick available.

My South wall now only has one of four Swedish shelf bays devoted to DwF (things like Chamber of Sorrows, or all my stairs in one drawer). I have specialty items like towers in blue tubs in the bottom layer - those I can pull out. MBS is there. It all works.

And ther est of the South wall is now all the other base building supplies: My paper Terraclips, of which I have a pile; my 15mm buildings, in rolling racks that come out fo the South wall when needed; my 100-150 10mm solid buildings; and my 15, 10 and 3mm terrain in separate rolling racks. All right there, thanks to moving the DwF to the darn map cases.

This has reduced my build time by 50% and the stowage time by 75%. HUGE when I have four campaigns going, total of eight days a month. And often have to improve on the fly when the damn players refuse to stay on my rails...which is most times (no, actually I hate campaigns on rails).

So after eighteen years here I actually have th KZ in final order. Now I just have to sell more wargames and free the North Wall mostly up for large terrain (the GeoHex is in the unused corner of the Military Library).

But one-layer DwF storage is much, much better- if you have the luxury. So darn fast I can't get used to it.

Oh - one more advantage. All my trees are now in just two spots.

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod

Fu-Man Chu
Orc
Orc

Post by Fu-Man Chu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:51 pm

As a warning, don't purchase these ArtBin Super Satchel Slim cases. I thought I had found the perfect storage solution with these, but when they came, they were just off enough to be very disappointing. The 2" height is for the exterior, and so it is just under 2" on the interior - which means that the standard DF pieces are just a little too tall for the lid to close and snap.

That was very sad as the quality is quite high (better than the Sterilite and Iris ones I also have).

https://www.artbin.com/super-satchel-sl ... 100ab.aspx

WhiskeyandPeaches
Goblin
Goblin

Post by WhiskeyandPeaches » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Is second @RobertsConley's storage suggestions. Those Sterlite containers are exactly what I'm using as well - very useful.

zenmaster
Orc
Orc

Post by zenmaster » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:00 pm

robertsconley wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:14 pm
For the past three kickstarters I have used the following system to store my Dwarven forge pieces.

Target has a brand of snap together storage bins by Starlite. There are theses guys

Link
http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-stack ... edium_1_45

And a larger one at this link

http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-stack ... edium_1_38

Then you buy one of these guys

Which can be found at
http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct. ... &section=1

This allows you do this

And my order unboxed and placed in their respective storage bins.

I know this thread is from a couple years ago, but this post is INVALUABLE to me. Perfect for what I need. Thank you a thousand times!
Dungeon Crawl Classics enthusiast.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Everyone has different needs. Some people want their stuff neatly stacked and organized or put into furniture, but for me, with Dwarvenite (I keep my resin stuff neatly organized) I want bins that my son or I can just throw the stuff in. The less of a pain the stuff is to get out and put away the more I will use it. For this, I have fallen in love with 40 Qt Heafty containers. These are the perfect size. They are not so big that they can not be easily moved but each one holds a lot, and they stack well. One bin currently holds all my KS1 dungeons (5 sets a several add-ons), and one holds all my all my KS2 caverns (with the exception of my water sets, small decor, and passageways), about 7 sets and a bunch of add-ons. I also like that the bottom is translucent so you can tell what is in them (although I label them as well). They are also cheap, $9 each on Walmart.com with free shipping.
Attachments
Cavernbin.JPG
Cavernbin.JPG (104.97 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
hefty40qt.jpeg
hefty40qt.jpeg (22.3 KiB) Viewed 1304 times

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Too bad I don't have a need for this the drawers are 3.25" deep, better than my 2.125" deep metal drawers.
They want $1950 for it though. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/atq/ ... 37607.html Seattle area...
00g0g_iBiNgkrMcCR_600x450.jpg
00g0g_iBiNgkrMcCR_600x450.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
00D0D_6nErDqA2UHn_600x450.jpg
00D0D_6nErDqA2UHn_600x450.jpg (35.27 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
00c0c_5EP0KQapMlo_600x450.jpg
00c0c_5EP0KQapMlo_600x450.jpg (24.01 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
What about heavy cube baskets, those can look quite nice?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:42 am

My wife gave in and I now have some Sterilite and Container Store plastic bins in the shelves. I'm out of room with my castles though, and have KS5 delivering in a few months with no place to put it. Gotta figure out something fast.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:39 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:00 pm
Ok folks, I am in need of some help. I have an IKEA Hemnes bookcase (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70227118/) that I purchased to store my dwarvenite in. I have about 7 sets of KS1, 6 sets of KS2, and an Empire pledge from KS3, along with lots of add-ons. Part of the condition for buying into KS3 was I would store it so it looked nice in our house.

hemnes-cabinet-with-panel-glass-door-brown__0137908_PE296720_S4[1].JPG

I can't use Sterilite or other plastic tubs that looks "bad" according to my wife. They need to fit in the Hemnes bookcase and look good, while also working for me so I can find things quickly and easily. I don't want to have to play tetris to put my stuff away or take it out.

Does anyone have any ideas? Most of the stuff they have at IKEA to go on these shelves are flimsy cardboard boxes that wouldn't work with the weight of the dwarvenite or are big woven basket things that are too shallow and too expensive. And the 1' cubes for their Kallax units are too big for the shelves, before anyone mentions those. :)

Space on each shelf is 10.5" x 33.5" x 11.5".

Here's what it currently looks like; all of my prepainted minis are on the right in those flimsy cardboard boxes I mentioned. :) (Sorry things were a mess when I took my pictures) As you can see by the tote bag and Priority Mail boxes, I haven't figured out a solution yet. :P

20151209_204426.jpg

20151209_204343.jpg

Thanks!!!!
This is a useful thread so I thought there would be no harm in giving it a bump to ask you a question.... did you ever get your shelves looking nice?

If not, have you considered taking photos of a nice organized shelf (or something else entirely), printing it off, and taping to the inside of the glass? Just a silly thought... but it *could* be a potential solution. ;-)