Help with Paints Needed for KS5

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Help with Paints Needed for KS5

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Ok, I see it now, thanks. Not sure what colors he used to put it together, but the moss green DF paint might do the job well. I really like that color though it might be a bit brighter than the orc green he is using. The DF color sludge might work well also as it is a darker green but still kinda murky looking. You can get those for really cheap, and in rally big bottles at the store.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 pm

OK, watched another video .... "Pokorny Pre Mixed Extra Fine Grade Colours" on YouTube. Now, will the four base paints be offered for $29 again, or just need to shell out $40?

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:58 pm

I got the color from the Basic Painting Techniques Video under the Tutorial menu. It's discussed (and mixed) at 1:20 and 3:09.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:49 pm

Do you have a pic of the color "orc green?" I do not remember where it was.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Adding to the conversation ...

I have a few packs of KS1 that I have painted following the tutorial videos. I'm getting a small amount of KS5 in a few months (it's getting close now), and I'm starting to think about the paints. I've used a variety of inexpensive paints (DecoArt, FolkArt, Apple Barrel, Ceramcoat) as well as some Vallejo Model Color paints with good success. However, I can't seem to get or mix a color I like for the "Orc Green" final painting step. I need help finding an out-of-the-bottle color to use for this final step. I could probably do an easy mix of two colors as well. Suggestions? Thanks!

galahad
Orc
Orc

Post by galahad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm

great - I love the DF paint guides. They are awesome.

advice - buy the DF set of brushes when you get your big bottles of paint - they are a great deal!
Pontifex Maximus of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 am

My factory painted KS1 sets appear to be matched without a base gray, stones picked out with Earth Stone, and a final dry brush of a mix of Stone Edge Dry Brush and Olive Dry Brush.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 am

Sorry, a couple of final questions (I think)! It seems that there's different opinions on whether the base gray is necessary. Is it really necessary to use this as the base coat before painting the tiles? Aren't the tiles a gray color to begin with? I was figuring that this wasn't really necessary?

I understand that there are many detailed parts of the tiles that will require a variety of colors. In saying that I already have a good array of paints so I figure I could use what I have to paint the details such as the pillars, door hinges, etc. My real goal is to make the base color of the tile look like KS1.

To achieve that I think the most important colors I need after using the suggestions already posted are Earth Stone (to pick out the individual stones) and Stone Edge Dry Brush (to dry brush the tiles to appear as similar as possible to the KS1 tile color scheme).

Did I miss anything with these thoughts?

Arbados
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Arbados » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am

A paint guide would be fantastic! Was any information on this released? I want to make sure I didn't miss it. I think I've been pretty patient ;)

We're getting so close to getting these pieces that I can't wait to be ready with all the glorious paints!

Thanks all for assisting. I really want these pieces to closely match my current ones, but just couldn't afford painted this time around. I enjoy painting so if I can get the colors right and they match my existing pieces I'll be ecstatic!

Memnor

Post by Memnor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 am

This is the info i was given in a reply to an email i sent in last month:
"We will have more info on the paints for Dungeon of Doom later this fall. We will be introducing a paint guide online (from our official painter, Erin) and a few new paint colors. Best to wait for Erin's guide."

Just a little patience.