Experts wanted - the 4000 bucks question

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Experts wanted - the 4000 bucks question

Post by GattoNero25 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am

Hi Vegomatic, and thx for your insight.

So if i get it right,I can use the flagstone pieces from my KS 1 pledge, scavenge on the Wizards huts from the RS - ( no Problem with that )

than i just have to add:

4 small Tower add ons packs fortified
2 small round crenellations
1 alternate floor pack

That´s all ???

What if i want to add the two small Tower between straight walls, so that i get a fortess with 6 Towers - the 4 large Towers from the RS remain at the edges, just want to add the small Towers between them ?

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:51 pm

GattoNero25 wrote:@Law - thx for your Input, but I´n sure now that i want to start with the RS and the Citadel - now trying to gigure out what I Need to incorporate small Towers that are 6 stories high - right now while typing this i have the idea to scavange on the two wizards outpost on top of the RS 6" towers, but still not sure what I Need to build the rest of the small 4"towers - I´ll get a Roof Mega pack for sure, so just talking bout the Tower elements and the break out or break in stuff - or whatever still haven´t figured out how it works.

Aother questions is what i need to break out the 6" towers of RS - can i scavenge on the citadel and if - what else do i Need to use the 6" towers as stand alones ?
Questions:
1) Do you want to use the 4 floors of 4" tower pieces of the RS as part of your 6 floor towers?
2) You want to incorporate two 6 floor towers?
3) Do you want fortified, palace, or a combination?

Two six floor towers is twelve floors.
You have four floors in the RS. If you intend to use them.
Each small tower add-on includes two full floors (plus a door piece).
Assuming you are using the four floors you already have then you need 4 small tower add-ons for the remaining 8 floors. If not use existing then you need 6 small tower add-ons. (Which style is your choice)

That is the first part.

I believe geekjeff knows the RS much better than I. I have not studied the piece content nor evaluated it... my familiarity is from the posts I have read. If I remember his post correctly you do not need the corner cutout walls as they are included in each corner of the RS.

The four floors that come with RS include two doors. They are also made of standard tower walls (not half tower walls).

You would normally need a tower transition pack to get all the pieces required to integrate one tower... however of the 9 pieces in that pack you only need four.

2 x 3/4 Floor.
1 x 3/4 Round Roof Platform (4 inch)
1 x Flagstone 2x2 corner piece

I believe this pack is currently the only way to get the flagstone piece from add-ons. However, if you have KS1 curved corners pack or stretch goals, this is basically the flat curved piece from there. Buying painted, the paint may vary, and possibly the floor texture could vary slightly. If you are ok with that then there is an alternate source for that piece.

The 3/4 Round Roof Platform is used to raise the level of the top of the second floor even with the top of the rampart (because of the wall platform). It also comes from the Small Crenellations Pack. I believe you indicated that you intended to go that route. You need one per tower so you would need one crenellation pack per tower.

The 3/4 Round floors (which abut to the corner of the citadel/castle) can all be gotten from one Alternate Floors pack.

If you are good with the KS1 Dungeon Curved Floor piece you only need to add an Alternate Floors Pack instead of two Tower Transition Packs. This also assumes you are buying the small crenellations pack for each tower.

Also... if you plan to also get the GC you can steal the 3/4 floors from those towers if you are not using them.

I gotta run... but if you have questions, I will be back on line this evening.

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:26 pm

@Law - thx for your Input, but I´n sure now that i want to start with the RS and the Citadel - now trying to gigure out what I Need to incorporate small Towers that are 6 stories high - right now while typing this i have the idea to scavange on the two wizards outpost on top of the RS 6" towers, but still not sure what I Need to build the rest of the small 4"towers - I´ll get a Roof Mega pack for sure, so just talking bout the Tower elements and the break out or break in stuff - or whatever still haven´t figured out how it works.

Aother questions is what i need to break out the 6" towers of RS - can i scavenge on the citadel and if - what else do i Need to use the 6" towers as stand alones ?

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:07 pm

I've got a similar budget to work with, and I'm trying to give myself flexibility where I want it. Right now I'm planning, roughly, on something like this:

CG base pledge
CG interior walls
One set of straight walls - so I can make a thinner footprint without the solid 12" walls if I want (though I'd need two of these if I plan to use inner walls on this reduced model)
One set of courtyard floors variations, so I have floors for the smaller build
One set of GC crenellations

That's to start with. Then:

1 6" palace tower. Solely for the new windows -- probably won't try to make three large towers (for reasons below)

3 4" fortified and 2 4" palace towers -- so I can do a castle with four small towers at the corners. Even though I'm getting six towers, I want the towers at least three stories high. So if I get three of each set, I can do higher. Two stories high really doesn't work for me, though I can see how it would look cool with the 3/4" floor and crenellations all around. But I want towers higher than the walls.

2 6" tower crenellations - to get a different look for the top of my GC pledge
2 4" tower crenellations and 2 4" tower battlements -- for now, to save money, I won't be able to do four of the small towers with exactly the same tops. I can do two 6" and two 4" with battlements or crenellations, though

Mega roof pack - which SHOULD, if I'm counting right, give me what I need to cap everything with just roofs and no crenellations or battlements at all.

Passing on the square tower because I have CBS pieces (and I'll get to the offset doors in a moment). Getting at least one corner battlements set for topping at least one square tower. May get two so I can build a CG with square towers and either size round ones.

Manual drawbridge. I'm an old man, wary of technology. It looks AWESOME -- and it gives me some offset doors.

One of every bridge option - the stone bridge, the tower bridge, all shaped tower connectors. Not sure how I'll use these, but I want the options. This is the most daunting geometry to work out -- if I do anything beyond essentially the Bridge of Valor -- a bridge connecting two towers -- I'm not sure how far it will reach. I'll have to tinker with it, and may hope to be able to get extensions as needed once things are in the store.

At least one mega pack of decor -- torn between necromancer and runic. Will see if alternatives show up in the PM. May end up getting at least TWO, but probably won't be able to spring for three.

Castle defenders - I think that's what the bigger set is. The bigger set of minis.

I think that's about it.

I would like the mountain set, but the fact is, it's VERY pricey and I'm really going to be focused on castles. My sense is, based on KS3, that I'll have time before I want to turn to making mountains. The KS3 sewers were kinda overshadowed for me. Very cool, awesome in fact, but I spent so much time on the cities I rarely did much with them. I feel like the same thing would happen here, so I'm not doing the mountains until later.

I do have some left over money in my pledge once this is all added up. I'm saving that to see what shows in the PM. If very little DOES show, I'll probably consider doubling up on some of the tower toppings, or tower pledges so I can build taller towers. I'll cross that bridge when the PM clarifies what's out there (eps. if the contents of add-ons has changed slightly).

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:46 pm

OK after literaly reading hundreds of post i just decided to go back to the roots and build my pledge up from scratch ( hopefully with your help ).

This questions is just for the Basics - if I pledge for $ 3035 painted - EU with this two main pledges:

•1 X Citadel - Expertly Hand Painted ($745)
•1 X The Royal Stronghold - Expertly Hand Painted ($2290)

what do i have to add ( just Basics ) to make a huge fortress out of both pledges ( with toppings for the walls ) and incorporate two 6 stories high small Towers - just leave out the bling - just the basics so i can understand the system ( modularity this time is simply blowing my mind and also I´m not a native Speaker as you may have guessed ;-) )

Thy a lot ...

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Wish i had even the slightest talent in painting myself, but it´s simply not my cup of coffee ... and i feel your pain with the Canadian Dollar - superexpensive for you ... Doom for your Wa.... you know what i mean ;-)

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:39 pm

I don't think you're missing anything, nor do I think you're making a mistake. You've got a much higher budget than me, and you're getting premium painted stuff. I think you'll be happy with what you got, and besides, if you find out you need some more, they will be available in the store soon after you receive your KS!

I'm going almost all unpainted because a) it stretches my poor Canadian dollar a bit further, and b) castle walls and mountain piecels look like the easiest thing to paint. Really. Last summer I painted something like 12-13 sets of KS1 and KS2 with stretch goals. It went much faster than I thought.

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:39 pm

@Bernyleung - But Batter Bases seem so expensive :-( - and yet I´n not convinced that they are really versatile and that you need them. - What about my dream pledge with RS, CC and Citadel - am i missing something or do you think i made mistakes `?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:00 pm

I know that eventually I'd be adding at least 3 Batter Bases, because three sides of each of the four corner towers will be exposed.
Stretch goal pack would be stupendous. I think DF should have allowed 2xSG for the CC and 4xSG for the RS without adding these fiddly bits directly into the build, or tricked them out to say "look what you can do with this pre-config build with the following SG included!" rather than just shut them out of the SG altogether. These are $ value wise some of the larger pledges, after all, and those $ do go to unlock SG.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 am

Yeah the Watchtower/CC build partially came about as I was looking over your thread and considering cost effective ways to get stretch goals in such a pledge. I was batting it around for the combo of tower sizes and flexibility, and decided to break down the parts lists in that Google sheet when I realized it might be a good way to acquire stretch goals in a situation like yours.

The shipping cost percentages are higher, but the base value of CC and the Watchtower pledges (which are already well below raw parts cost before stretch goals are considered) seem to make up the difference.

You do lose the small sampler of Battlements and that CBS building on the keep, but with your CBS stock that might be a meh issue.
Note that the Count's Castle includes one of the City Builder To Tower Bridge pieces, btw.

I think though that for you (and many of us) a lot depends on what finally hits the pledge manager, and whether or not there ends up being a Stretch Goals addon.

Return to “Kickstarter 4”