KS5 - Magnets in bases

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Re: KS5 - Magnets in bases

Post by Thunder » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

True, the edges need a bit of a file. The gauge is thick enough that a quick running of a file down the edge is fast and easy.

Also that Truck Bed spray is pretty thick and puts a decently blunt edge on the metal.

Peace

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Thunder wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:15 pm
Howdy Folks,

I made some of my own trays as well, super easy and they work really well.

1) I bought the 22 gauge precut steel sheets from Home Depot in 12" x 12".
2) There were some rust spots so I used Naval Jelly to remove and treat the rust, this stuff is super.
3) I sprayed the sheets with a standard car body Rust colored primer.
4) Lastly, I sprayed the sheets with a couple THIN coats of Truck Bed liner in black/dark grey.

When the trays dried, the surface is quite durable with a rippled/mottled texture. Both magnets and blu-tac work great for sticking the Dwarven Forge tiles to them.

Peace
The big thing to make sure of is that the edges are flesh safe for handling. Sheet metal can be nasty if not properly edged.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Howdy Folks,

I made some of my own trays as well, super easy and they work really well.

1) I bought the 22 gauge precut steel sheets from Home Depot in 12" x 12".
2) There were some rust spots so I used Naval Jelly to remove and treat the rust, this stuff is super.
3) I sprayed the sheets with a standard car body Rust colored primer.
4) Lastly, I sprayed the sheets with a couple THIN coats of Truck Bed liner in black/dark grey.

When the trays dried, the surface is quite durable with a rippled/mottled texture. Both magnets and blu-tac work great for sticking the Dwarven Forge tiles to them.

Peace

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Well so far I have had decent success with Gorilla Glue on the handful I have had to reinstall. I have also used a filled superglue on a few when I ran out of GG. I did make sure to clean out the old stuff in the cavity since one time I had one just peel out the old glue/epoxy. Had not actually bonded to the base material.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:47 am

OK - a bit more info - we are all learning as we go

the 2mm magnets i used were N35

the 1mm were N38

so i could get stronger ones... hmmm...

I will look into that (especially for the freestanding walls which i would be cool if they could grip through a tile, but i doubt it) - but the force of these magnets was enough for most pieces (the beefiest cavern walls would benefit from 2 magnets or a stronger magnet)

stronger would make a greater challenge for the glue... which is my weak link at this point
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:10 am

Seraphis the Bland got some info from Chuck and had posted in another thread a while back:

"You want N50 or N52 magnets. The "N" just stands for "neo" or neodymium. The number is what indicates strength and 52 is the strongest for neodymiums. You'll want that because the magnets we use are pretty small. Despite being the "strongest", N52's are actually pretty cheap. Ebay is a great source for them. Just pay attention to the size. The largest we use for wall accessories are discs 3mm thick and 5mm across."

Seems like there were some questions regarding magnets that were addressed in by the Knightess during the KS. I don't see them right now, but remember reading them somewhere...

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:20 am

Update - i showed these to my son and he was stoked he pulled up a tile to check out the magnet and the magnet stayed behind (i had been sliding them off) - two more failed while he was handling them

so Gorilla Glue is a FAIL!

I will experiment with other adhesives

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

yeah - that occured to me - i was just adding magnets to the scene i need to rebuild for friday (i had it on a piece of MDF covered with a piece of cloth, but the cat decided to lay on it and so it is totally destroyed!) and it had a couple of free standing walls

not sure they will have the strength to pull through another tile (pretty sure they won't) but it would be worth doing to use them directly on the trays

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:20 pm

kitenerd wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:10 pm
no idea relative strength

mine are definitely wider (ease of handling) i will need to get tiny ones for freestanding walls as the bases aren't big enough

not sure what thickness DF is using
Don't the FSW usually go on top of dungeon pieces? Or do you use them directly on the terrain tray?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:10 pm

no idea relative strength

mine are definitely wider (ease of handling) i will need to get tiny ones for freestanding walls as the bases aren't big enough

not sure what thickness DF is using