Suggestions from the peanut gallery

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Suggestions from the peanut gallery

Post by William » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 am

I think because, as a player would be looking down into the dungeon even farther.
Standing up on your tippy toes, bending your back like an 80 year old (or me) over the edge of the game table, craning your neck to see every tiny thing inside a small cavern, peering down to the bottom of that deep little hole on your table top. ;)

Sounds more uncomfortable than single height walls. :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:09 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm
Double height dungeon and cavern walls work for us, as we believe it would give a more claustrophobic feel to tunnels etc.

Rabbit, I'm missing something...how would double height walls INCREASE the feeling of claustrophobia?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Double height dungeon and cavern walls work for us, as we believe it would give a more claustrophobic feel to tunnels etc.
I am the Game and I want to Play

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:12 pm

I want to comment on Laws double size walls.

As I was working on this flooded mine encounter idea,I decided that some 4 inch tall parts would be a very useful idea.

1" by 4" by 8" would be better.

Larger clift/cave sections would make stacking eazier. 3D looks so much better.

I want to mention resin water. I do not like seams. I am going to make a single section 1' by 1' for this section.

I will use MDF for the base because I will not have to hide the wood grain.

Black primer

Deepwater green base

Light green edges with Woodland Scenic Realistic water.

Dark green gives the illusion of depth. I will have to purchase some MDF of the correct thickness to match my resin water tiles. I will probably use varnish as the finish. The 1' by 1' water tile will be modular.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by szabbran » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm

I really need to work on uploading some photos, because I have a cavern layout on my table right now that I think does some of this Law. Can't promise that the description below makes any sense without the visual.

The party entered into an upper level (cavern tiles set up on a 8x8 mountain floor with posts underneath to elevate). From there, there were two different directions where they could proceed through doors and down either stairs or ramps to other levels, but otherwise this upper level room was walled in. I just placed additional cavern tiles on top of the mountain floor to surround it with actual walls, but this isn't very efficient. It was a large dungeon, so rather than wasting floor pieces to double the floor on top of the mountain platform, I used ledge pieces along the cavern walls to create an uneven floor- this ended up being a cool effect.

Overall, I think it ended up being a good representation, but I definitely see value in some double sided walls like you are mentioning. Could really lend themselves to more organic cavern builds too which, if the beans so far are any indication, is the direction they are headed in KS6.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 am

One thing I'd like to see, though this may not be the right kickstarter for it, is someway to do a double high walls. We can do it with the cities, though not easily since you would have to buy a lot of advanced builder sets. But it almost matters more for me as something to use with the elevation pieces in the dungeon of doom.

If you make one giant room with two levels, like Gorgon Tiers, then it's very clear what you're looking at, and what character is on the higher level are seeing. One room with two levels.

But when you have a full dungeon layout, lots of different rooms adjoining each other, only one of which is higher, it's ambiguous what the rooms around it are supposed to be. Are they ALL the lower level of a shared platform, but only one has stairs? Is it like a stage? From the higher level I can see down the stairs I just ascended to the space they're in, but can I see the other rooms next to and below me? Am I on a stage next to them or in a different room? The demarcating walls are below me, so what do they represent? A full barrier that's supplied in part by my imagination? Or are those walls merely the walls of my stage? Things like the new arches add to the ambiguity - I'm on top of that, so the walls right next to it may actually end and I'm on top of them. Unless the intent is that those walls continue "in the game" and you just can't see them - because we don't have double high walls.

Generally, if the raised area is part of one room only and not related to its adjoining rooms, that's easier to convey if you have double high walls to clearly cut it off from the other rooms. Then it becomes clear that this particular room has much higher ceilings and the other rooms in the dungeon, and because it has much higher ceilings, part of the room is it at higher elevation than other parts of the room. But it's more clear that is one room with a very high walls as opposed to one elevated platform that serves as a platform that you can lock down on any number of other lower levels surrounding the room.

As for the mechanics of it, I've been using the clip-on wall accessories for the castle set and I can imagine something like that. Something that clips onto the wall below to hold it in place.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:13 am

geekjeff wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm
ShaynePatrick wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am
and the magic items was...Bag of Tricks!
Deck Of Many Dooms
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Is that one above the Deck of Dwarvenite Addiction or below the Deck of Total Awesomeness?
I am the Game and I want to Play

combs1ng
Kobold
Kobold

Post by combs1ng » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:35 pm

szabbran wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:08 am
combs1ng wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:53 am
How many players did you have and what about what lvl were they when you ran this encounter with the Roper?
6 PCs... around level 4 at the time I think? This encounter was on the tail end of an extended jaunt through abandoned Dwarven mines that had been occupied by grimlocks and the basilisk they'd taken to worshipping (as well assorted other nasty things trying to extend their own foothold in the mines). The party was looking pretty beat up heading into this and had a chance to avoid the area entirely, but they'd heard a rumor of an unrecovered magic item that they hadn't run into yet which was enough to send them looking for more trouble.
Very cool! Yeah, when you dangle that magical item in front of them they will be sure to follow.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm

ShaynePatrick wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am
Deck Of Many Dooms

ShaynePatrick
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ShaynePatrick » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am