Round roof at Michaels

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Round roof at Michaels

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:49 pm

I missed them too.

I am thinking they are not made any more. I have not been able to find them anywhere... amazon, ebay, hobby stores...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Il likely never get any but I would like a half dozen or so. No Michael's in Japan.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:42 am

I am still envious I missed these. Maybe they will bring them back this year.

Peace

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:52 am

Dang, those look identical to mine. I'm not even sure what colors I used, but I will say, we could place all of ours on the table and neither of us could pick which are our own. Well I couldn't, they are a spot-on match. :?
Good job. :)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Resurrecting this thread since I finally got around to painting mine:
  • Very heavy drybrush (almost a base coat) with Pokorny cardboard
  • Washed with brown wash (I used Citadel's Agwhats Earthshade on this one because I'm trying their washes out, but just a wash made from mix of Pokorny black and base wood on the others was fine too.)
  • Drybrushed with a mix of Pokorny cardboard and Pokorny school bus yellow
  • Did a bit more washing right under the edges where each roof layer ends and between the deepest cracks
  • Drybrushed with the previous drybrush mix and added some stone edge drybrush
  • Drybrushed again with some Pokorny white added
[/list]

And voila:

I'm really happy with these now! And happy to have shared the tip. :D

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 pm

astolat wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 pm
Hey all, this isn't a mod exactly but I stumbled across this thatched roof today at Michaels for $2.09 (it's meant for a beach palapa umbrella), and it fits beautifully on top of the small tower! It's not quite right with the windows but hey, for $2.09 I figured I'd pass it along since they had a bunch of it at least at my store -- it was in the 70% off miniatures section.

2017-07-18 17.11.26.jpg

2017-07-18 17.11.22.jpg

2017-07-18 17.11.31.jpg
A thank you now I"ve had months to use these, Astolat. They have come out of the drawer an average of 1game in 2!!! So many uses. One campaign is in a jungle just now, so they see these roofs almost every game...DF campaign is entering a large plain, and the native buildings often have this roof. DFS is entering a huge volcanic caldera where the natives zip about on gas-supported boats...so probably not so much for the grass hut roofs in that campaign!

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, Except KS5
WeaselWarGod

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:52 am

I missed out on the rooftops, but I got some ridiculously cheap flock that will be passable for flowering bushes or trees, a couple treasure chests in the right scale, and a couple other odds and ends. The Halloween stuff used to have more trees and bare trees of interest, but in recent years I have been disappointed. I hope they have Xmas village stuff again this year. The ones in my area didn't carry any really last year.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:43 pm

I really hope Dwarven Forge sees these posts and starts making some cool roofs for City Builder.

All the michael's in my area were out as well and I was unable to obtain any. Maybe they will bring them back in the spring.

Peace.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Astolat, can't thank you enough. I love those roofs, and though I got no joy here - all our MANY local Michaels' were out - a trade of a few excess torch stands and a very helpful Trog got me my roofs, which are in the USPS right now.

Thanks again!

This is another way Trogs help one another...

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:26 pm

After seeing this post I was out shopping today and was able to check on two Michaels in the area. First one had no thatched roofs, but a number of other useful stuff in those collections (some cows and pigs the right size for example) and some greenery. The second store had the Thatched roofs (aka Tiki thingy's) and I picked up some. They have a pretty amazingly good fit on the small towers. Thanks for this thread.