Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:56 am
pacarat wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 pm
Sewer test scheme...

Lava...

IMG_0170.JPG

More lava...

IMG_4568.JPG
Wow— just saw this— best lava I have seen. Well done!!
Thanks! They were fun to paint. Kind of got carried away on the mods, but happy with the results. Was going to do more/similar mods for regular cavern paint scheme but holding off now that we have new sculpts on the horizon.

Ski_
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Custom Paint Schemes / Ideas - All Sets

Post by Ski_ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:56 am

pacarat wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:36 pm
Sewer test scheme...

Lava...

IMG_0170.JPG

More lava...

IMG_4568.JPG
Wow— just saw this— best lava I have seen. Well done!!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm about halfway through my GT kickstarter stuff. :P
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Had painted not been an option, i never would have backed. Hell i skipped the first few Bones KS's and they were giving them away.

Now that i know how to paint i STILL buy unpainted. It all comes down to time. If i had it i would LOVE to paint, but as others have said probably not 100 identical walls. I'd much rather paint some grendel sci fi accessories or tables bookshelves etc.

I haven't even painted my Griffin Tamer stuff yet (hangs head in shame) hope Elye doesn't read this - i feel like i have let him down ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

MrMorden
Orc
Orc

Post by MrMorden » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 am

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:26 am
So many great ways to paint dwarvenite. Why do people get painted, anyway? :P
I love to paint, but I like spending my time painting interesting things. To me, production line drybrushing is not interesting. On an hourly basis of labor required to paint everything to look nice (and consistent), the painted sets are a bargain. I'll spend the extra money on painted DF sets so that I can devote my hobby time to better efforts.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:43 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:15 am
I think I heard somewhere that DF sells around 70% painted. I imagine a goodly percentage of those people would not get unpainted, so painted is one of the secrets to DF's success.

I got painted KSII mostly as I was new to DF and painting and was not confident enough. Now I know I could have easily painted them. But having painted KSII might mean I get more painted KSVI, but unsure of that.

I do buy occasional painted DF, like the LED floors from the last KS. I wanted the DF paint job on them.
when we first came across DF we had not done any painting worth talking about so painted was a must.

But these days having done much more painting and currently painting some desert ruins, a basecoat, wash and highlight gives you something pretty decent (or at least us).
So we would be much more open to getting unpainted if we didn't have 15 years worth of unpainted minis and terrain (& growing) to get through.
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:15 am

I think I heard somewhere that DF sells around 70% painted. I imagine a goodly percentage of those people would not get unpainted, so painted is one of the secrets to DF's success.

I got painted KSII mostly as I was new to DF and painting and was not confident enough. Now I know I could have easily painted them. But having painted KSII might mean I get more painted KSVI, but unsure of that.

I do buy occasional painted DF, like the LED floors from the last KS. I wanted the DF paint job on them.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:57 am

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 pm
I certainly understand unboxing and then setting up immediately. The extra 30% stuff for me is better, though.
That's another bonus of DF is you can get painted or unpainted - certainly see how the Xtra 30% appeals who does not want more Dwarvenite? really who?
Times we have nearly weakened and got unpianted but we tell ourselves to imagine unboxing it - then we get painted :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:26 am
So many great ways to paint dwarvenite. Why do people get painted, anyway? :P
Because I still have miniatures from the early 80's that I have not painted. I did do unpainted for KS1 and KS2 . I have painted a lot of them but still have a lot to paint. I did mostly painted for KS3 with a good amount unpainted (the unpainted is still unpainted) for KS 4 I went all painted and for KS 5 I went all painted but for a few things that I wanted to match to my paint jobs for KS1. So getting all unpainted for me right now would just add to the back up of stuff I "need to get around to" hahah :lol: :lol:

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:57 pm

I certainly understand unboxing and then setting up immediately. The extra 30% stuff for me is better, though.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria