Suggestions from the peanut gallery

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Suggestions from the peanut gallery

Post by szabbran » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:08 pm

combs1ng wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:09 pm
My great thought for the day is - I would love to see an cavern island encounter with water tiles all around a central land mass slowly sloping upward toward the center (think Harry Potter in the Cave with Dumbledore and undead) and maybe some edge pieces leading down to the water on the perimeter of the encounter. The entrance could be a hole along the perimeter that leads under the water and pops up on the island in the center. Of course the simplicity of it all would undoubtedly raise alarms in the heads of your players as some creature(s) live in the water and some treacherous trap awaits along the rocky perimeter
I've run several encounters like this using ledges, and negative space, and a combination of KS2 caverns and KS4 mountain pieces (which are just an amazing cavern extension at my table). Really, really fun and has tons of possibilities for combat, environmental interaction and player creativity.

A recent scenario like the one above that I ran had the party on an elevated platform (8x8 floor surrounded by ledges) with a steep dropoff on the sides. The platform itself was rough terrain because it was piled ~knee deep (or waist deep for our poor deep gnome) in bones, and a Roper hung above the center of the platform disguised as a stalagmite. The party took the bait of the shiny item they could see stuck in the creatures maw and ended up fighting it off with plenty of high-flying acrobatics and a couple of near-death experiences.

combs1ng
Kobold
Kobold

Post by combs1ng » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:09 pm

szabbran wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:36 am
Just had my one stroke of genius for the day (month? year?)- for the KS 6 caverns I would love to see a wall shape that includes some kind of natural looking arch to it that matches the shape/dimensions of the KS5 vaulted walls. This would let us slot in things like the ossuaries, weapon nooks, or other inserts to flavor the caverns! And then any new inserts for the caverns would also be compatible with the KS5 dungeon tiles. Large vaulted 2x4 cavern walls could also look amazing, and allow things like the golem walls to be added to a cavern.

Seems like this could be a very cool way to include versatile decorative pieces. I'd love to use ossuaries or a weapon nook to add some character to a goblin cave!

If they went this route, what new inserts would you like to see? I think some Dwarven statues could be cool up against the vaulted walls in a cave or dungeon. Or maybe a cocooned adventurer/skeleton?
THIS THIS THIS - GREAT IDEA SZABBRAN. One of the main reasons I bought Dais of the Dead encounter in KSV was for those catacomb like inserts and I think this would tie KSV and KSVI together nicely.

My great thought for the day is - I would love to see an cavern island encounter with water tiles all around a central land mass slowly sloping upward toward the center (think Harry Potter in the Cave with Dumbledore and undead) and maybe some edge pieces leading down to the water on the perimeter of the encounter. The entrance could be a hole along the perimeter that leads under the water and pops up on the island in the center. Of course the simplicity of it all would undoubtedly raise alarms in the heads of your players as some creature(s) live in the water and some treacherous trap awaits along the rocky perimeter

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:39 am

Law wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 am
I've thought about it long and hard, and then my Doom arrived and I got to examine the execution of KS5 first-hand, and having given the matter due consideration, I have concluded that KS6 has to include one particular piece for me to consider it a success. It is the one piece I need for my DF collection to feel complete, the keystone for the entire structure, the very foundation on which the entire DF enterprise must rest.

I need a little tiny dungeon to go inside the little tiny dungeon that's inside my little tiny dungeon. And then - *snarf* - I need a little tiny dungeon to go inside THAT, and then a tiny dungeon - *eye twitch* - to go inside THAT, and then - *high pitched giggle* - another tiny dungeon for inside THAT, and then - *men burst in and start to drag me away* - YOU CAN'T FIGHT THE TRUTH! DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE LIZARD PEOPLE! I'M TELLING YOU IT'S TURTLES ALL THE WAY DO * klonk!*

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
You want a 'klonk!*' !?

They have not been see since the time of yawning.

sorry we might have cut to the end of your post a little sooner than we should :oops:
I am the Game and I want to Play

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 am

Yep. Dwarvenite Fever.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:03 am

The wait was too long, I see.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 am

I've thought about it long and hard, and then my Doom arrived and I got to examine the execution of KS5 first-hand, and having given the matter due consideration, I have concluded that KS6 has to include one particular piece for me to consider it a success. It is the one piece I need for my DF collection to feel complete, the keystone for the entire structure, the very foundation on which the entire DF enterprise must rest.

I need a little tiny dungeon to go inside the little tiny dungeon that's inside my little tiny dungeon. And then - *snarf* - I need a little tiny dungeon to go inside THAT, and then a tiny dungeon - *eye twitch* - to go inside THAT, and then - *high pitched giggle* - another tiny dungeon for inside THAT, and then - *men burst in and start to drag me away* - YOU CAN'T FIGHT THE TRUTH! DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE LIZARD PEOPLE! I'M TELLING YOU IT'S TURTLES ALL THE WAY DO * klonk!*

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:45 pm

I am also hoping for this.

stratocumulus
Kobold
Kobold

Post by stratocumulus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm hoping for some grand entrances...like a dwarven one, drow type, etc... that stand taller than the normal DF scale....maybe 5" or 6" ...I'd even settle for a 4"er...where's Elye when you need him?!!!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:16 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 am
I swore someone from DF had already hinted long ago at a cavern elevation platform being done in KS6
We cannot imagine this not being done for KSVI.

Assuming its a success in backers hands and builds (cannot see why it wouldn't) we can see many more varieties being provided in future Kickstarters.
I am the Game and I want to Play

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:31 am

I think we will see a lot of the new Dungeon stuff from KSV done for caverns in KSVI. The basic development work is done, so why not expand?