Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Basalt Columns

Post by GODofwar » Mon May 08, 2017 8:09 pm

William wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 4:04 am
Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 am
Sorry, alas...no basalt columns in this kickstarter...but I did promise "Sir William of the basalt regions of mythras" that I would one day update my homegrown map to include them...and thus it has been done:)

William, are you not selling any more? the one's you did were beautiful:)

We could do some in dwarvenite one day, and I would seek your advice and expertise on them If we do:)

I would have posted here on the forums sooner, but I have been unable for a while...my computer did some weird update and it made me have to re-find my password, which I could not...damn passwords! what a world! finally Johanna came to my aid...I'm back in!
Hi Stefan,

Never did sell any. I had discussed doing them with forumite jgardner44, but he disappeared after a few email discussions about getting them molded and packaged to sell. So they are just collecting dust when I'm not setting them up for fun. I'm not sure what happened to him? He never answered his email and he even stopped everything on his FB page, who knows what happened. I had even talked to my lawyer about how I could get away with it without messing with my disability claim. There were few options, one was possibly having my wife be the seller, but alas it was a no go. The whole jgardner44 thing was a bummer. So much exciting news to just fade to nothing.

Back then I had started working on some larger/taller cliff type column pieces, but put them on the back burner when it all fell through. They are in the very basic stage on a tray waiting for me to get sculpting again. Also once I saw the Cavern Elevation Blocks from KS2, I messed with an idea to create a similar block (with Basalt Columns) that the user could rotate to get multiple looks depending on how they sat, but they would have required all 6 sides to be sculpted or multiple blocks.

Stay in touch, I might pull the unfinished pieces out to see where they can go. It's been a few years since I touched any soft clay and would like a reason to continue again. You would not believe how excited I was to see those posts here a few days ago. My wife was getting annoyed with me interrupting her over them. :roll:

So, if you came out with some, they would still be the only ones on the market. ;)
William, look at forming an appropriate corporation in your wife's name...depending on the type of disability that may attribute to your claimable income for disability...and depending on corporate type, you may be able to pay out to your wife as a salary and attribute no income to yourself. Check with a local attorney AND an accountant. This sounds like its doable cheaply too.

I just use the hex columns from Heroquest, painted suitably, for basalt. Don't need them that much. I think they would be too expensive for DwF!!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS delenda sunt
WeaselWarGod

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 pm

William I love your basalt columns and while I am sorry the deal with jgardner44 caused stress, I really hope that they can be made in Dwarvenite because they would be a fantastic Add-on both for Dwarvenite caverns and mountains.

Stefan basalt columns would rock in KS6 Forces of Nature.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Mon May 08, 2017 12:02 pm

William, maybe you and I can pick up a discussion offline because I'd love to take your basalt columns and develop them into a product.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon May 08, 2017 10:49 am

I just didn't get why he stopped emailing in mid discussion. No note like "Sorry Bill I'm getting out of this", just complete radio silence? We could still have done it for some profit for him. Doing this didn't require him gaming to produce them. I emailed several times with no answer, I thought he had passed or something and his family wasn't answering his email. Good to know that wasn't the case.
Thanks Zach.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon May 08, 2017 10:37 am

William wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 4:04 am
I had discussed doing them with forumite jgardner44, but he disappeared after a few email discussions about getting them molded and packaged to sell. So they are just collecting dust when I'm not setting them up for fun. I'm not sure what happened to him? He never answered his email and he even stopped everything on his FB page, who knows what happened.
I can offer some insight. Last summer he posted his gaming collection up for sale on a Facebook page. I went up to Idaho (I think it was in July) and bought his collection. He said he was selling because no one in the area was into gaming and his stuff was just collecting dust in the garage. :(
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon May 08, 2017 4:04 am

Spiropolous the Minotaur wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 am
Sorry, alas...no basalt columns in this kickstarter...but I did promise "Sir William of the basalt regions of mythras" that I would one day update my homegrown map to include them...and thus it has been done:)

We could do some in dwarvenite one day, and I would seek your advice and expertise on them If we do:)

I would have posted here on the forums sooner, but I have been unable for a while...my computer did some weird update and it made me have to re-find my password, which I could not...damn passwords! what a world! finally Johanna came to my aid...I'm back in!
Hi Stefan,

Never did sell any. I had discussed doing them with forumite jgardner44, but he disappeared after a few email discussions about getting them molded and packaged to sell. So they are just collecting dust when I'm not setting them up for fun. I'm not sure what happened to him? He never answered his email and he even stopped everything on his FB page, who knows what happened. I had even talked to my lawyer about how I could get away with it without messing with my disability claim. There were few options, one was possibly having my wife be the seller, but alas it was a no go. The whole jgardner44 thing was a bummer. So much exciting news to just fade to nothing.

Back then I had started working on some larger/taller cliff type column pieces, but put them on the back burner when it all fell through. They are in the very basic stage on a tray waiting for me to get sculpting again. Also once I saw the Cavern Elevation Blocks from KS2, I messed with an idea to create a similar block (with Basalt Columns) that the user could rotate to get multiple looks depending on how they sat, but they would have required all 6 sides to be sculpted or multiple blocks.

Stay in touch, I might pull the unfinished pieces out to see where they can go. It's been a few years since I touched any soft clay and would like a reason to continue again. You would not believe how excited I was to see those posts here a few days ago. My wife was getting annoyed with me interrupting her over them. :roll:

So, if you came out with some, they would still be the only ones on the market. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 am

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 am

dreamlifter wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 am
bernyleung wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 10:52 pm
Wouldn't basalt columns be more properly part of a KS2 expansion? Not saying that they can't do it now, but I don't see it expanding a "dungeon of doom" environment per se.
What do you mean "properly"? Why does it have to be all this or that for a KS?
Each KS has had a main theme and it has worked for the most part.

KS1 was Dwarvenites introduction and its theme was dungeon

KS2 was Caverns and cavern water with an off theme addon for dungeon passages to work with KS1

KS3 was City with the very slightly off theme of sewers add-on

KS4 was castle with the slightly off theme of mountain pieces

There is no reason they could not do a basalt columns add-on in KS5 but it is so far off theme from return to the dungeon it would be a little strange.

Plus many people are so broke from KS4 they are hoping this KS will be smaller.

But I would love to see basalt columns someday soon.

dreamlifter
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dreamlifter » Mon May 08, 2017 1:35 am

bernyleung wrote:
Wouldn't basalt columns be more properly part of a KS2 expansion? Not saying that they can't do it now, but I don't see it expanding a "dungeon of doom" environment per se.
What do you mean "properly"? Why does it have to be all this or that for a KS?

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat May 06, 2017 1:05 am

bernyleung wrote:
Yes, I agree that it would be much better placed with a KS2 expansion. I can say that I haven't seen any indication that basalt columns are part of KS5 (of course, there are probably a handful of things I haven't seen for KS5, yet).
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.