Don't Get the Hatred for Dwarvenite-G

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Don't Get the Hatred for Dwarvenite-G

Post by Talistran » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 am

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:15 pm
I also dislike the Dw-G when painting. I felt the level of detail was too low.
I can tell a visual difference on the Dw-G on the factory paint; they are less detailed than regular Dwarvenite.

That said, I don't mind them, I wouldn't have castles in the way we have castles without Dw-G... and I love my castles.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:15 pm

I also dislike the Dw-G when painting. I felt the level of detail was too low.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Our 8x8 mountains floors are fine too :)

But we like our 8x8 castle floors too :)

Largely indifferent to the material - they both have their advantages.

Surprised at the strength of opinions on DwG - it looks and plays no different to Dw - its only when your building do you really notice the difference.

But if we had to decide we would go for DwG - it does not warp eailiy and is much lighter - which when your storing and stacking a lot of DF certainly helps.
I am the Game and I want to Play

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:59 am

The 8x8 floors were originally expected to be G, but the factory was confident they would cast well in PVC and the detail depth is better so that's where they ended up.

Elevation Platforms are the only major component which will be G this time, although some minor other bits were also to be cast in G like the internal mechanism of the Sacrificial Pit and I think the Spike Trap Floor portion and Magnetic Wall Spears (because nobody wants droopy spears.)

Regular Dwarvenite (PVC) is always preferred, but DF listens to the factory when they say something will work better in G (ABS plastic.)

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:12 am

Harneloot wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 am
It was my understanding that the only thing in KS5 that was made from Dwarvenite-G was the Storage Box/Elevation Platform and that every single other piece, including the 8x8 floor tiles. was made from regular, dense Dwarvenite.
Verified it with the Google Spreadsheet on the DoD kickstarter campaign page. You're actually right. Strange I thought I actually looked at it earlier and it was supposed to be Dwarvenite-G. Did they changed it or was it actually Dwarvenite made from the start?

In any cases, now, I'm getting some lol.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 am

It was my understanding that the only thing in KS5 that was made from Dwarvenite-G was the Storage Box/Elevation Platform and that every single other piece, including the 8x8 floor tiles. was made from regular, dense Dwarvenite.

jgt4242
Orc
Orc

Post by jgt4242 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:50 am

My 8x8 mountains floors are perfectly fine. I just hate the Dwarvenite-G feel. If I wanted Lego i would buy Lego.
Are the DoD 8x8 floors coming out in normal Dwarvenite? I thought those were going to be Dwarvenite-G...

Could change my mind about not buying them if it's the case...

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:01 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:19 am
Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 am
I would not want 2x2" pieces to be Dwarvenite-G.
Why not?

I do not hate Dwarvenite-G nor do I love it, if I had to choose I would want everything that can be made in Dwarvenite to be made in Dwarvenite and things that must be made in G to be made of G. I would say I prefer the weight, feel and look of the original and feel G is too lite, too shallow on detail and feels more like a Lego floor than I would like. Have said that I have quite a few Elevation Platforms coming and I would think G would always be better for them but not IMO for 8x8 floors.
I would not care if DF made 2x2” in Dwarvenite-G but 2x2” are not as prone to warping in my experience so I don’t think it is necessary.

I don’t know if I got a bad batch. Mine are all from the KS. I contacted DF and they recommended hot water and weighting them down. I did that but after they cooled and the wet was removed the corners and edges slowly began to pull back up. I am trying sting them down upside down with a wt on them right now.

I just know my castle 8x8 are fine and I can’t tell they are G unless I tap on them.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:04 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:01 am
I have 6 and they all came warped. Although 2 are not badly warped.
The ones I have came from the KS, the web store after the KS and the restock of the web store this year, any of mine that were not 1000% perfectly flat after shipping flatted out at room temperature. If you have left them out on a table in a warm room and they have not flatted out then you must have gotten a bad batch IMO. I would suggest asking DF for replacements.

Sad to hear such awesome tiles are not being awesome for you.

I suppose that is how you feel about as you say " Don't Get the Hatred for Dwarvenite-G"

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:19 am

Kryzsko wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 am
I would not want 2x2" pieces to be Dwarvenite-G.
Why not?

I do not hate Dwarvenite-G nor do I love it, if I had to choose I would want everything that can be made in Dwarvenite to be made in Dwarvenite and things that must be made in G to be made of G. I would say I prefer the weight, feel and look of the original and feel G is too lite, too shallow on detail and feels more like a Lego floor than I would like. Have said that I have quite a few Elevation Platforms coming and I would think G would always be better for them but not IMO for 8x8 floors.