Who LOVES the new passage design?

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Who LOVES the new passage design?

Post by bernyleung » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Alarian wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:05 pm
@bernyleung - The magnetized trays are a good point. I am planning on getting the multi-pack of each type but I hadn't planned on getting the magnets and holder things. I may have to rethink that a bit. I still don't know if I want to spend any money on the free standing walls though. I have SOOOO many KS1 walls and KS2 passages already that I can't ever imagine a scene where I would need more walls.
Good thing there's a Passage add-on without floors. Good for veterans with large collections.

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:56 pm

So for those with lots of KS1 passages which sets are the best bang for the buck If you want pieces to build module maps? I am looking at passages-walls and classic dungeon advanced builder. Those two sets ha e different style corners so I think I need both. Since I have lots of passages I think I can skip the hallway set and with the other 2 sets would have enough corners to skip intersections.

Thoughts on this? Really trying to keep my pledge under 350$ this time.

Alarian
Orc
Orc

Post by Alarian » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:05 pm

@bernyleung - The magnetized trays are a good point. I am planning on getting the multi-pack of each type but I hadn't planned on getting the magnets and holder things. I may have to rethink that a bit. I still don't know if I want to spend any money on the free standing walls though. I have SOOOO many KS1 walls and KS2 passages already that I can't ever imagine a scene where I would need more walls.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm with Alarian on this.
I'm trying to base my small pledge around NOT getting the passages and it'll be pretty hard not to end up with some of them. I guess that's O.K. because I can work with them in negative space builds, but I wish the Encounters didn't all have the 2" passage sections included. I already have tons of 2x2 floors and really don't want the passage walls, so I'll be paying that extra (albeit small) amount with every encounter. I have a similar view with the free-standing walls too.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Saxon1974
Orc
Orc

Post by Saxon1974 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:38 pm

The terrain trays are neat but you have to buy the trays, overlays to get a grid, magnets/anchors and they are only 12x12 so it's a big expensive just to get a few of them so think I will pass on them..Maybe later on.

Can't decide on passages as I am one who has many older style but like to build out modules.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:17 am

Alarian wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 am
I seem to fall into the minority. They seem a bit too figity for me. I tend to pre-build my encounter(s), then break them down into sections, put them into baggies and take them to where I game (except for my resin stuff!). All the separate walls would increase my re-build times too much. I pull out the needed baggy as each encounter is revealed and wouldn't want to slow the game down any more than needed. I might feel different if I set them up once and left the entire dungeon set up at my own home, but I rarely even use the free standing walls I have from KS1 because they tend to fall over whenever the table is bumped (I know these have bottoms so thats much less likely to happen, but I can't think of a time yet where I found myself unable to build something because I needed a bunch of free standing walls.
Well, it seems that the part of this KS with terrain trays and magnetizable (not a real word, right?) tiles are for you. Continue to bring your encounter parts in bags. Set the encounter rooms up in advance on the terrain trays, frontloading all the time needed for the fiddlies. Bring them out as needed. Win-win!

Alarian
Orc
Orc

Post by Alarian » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:44 am

I seem to fall into the minority. They seem a bit too figity for me. I tend to pre-build my encounter(s), then break them down into sections, put them into baggies and take them to where I game (except for my resin stuff!). All the separate walls would increase my re-build times too much. I pull out the needed baggy as each encounter is revealed and wouldn't want to slow the game down any more than needed. I might feel different if I set them up once and left the entire dungeon set up at my own home, but I rarely even use the free standing walls I have from KS1 because they tend to fall over whenever the table is bumped (I know these have bottoms so thats much less likely to happen, but I can't think of a time yet where I found myself unable to build something because I needed a bunch of free standing walls.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:05 pm

I think there is some confusion regarding stretch goals...

Buy the encounter - get the stretch goal associated with it.

The table broken down by dungeon level is to illustrate what stretch goals you get per dungeon level. The left column indicates which encounter gets the indicated stretch goal.

Buy the dungeon level that includes the encounter - get the stretch goal by virtue of the encounter being part of the dungeon level.

Regardless of how you buy the encounter you get its stretch goals.

Don't just look at the pictures... read the page!

GX.Sigma
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GX.Sigma » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:51 pm

I'm very excited about the new passage walls. I can't believe we didn't notice them on any of the preview photos!

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:26 pm

I agree Kitenerd. The biggest advantage is being able to remove walls to more easily get access to miniatures. I love the new system. Luckily I went easy on the old system and only have two narrow passage sets and one large passage sets. I found the old system with all the different pieces more "fiddly" than this new system.