KS Encounter Ideas

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS Encounter Ideas

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Yup, that's just a telescoping antennae. I know you used to be able to get them from Radio Shack; I don't know where to go now; maybe Walmart or the like carries them? I bought a collection that had a wide variety of custom space ships and they used the antennae to show the ships at different heights in space. Just get a wood block (or something else) that has enough mass to keep the thing stable, screw the antennae in, and hot glue a pedestal for your mini. If you can do a magnetized mini, that would work best.

I sound like Oldent.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

jazzman
Orc
Orc

Post by jazzman » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 am

Wonder if there is a telescoping gizmo. Like an antenna with height markings on it. "I levitate up to 15 feet to look around the cave." Queue the telescoping stand set to the 3 inch mark. "Can't see over the rubble pile so I levitate up to 20 feet". Expand stand to 4" mark.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:01 pm

here are some ideas
kodiakbear wrote:Here is another idea

http://paizo.com/products/btpy9u75?Comb ... s-Base-Set

thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Post by thedmstrikes » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am
kitenerd wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm
I would love to see a darknantle or lurker with corner supports tht could be set over a mini - that is wht i want
I got the plastic u-shaped pieces used to set up displays in retail stores - large batch when the Container Store here went out of business. Come in 3 sizes. Use them for flying stands and for this. They set up over most minis and they are semi-invisible...

TLW
Would you mind posting pics of you find? I am approaching the time to get something to represent flying creatures and PCs on the board and this sounds different. Thanks!

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 am

kitenerd wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm
I would love to see a darknantle or lurker with corner supports tht could be set over a mini - that is wht i want
I got the plastic u-shaped pieces used to set up displays in retail stores - large batch when the Container Store here went out of business. Come in 3 sizes. Use them for flying stands and for this. They set up over most minis and they are semi-invisible...

TLW
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:25 pm

"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I may make it wider so that can be a DM screen
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 pm

jazzman wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:57 am
Exactly kb!

Imagine a party entering a cavern with a couple of wicked stalagmites inconspicuously placed on the floor. When a party member moves to a certain spot between them you swoop in with the ceiling/bridge piece with a magneted menace attached to the underside. If they are under your lurker when you place it they are the target. You can use elevation blocks to make it higher. It would be cool if they made more natural looking elevation blocks in the new KS. Less cube like that is. Kind of like cave pillars.
I like your idea of a natural shape. Small versions could be made with flying stands.

I think you have hit on something. What if you could include the terrain trays. This grass lands on one side cave ceiling on the other. I wonder if magnets would be strong enough to use the base as a ceiling.
This is clamped to bench hogs I will work on a stand.

jazzman
Orc
Orc

Post by jazzman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:57 am

Exactly kb!

Imagine a party entering a cavern with a couple of wicked stalagmites inconspicuously placed on the floor. When a party member moves to a certain spot between them you swoop in with the ceiling/bridge piece with a magneted menace attached to the underside. If they are under your lurker when you place it they are the target. You can use elevation blocks to make it higher. It would be cool if they made more natural looking elevation blocks in the new KS. Less cube like that is. Kind of like cave pillars.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 am

jazzman wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:27 am
Back to the "ceiling" encounter idea that's been mentioned a few times. A metal infused ceiling would allow a multi use encounter for magnet enabled minis like piercers, darkmantles, lurkers, hanging green slimes and black puddings, bats and ropers. Or just even a falling stalactite or net trap. So many possibilities. Heck I'd consider gluing metal under a large floor piece to do it. Would be much more realistic with an oddly shaped ceiling instead of a square floor though.
I like your idea. I am going to think about how to pull it off. :D