Post by dice4hire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:51 am

sorta kinda human.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Session One new campaign :::: The Onus

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Pillars look good - got a notification that ours are on their way :)

Fabulous builds d4h, adventure sounds like a whole bunch of fun.

We think that minion or cultist loyalty was dealt a severe blow when nametags were no longer mandatory uniform as provided by the evil overlord.

Even cultists are human ....... well mostly.....
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:16 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:32 pm
Cultist loyalty is not what it once was, apparently.
I'm seeing this more and more in today's Evil Empires.
No respect for the chain of command, every ghoul for himself.

It's hard to blame 'em tho - no dental, no 401K.
If the blood-orgies weren't so much fun, why I'd... ;)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Oops the first picture should be the one at the bottom of the post, the Jade statues. I'm afraid to try to edit the post so just a note here.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:32 pm

Onus Session 35  K.jpg
Onus Session 35 K.jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 213 times
And first my new Jade pillars thanks to DF. Comparing them, the new ones seem a bit paler, so not sure what I have, pure Jade or painted clear..... Whatever, they look good!!

On to the adventure!!!!!!

The party has now entered the Elemental Tower in search of the last essence of the Snake God so they can trump the other priest of the Snake God and pave the way for the return of the Goddess of Magic. The first area is a section of caverns where the old cultists made and still make their lair.
Onus Session 35  B.jpg
Onus Session 35 B.jpg (111.26 KiB) Viewed 213 times
(Yes, much of the build was from the last session, the section they did not explore. Sue me!!! :lol: )

They entered the caves and explored near the door, finding out that they needed to follow "the most difficult path" and luckily finding a rod that one of the cultist had hidden that showed the way clearly. That cultist will be answering for the breach of security soon, I am sure. They started to follow the path and saw a pillar ahead
Onus Session 35  C.jpg
Onus Session 35 C.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 213 times
That became an Umber hulk when they ventured too near.
Onus Session 35  D.jpg
Onus Session 35 D.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 213 times
The fight with the hulk was over soon though the Runepriest did get chewed upon quite well. The next challenge was a pair of Rock phasers who were ready to attack the party when they were under a rockfall just beyond the doorway. Unfortunately one of the phasers was pulled onto the trap by one of the characters and he got the benefit of finding out how well the trap he built worked. It worked well. Ouch!!

The party then defeated the phasers in short order.
Onus Session 35  E.jpg
Onus Session 35 E.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 213 times

After the phasers had been slain, the party ran into a friendly rocklike mushroom man (a former cultist) who told the party that he and his friends in the complex had been ordered to attack any intruders by one of the void corrupted cultists and would of course do so, ...... in a decade or so. He said it would be a vicious attack indeed when it happened, so the party had best not be in the complex a decade hence.
Onus Session 35  F.jpg
Onus Session 35 F.jpg (92.28 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Moving along the party passed many former cultists who all threatened dire attacks with some easily passed stipulation. The most memorable was the gargoyle at the bridge who claimed he would destroy all who approached him crossing the bridge, and then who proceeded to fly to the characters side of the bridge so the party could cross without approaching him. Cultist loyalty is not what it once was, apparently.

Then the bossman appeared, a large humanoid with black skin and voided eyes. He was immediately aggressive and the fight was on.
Onus Session 35  G.jpg
Onus Session 35 G.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 213 times
The Runepriest took two baths in the pool but was able to get up and out and back into the fight fairly easily, luckily for the party.
Onus Session 35  H.jpg
Onus Session 35 H.jpg (62.87 KiB) Viewed 213 times
The fight also took a darker turn when the void corrupted cultist entered the void and emerged with a copy of himself, giving himself a good deal more fighting power
Onus Session 35  I.jpg
Onus Session 35 I.jpg (96.98 KiB) Viewed 213 times
But it was not enough and the first of the two void corrupted cultist guardians fell, leaving one in the next area, for next week.
Onus Session 35  J.jpg
Onus Session 35 J.jpg (93.19 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Onus Session 35  K.jpg
Onus Session 35 K.jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Attachments
Onus Session 35 A.jpg
Onus Session 35 A.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 213 times

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:24 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:43 am
Gaming is big here and I know of at least a half dozen other groups in Nagoya both Japanese and foreign. There is a gaming convention every year with 8 tables, two days of events and no sales area. MBCE and I try to go every year. There are some bigger conventions in Osaka and Tokyo but I have never been.
Personally, I'm fascinated by the way the Japanese have embraced Fantasy gameworlds over the last 20 years, made them their own, and then reflected them back at the West. I see a lot of animes that tip the hat to D&D - most recently (and blatantly), Goblin Slayer. I would love to see a Japanese D&D session, for the differences and similarities - more focus on teamwork, maybe?
I've also noticed this in the way the Japanese adapted Western music - setting Rock/Pop aside for a moment, they have some amazing Jazz players/composers, and sound incredibly fresh, where the US jazz scene has been running on fumes for a while (my opinion, of course).

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:27 am

Like :)

Cool to read a bit of DooFers hobby history and experiences
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 am

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:43 am

The last friend (MBCE here on the forums) I am not sure of his story too well (I forgot it) but maybe he can chime in here.
My story is pretty simple. Got a job teaching English here right after finishing college. Went the first three years or so without playing until I was introduced to d4h.

We've been playing together ever since. If I remember correctly, it was d4h that introduced me to DF's Kickstarter. So it's his fault my wallet has experienced Doom for the past six years!
The gaming scene is good, but not really very well connected.
Well, for English speakers it's not very connected. Recently, the Japanese players have really embraced D&D 5E now that they have released the translated books. They're expensive though, about $60 each. Paying for translations is expensive!

Still, the players love it when I can bring my DF to a session. Normally, we play at d4h's house so we end up using his collection more. The only time I get to use my collection of DF is when I lug it to the gaming convention. Of course, I then try to use everything I have. :D

I'm glad that I met so many players here in Japan. It's good to spend time with people at a table playing a game I love.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:43 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:01 pm
Question about your group: I know you said you teach English in Japan, are the rest of your group also all English speakers? I'd love to hear your group's history of how you found each other and how gaming is different in Japan compared to the US.

Honto ni omoshiroi desu!
All three of us (One Canadian and two Americans) teach English and have been here for 15+ years. I came here to live with my wife, whom I met in university in the USA. The Canadian friend came here for a wedding during his round the world jaunt and ended up staying.

The last friend (MBCE here on the forums) I am not sure of his story too well (I forgot it) but maybe he can chime in here.

The Canadian friend and I met on a train platform after teaching English. He taught at one factory and I taught at another, but we got off at he same time and saw each other on the platform, and then stalked on the way back into Nagoya. MBCE and I met through another friend who did D&D but moved back to the USA about 15 years ago.

We have been playing for a long time, with occasional and temporary other additions to our gaming group both Japanese and foreign. We started in 2E, and then 3.x and finally 4E. We do not play 5E though MBCE does run another 5E game at the local FLGS. We have done a bit of Deadlands over the years, but mostly Fantasy.

Gaming is big here and I know of at least a half dozen other groups in Nagoya both Japanese and foreign. There is a gaming convention every year with 8 tables, two days of events and no sales area. MBCE and I try to go every year. There are some bigger conventions in Osaka and Tokyo but I have never been.

The gaming scene is good, but not really very well connected.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:13 am