Session One new campaign :::: The Onus

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Session One new campaign :::: The Onus

Post by dice4hire » Wed May 29, 2019 7:49 am

lol, of course I do, like you need more bunnies.

Actually the more the merrier. Actually I need more sculpts of pillars as I basically only have two styles.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 am

Very cool d4h - feels like we have adventured along with you :)

Some cracking builds and fab minis - though it looks like you need some more pillars ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun May 26, 2019 4:46 pm

We have played a lot of levels, all in D&D 4E. We ended at a bit of a superpowered level 10, and will start the next game at the same level. We have found level 3 to 20+ works pretty well in 4E. Older editions were a much tighter range for us.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sun May 26, 2019 9:41 am

I have found that the smaller the group of characters, the more challenging it becomes to keep encounters reasonable and not be walkovers or too tough to handle. If your players are the types that can recognize when they are overmatched and will actually flee if that makes the best sense, then it becomes easier.

We have almost always had at least 5 players and sometimes up to 8 in the various games we have run and played in over the past four plus decades. There is another challenge when facing larger parties is that to be a good threat to the party, the BBEG can almost certainly overmatch any one character with "ease" unless they are a super tank.

It seems like the characters end up fairly high level in your games. What level range do you enjoy the most as a DM? One of the other DM's in our group loves the middle single-digit levels (D&D 3.5), and almost always winds down a campaign as the characters hit like 12th level or so. I on the other hand, find it fun and challenging to run the characters up to just short of Epic levels (high teens) where they can take on extremely powerful foes and affect the fate of the world, like it seems your games do.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 pm

I am VERY used to running 3 characters, as we have been playing together a long time. Once we had companions and even one or two of them changed things around a lot!!!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Sat May 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Cool setting and campaign, but it has to be a challenge to keep from overwhelming a party of three. I tend to run larger groups so if one or two go down the party still has a viable chance. Just the simple action economy can waste a small group. I see how you had the major defenders of the snake god come out and engage in sequence and not all at once. A nice way to control the level of threat, and to wear down the resources of the players.

Interested in how much of that is intentional and how much was just the way things worked at the portal.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Very cool!
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 25, 2019 6:01 pm

And we finally finalized the finale of our campaign!!!!!

The party was heading to the last encounter where the snake god(demon) was trying to get through the portal in his full form in order to displace the gods and basically become the one ruler. Unfortunately he had three problems to deal with.
Onus Final A.jpg
Onus Final A.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final B.jpg
Onus Final B.jpg (136.26 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final C.jpg
Onus Final C.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final D.jpg
Onus Final D.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final E.jpg
Onus Final E.jpg (109.6 KiB) Viewed 372 times
but he also had some help, a series of snakes(worms) that would devour the party and let him enter unmolested.
Onus Final F.jpg
Onus Final F.jpg (103.99 KiB) Viewed 372 times
The first one lasted a single combat round due to the rogues fine critical hit.

The second lasted just as long again thanks to a rogue critical hit.. (When you do 80 damage on a critical, enemies do not last long)
Onus Final G.jpg
Onus Final G.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 372 times
The lord snake boy was showing a few signs of nervousness at this point.

Then he called in number three a much larger snake.
Onus Final H.jpg
Onus Final H.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final I.jpg
Onus Final I.jpg (97.41 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final J.jpg
Onus Final J.jpg (102.86 KiB) Viewed 372 times
... whop lasted a bit longer, almost three rounds, but did some damage.

And then it was time for his big guns, his snake companion who had been with him for millenium.
Onus Final K.jpg
Onus Final K.jpg (84.84 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final L.jpg
Onus Final L.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Who did not do well at all, though he bloodied most of the party and forced them to use some nearly-irreplaceable powers.

And then it was the snake boy alone, and worried by now. He came out to fight and at first did pretty well, avoiding a bit of damage and dealing some of his own. But on the last riser, he failed to heal and the party kept up the pressure even when he dropped the rogue 63 hit points in one attack.
Onus Final M.jpg
Onus Final M.jpg (88.99 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Onus Final N.jpg
Onus Final N.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Butthe snake demon fell, and there was much rejoicing, especially when the party was able to absorb enough of his essence and divine power for immortality and a few more blessings.

Finally, they drew the Goddess of Magic back through the portal and thus the pantheon was restored to its full power, while the snake god was sent away to his demon plane, never able to return, at least to this world.

And that ended this campaign.

Next up is playing through the Dungeon of the Mad Mage board game, and then a new campaign run by MBCE. We will be staring at about the same power level, inthe same multiverse, but up for more plane hopping. Should be fun.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:21 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:15 am
It has been a good campaign. I hope the next campaign runs well also. I am already thinking of my character
How about a Dwarvenite 'sightly annoyed at shipping' addicted monk who is a exporter of the finest foam bricks the far east has to offer?

He could also have a sideline in dungeon building and painting :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:15 am

It has been a good campaign. I hope the next campaign runs well also. I am already thinking of my character

Return to “COOL PHOTOS OF DF SETS!”