Final KSIV pledge

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Final KSIV pledge

Post by LadySabelle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:28 am

I ended up leaving the KS3 minis in my garage for a couple of weeks because of the smell. In fact, I bet there are still some out there right now.
I'm worried about the baggies too. I've got all this to unbox and paint before the castle stuff arrives next year. I'll have to get a pic of the mound of baggies once everything out of the boxes.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

Alveric
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alveric » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:46 am

dice4hire wrote:Dunno about painted and its smell, I rarely buy it, but a few people's tiny bag collection will be most impressive. I know with my medicum orders it is often an entire box full of plastic baggies.
Wait- people save their baggies? I burn specifically for all the fumes...

Alveric
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alveric » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:40 am

FattyLumpkin wrote:For those of you in the "Contest of Least Self-Control," do you realize you are now obligated to post photos not only of your builds but the unboxing? Many photos. Even though it will make me sick with envy I want to see what this much DF stuff can do!
I second that- even from all of Nate's videos, I don't think we've seen what 3 Grand Citadels with 12 small towers, 4 large towers all built on top of 10 Erinthor Mountain monster sets looks like. In any case, I'm pretty sure this will be a floor build, not a tabletop build. Don't wait to paint all that DG either, Lady Sabelle- show us the footprint of this monstrosity! I'm still not entirely convinced you're not trying to recreate Minas Tirith...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:11 am

Dunno about painted and its smell, I rarely buy it, but a few people's tiny bag collection will be most impressive. I know with my medicum orders it is often an entire box full of plastic baggies.

As for final orders, we all have to wait till the fat lady sings in late August after the presale.

That said I doubt some people have any room at all to add to their orders.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:04 am

I am slightly terrified about the number of plastic baggies which will be in my large (I thought large, but maybe it's actually just medium sized) pledge. I fear I might lose a cat or small child into the baggie pile.

Also since I got 90% painted this time, I'm a little worried about the varnish smell. Hopefully the few KS3 items I got prepainted were an anomaly, if not I may need to unbox everything outdoors.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:59 pm

I agree. I want pictures of your pallets of Dwarvenite!
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

FattyLumpkin
Orc
Orc

Post by FattyLumpkin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:54 pm

For those of you in the "Contest of Least Self-Control," do you realize you are now obligated to post photos not only of your builds but the unboxing? Many photos. Even though it will make me sick with envy I want to see what this much DF stuff can do!

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Alkettory wrote:@LadySabelle,
Alkettory and Sorn have me beat for amount spent. Not that it's a contest. I'd be at 2k at most if I hadn't gotten my sculpting credits.
I thought we were having a contest to see who has the least amount of self-control.
:D

I can't begin to imagine how much time it's going to take to paint that much Dwarvenite/Gorgonite. Amazing.
Only trouble with a contest of self-control is the level of sacrifice for each person. I don't have a large amount of hobby money available so this situation is not normal for me. I can only get as much as I'm getting because DF is paying me in dwarvenite. The money was never in my account to spend or agonize over, so I needed very little self-control to begin with. So you and Sorn have me beat in that department.

The backers I think won the lack of self-control of are those who's income is limited and their love of DF exceeds their desire for food. (a.k.a the ones most likely to sleep on the sofa)

As for painting, you're right that it will likely take my husband and I a long time to get it all done. But most of the castle stuff will be a lot easier than the Tudor from KS3 or the caverns from KS2.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Brilliant pledge Alveric!

It is easy to build when you have everything, it takes creativity and improvisation to work with very little.

As for the components - you got the absolute BEST bang for the buck out of a small pledge.

Nicely played ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Alveric
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alveric » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Hey, I posted this in the KS comments, but it belongs here. My discount KS4 pledge came in at $337. This is what a Castle-on-a-Shoestring pledge looks like, for someone who hugely supported Caverns and City Builder (all painted):
1 Gatehouse ($85)
1 Straight Walls ($78)
1 Cube Spacer ($46)
1 Flagstone Floor ($26)
2 Stone Bridges ($48)
1 LED Illuminated Floor ($29)
1 Ruined Wall ($25)
Total $337
- In KS3 I added 2 sets of crenellations, corner crenellations and narrow passages to my Capital pledge, so I pledged the bare minimum to build a castle keep and at the same time add elevation to my KS1 Dungeon Tiles (stone bridges and cube spacers, both also used in my castle builds).
- I didn't have the luxury of buying any mountains, round towers, corner cutouts, parapets, or crenellations. Castle corners were priced too high at $180 for four corners and unneeded inside walls.
- I could have skipped the LED floor and ruined wall and saved $54, but that was my splurge. I wish I could have picked up the new Alleys as well, but no budget this year.

I stuck with the most versatile sets to build my keep: gatehouse, flagstone floor, straight walls and cube spacers, with KS3 stone buildings and crenellations and KS1 floors/corners to finish it. My "discount" Castle relies on the KS1 and KS3 stuff I have, but costs $235 with two square towers and crenellations, versus $410 for the Castle expert pledge which doesn't include crenellations/battlements or towers (round or square):

KS4:
1 Gatehouse (w/ LED Upgrade)
1 Flagstone Floor (8"x8")
4 Straight Walls (3-pc)(for castle sides)
8 Cube Spacers (castle front and back)
2 Stone Bridge Ramps

KS3:
2 Stone Buildings (2-story, w/ arrowslit & solid walls)
8 Crenellated Corners (4 regular, 4 trap door)
4 Dwarven Pillars
14 Straight Crenellations

KS2/KS3:
6 Narrow Dungeon Passages

KS1:
2 Dungeon Floors (2"x2")
2 Dungeon Corners (2"x2")

So this should build me a jury-rigged castle with an 8"x8" inner footprint and two square towers! (FYI: I've already done this with just KS3 stone buildings and a Bridge of Valor, but that uses up a lot of streets and stone buildings...)