Treasure Chest

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Treasure Chest

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 pm

So I was a backer of the Fantasy Coin Treasure Chest Kickstarter; I'm still waiting on my chests and I don't think they will ever come. I have a bunch of coins from various kickstarters and I was going to store them in some nice looking chests for gaming aids, a display/conversation piece, and for my kids so they can tell all their friends we have a treasure chest full of coins at our house. :)

I'm at the point where I need to do something; the USPS Priority Box I'm using is starting to show its age and I just want a final solution. Anyone know of any good value wooden chests that are sturdy, look like a real chest, and hopefully even have a place for a lock? I don't have a lot of woodworking tools or I'd just do my own, however I'm not opposed to putting together an already cut kit and staining the chest.

I'm looking for something at least 12-14" long and maybe 6-8" wide. It needs to hold a decent amount of coins and not break. I don't want a small jewelry box chest as those are too small. I'm hoping to keep it ~$50 if possible though I know it might be difficult. I would pay a little more for a good quality chest I can use for a long time.

I looked at Hobby Lobby and they had a chest but it looked way too flimsy for a bunch of heavy coins.

Any ideas?
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Treasure Chest

Post by pacarat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 pm
So I was a backer of the Fantasy Coin Treasure Chest Kickstarter; I'm still waiting on my chests and I don't think they will ever come. I have a bunch of coins from various kickstarters and I was going to store them in some nice looking chests for gaming aids, a display/conversation piece, and for my kids so they can tell all their friends we have a treasure chest full of coins at our house. :)

I'm at the point where I need to do something; the USPS Priority Box I'm using is starting to show its age and I just want a final solution. Anyone know of any good value wooden chests that are sturdy, look like a real chest, and hopefully even have a place for a lock? I don't have a lot of woodworking tools or I'd just do my own, however I'm not opposed to putting together an already cut kit and staining the chest.

I'm looking for something at least 12-14" long and maybe 6-8" wide. It needs to hold a decent amount of coins and not break. I don't want a small jewelry box chest as those are too small. I'm hoping to keep it ~$50 if possible though I know it might be difficult. I would pay a little more for a good quality chest I can use for a long time.

I looked at Hobby Lobby and they had a chest but it looked way too flimsy for a bunch of heavy coins.

Any ideas?
Not knowing what the HL box looks like - would it be possible to do a plain, sturdy insert for it?

HL used to have some plain wood boxes (~ shoe box sized) that you might be able to adapt...

A wood knife, silverware, cosmetics, or backgammon/chess/poker box might also be an option...

And check your local thrift stores... :-)

Bossman
Orc
Orc

Post by Bossman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Zaltar has a most impressive chest

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
So I was a backer of the Fantasy Coin Treasure Chest Kickstarter; I'm still waiting on my chests...
Alas, I know this kickstarter well. I ordered three. Two were gifts for my adult gaming children Christmas presents in 2015. Heavy sigh.

I would also like to find a well-made relatively inexpensive chest for similar purposes.
Last edited by lostpict on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:32 am

I know that Michael's has some. They are in the unfinished wood craft section. All you will have to do is stain it to your color of choice. You can probably use some brads to reinforce the floor, maybe add in a small piece of wood or plastic as a new floor to support the coins. If you use plastic, hot glue some cloth over it.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:37 am

lostpict wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
So I was a backer of the Fantasy Coin Treasure Chest Kickstarter; I'm still waiting on my chests...
Alas, I know this kickstarter well. I ordered three. Two were gifts for my adult gaming children Christmas presents in 2015. Heavy sigh.

I would also like to find a well-made relatively inexpensive chest for similar purposes.
I'm sorry to hear that one hasn't fulfilled yet. I went in on that one and then had to back out due to other financial obligations at the time (can't remember if it was car repairs or some other unexpected expense), but I was very disappointed that I couldn't get in on one since I'd been building my gaming coin collection and need something to house it all.

One suggestion that you've probably already realized, but that I've told a lot of people - don't go in on a Kickstarter as a gift for someone's birthday or other hard-set day. It's a pretty big crap shoot with Kickstarter.

I'm also still looking for a chest for my game coin hoard. I currently use one of my kids' sand buckets:
20170728_103501-756x1008.jpg
20170728_103501-756x1008.jpg (75.6 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am

Chuck,

Yeah, KSers are a pretty unreliable present delivery system. I had fingers crossed and realized they may not make Christmas. Just didn't realize that it would not make Christmas again and again. :D

I had also bought a number of fantasy coins and planned to include some in the chests. For the present, I keep them in a similar array of Crown Royal bags. Somehow or another, I have about 20 or 30 of those bags - not sure where they came from. ;)

KS are fun, but definitely a gamble. Even for reliable companies that have had a lot of successful ones under their belt. It seems they most often go astray when the KS is something new, different & ambitious than the path previously trod.
Regards,

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:00 am

lostpict wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am
Chuck,

Who's Chuck? ;-)

It's Josh. My last name is Chunick. :D :lol:

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 am

Chuck, I mean Josh, I mean oh Gosh. You don't want to be Chuck? So sorry :oops:

My apologies, I could change the post, but that would make me look even sillier.
Regards,

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 am

There's this Pirates of the Caribbean Chest that I'd like to get my hands on:
http://bit.ly/2w6x7Xv

There's a movie prop version and the much cheaper 4 movie collection blu-ray set that comes in a chest that looks like it may be a reasonable size.
http://ebay.to/2vQe0kS

Movie Prop (it looks like it's out of stock):

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... er=MRDS182

4 Movie Collection:

Return to “Gaming Talk”