Suggestions from the peanut gallery

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Suggestions from the peanut gallery

Post by JK - 123456 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:44 am
I was thinking today about the caverns kickstarter, and thought how cool it would be to have some way to have ceilings.

Hear me out.

It would be fun to be able to cover my cave with above ground terrain and have the adventures enter through a hole and go DOWN into the cave structure. You then take the top off of the cavern (thereby moving the above ground terrain) as they enter. Basically I want a way to support a hill or something on top, while using elevation to still have a dynamic build. Something like the trays from the castles kickstarter that allowed us to build on top of first floor rooms in dungeons, or something like a terrain tray from the DoD kickstarter that would look good as a concealer.

Is this too confusing? Should I draw a picture or am I making sense?
you suggest a terrain tray, how about one with a hole in it? this could be a 1x1 or 2x2 (or just a little smaller as to provide a ridge for the above piece to fit). Then you could simply lift off the piece above it.. It would be cool to station this under the trap door out of the DoD... actually would be awesome if the traps/trap-doors actually dropped them to the level below... so the terrain tray could have a just-under 2x2 hole (offset from the center so you can spin the tray and have a bit more choice for drop down locations) this could still give the feel you are after. of have I misunderstood?

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

geekjeff wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:15 pm
Oldent wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 am
William wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 am
I think because, as a player would be looking down into the dungeon even farther.
Standing up on your tippy toes, bending your back like an 80 year old (or me) over the edge of the game table, craning your neck to see every tiny thing inside a small cavern, peering down to the bottom of that deep little hole on your table top. ;)

Sounds more uncomfortable than single height walls. :lol:
I was going for fear of edges/heights and bad carpenders :D
New dungeon hazard: Dire Termites!
Very 1st ed.! In the 70s when D&D first came out giant ants were a common low level random encounter. Now their ecology makes much more sense. They supplemented their regular diet of level 1 adventurers with wooden mining supports.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 am

szabbran wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:12 pm
Oldent I LOVE what you did with the combination of mountain platforms and narrow walkways in that build. Really inspiring.
Thanks. I am trying to get everything painted before the rest of KSV shows up.

This is my idea for the waterfall.

I am going to try and duplicate the resin water tile finish. I need to find some MDF of the correct thickness,
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:46 am

Oldent wrote:
William wrote:
I think because, as a player would be looking down into the dungeon even farther.
Standing up on your tippy toes, bending your back like an 80 year old (or me) over the edge of the game table, craning your neck to see every tiny thing inside a small cavern, peering down to the bottom of that deep little hole on your table top. ;)

Ahh Old Man Willows multi dimensional tree of many Wonders and terrors, the OCD terrifying dimension of the Incompetent Carpenter, oft visited yet seldom escaped, at least not without several shin splinters from those dammed caffeine tables.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

szabbran
Goblin
Goblin

Post by szabbran » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Oldent I LOVE what you did with the combination of mountain platforms and narrow walkways in that build. Really inspiring.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:43 pm

GardenDM wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 am
GODofwar wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:09 am

Rabbit, I'm missing something...how would double height walls INCREASE the feeling of claustrophobia?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
Put yourself in the shoes (or base) of the mini, there is no roof but the walls are much higher than you are and so feels more enclosed, therefore INCREASING that feeling of claustrophobia.

But that might just be us ;)
I think bunnies must like the comfort of a closed in space and call a space with more head room claustrophobic. Many things seem to be opposite the norm in bunny-land
I'm going to quote this often to Rabbit.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except for KS5
WeaselWarGod

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Oldent wrote:
William wrote:

New dungeon hazard: Dire Termites!

GardenDM
Ogre
Ogre

Post by GardenDM » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 am
GODofwar wrote:
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm
Double height dungeon and cavern walls work for us, as we believe it would give a more claustrophobic feel to tunnels etc.

Rabbit, I'm missing something...how would double height walls INCREASE the feeling of claustrophobia?

The Least Weasel
Put yourself in the shoes (or base) of the mini, there is no roof but the walls are much higher than you are and so feels more enclosed, therefore INCREASING that feeling of claustrophobia.

I think bunnies must like the comfort of a closed in space and call a space with more head room claustrophobic. Many things seem to be opposite the norm in bunny-land. ;)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 am

GODofwar wrote:
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm
Double height dungeon and cavern walls work for us, as we believe it would give a more claustrophobic feel to tunnels etc.

The Least Weasel

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 am

William wrote:

OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!