Storing your Dwarven Forge

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Storing your KS-5: Sheet Metal.

Post by GODofwar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm

I just got my KS5 (NO fault of DwF, in fact, it was a great accomodation to me - tip o' the hat to DwF).

1. This is the first DwF I've bought a whole order (or even most of one) painted.

2. When I opened the Burrows and general stuff, I was impressed. I considered UP Burrows, but I marginally prefer not painting it.

3. When I opened the Temple Of Syssuul (Jade) I was stunned. This is DwF's most artistically pleasing offering since the rivers an lakes.

4. STORAGE. Some time ago I suggested putting sheet metal on a wall to store all future DwF b/c walls are strong, and DwF is going to come with magnets. Well, I put all my Burrows - all my Vaulted - and all my Ledges (minus a few) and many accessories on my heating ducts. The only things in drawers are unmagnetized pieces like Passages, daises and a few BUrrows pieces as well as the ledges whose magnetism was not strong enough to support their weight on a horizontal surface. WOW. I can see it all and I can get it easily. Total KS5 in drawers: 2 SMALL sterilite- type drawers in my Building Wall.

5. I now intend to put sheet metal under my Fly Table #2 (the one with a very low gear ratio and hence most lift weight) to accept future KS' that are magnetized. I don't intent to use the terrain trays - bought none - but I am at least making good use of the magnetization. i'm thinking of putting sheet metal on several walls and moving KS items from my existing drawers if I can magnetize them!

6. All of you who didn't like the Burrows...well, "Im looking for a few extra pieces if you got some you don't like! I am absolutely making this a standard part of builds, along with sewers.

I love KS5.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, Except KS5.
WeaselWarGod

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Storing your Dwarven Forge

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:54 pm

bump

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Arravis wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 am
H
ave you considered re-enforcing the drawers? I've had minor issues here and there and I'm concerned for the future as they get more stuffed!
I haven't reinforced the drawers.

I had a little trouble with sagging initially when I put the densest, heaviest stuff at the center of the large drawers.

I solved that by moving the heavy, densest-packed stuff (straight KS1 walls, floor tiles, etc.) to the sides, fronts, and backs of the drawers, and putting the lighter, less-densely-packed stuff (corner pieces, decor, doors,...) in the center of the drawers

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:11 pm

William wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 am
Painted in the hidden channel on bottom side of walls are windows in blue and arrow slits with two orange spots. I'm planning on painting LED with yellow and Magnetic with silver.
Cunning .... very cunning - top job Sir William :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 am

Riley wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 am
I bought a pair of those. It was an excellent solution- except that they will be pretty much full once my KS5 arrives.
Yeah, I think I have a second one in the horizon. Have you considered re-enforcing the drawers? I've had minor issues here and there and I'm concerned for the future as they get more stuffed!

William wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 am
Painted in the hidden channel on bottom side of walls are windows in blue and arrow slits with two orange spots. I'm planning on painting LED with yellow and Magnetic with silver.
Thats an excellent idea I might have to steal!

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:16 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 am
Very Nicely organised Arravis - do you know what sets you have stored in those pictures ?
That's KS1-KS5, well, only the tiny bit of KS5 that's come in. KS1 I painted myself, you can tell by the fact that its much lighter than the few KS5 pieces in there. It was by design, I wanted something that could double as castle pieces, before the Castle KS was even a twinkle!

On the lower drawers there's also the Path of Osiris kickstarter as well. Also self-painted, but that one was much, much easier!

There are also some miscellaneous stuff in there that I've collected over the years, mostly self-painted... if you have a specific inquiry on one, let me know.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:28 am

I know the cardboard boxes are not optimal, but I'm just showing my sorting system.
Painted in the hidden channel on bottom side of walls are windows in blue and arrow slits with two orange spots. I'm planning on painting LED with yellow and Magnetic with silver. Standard walls are top up. Sorry they are not all painted, it might show a bit different when they are. ;)

Anyway, see here -
Window Wall Designations.jpg
Window Wall Designations.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Riley
Orc
Orc

Post by Riley » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 am

Arravis wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:30 pm
Thought you guys might appreciate the details of my storage setup. I use a
8-drawer Martha Stewart flats-file cabinet.
I bought a pair of those. It was an excellent solution- except that they will be pretty much full once my KS5 arrives.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:18 am

William wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:34 am
Here is an idea I have not seen in the Forum.
I plan to store my walls upsidedown categorized by Tudor and Stone. But these will be the Windows stored downside-up :lol: and I will mark the Magnetic Walls with White or Lava Orange accross whole bottom. Anyway you can see the concept in this picture. ;)

DSCF4761crop.jpg

Any thoughts?
I like it. Currently I keep my city walls grouped in clear plastic bins. I alternate the groups, one group placed top up, the next bottom up, etc. to keep similar pieces sorted together. That way I can just pull one piece to see what is in each group. Your way seems better, assuming I recall what each color designates.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:05 am

Wow that's is quite literally 'neat' :)

Very Nicely organised Arravis - do you know what sets you have stored in those pictures ?
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan