The great Burrows Reveal RPG session - KSV comments

Yacker
Kobold
Kobold

Re: The great Burrows Reveal RPG session - KSV comments

Post by Yacker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:31 am

Thank you for all the feedback and suggestions.

It seems since Nate did the show they have sold out some of the bigger sets (I like unpainted as I'm in Canada and cost is high period). You made good points and thanks for the pictures. I am not sure if I would do a massive layout with them but it could add a nice variety to a layout as side track.

Love the plant idea also on the side to block off the negative space it saves on trays. The reason for myself to go small could be that it seems to take a lot of table real estate when you use them.

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am

Vegomatic wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 am
zenako wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 am

While they do have the "Break thru wall" into a dungeon tile, they could use some sort of floor tile with a similar access point for a tunnel coming from below.
The Khri Colony comes with two surface transition pieces. Most of the add on packs have one as well.

It is a 2x2 hole floor with a bit if rubble around the hole. It works well with dungeon and cavern floor tiles.
You're right, I forgot about those 2x2 tiles. Probably because I chose to store them in the Burrows bin and not the Ruins Bin where I put the 2x4 dungeon wall with the burst hole in it. I use the Ruins Bin a LOT more often. When I wrote it, I was thinking about something like a 4x4 tile with an opening in it. Not unlike some of the Secret Weapon Mining floor tiles. Would still be of interest since it would be hard to support the 2x2 tile on an elevation so the opening drops right down to a burrow, while a 4x4 has some room to put stilts or things to support the tile. I like to try and capture elevation effects in the build so the players also get a real sense of lines of sight, etc.

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:49 am

zenako wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 am

While they do have the "Break thru wall" into a dungeon tile, they could use some sort of floor tile with a similar access point for a tunnel coming from below.
The Khri Colony comes with two surface transition pieces. Most of the add on packs have one as well.

It is a 2x2 hole floor with a bit if rubble around the hole. It works well with dungeon and cavern floor tiles.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:28 am

PS, Weltenlaefer - using the big roots, vertically, is also a learning point for me. Nice b/c I expect to use my burrows again very shortly!!

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, I hope still including KS7 but I'm beginning to wonder...
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:04 am

Weltenlaeufer wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:46 pm
@Yacker: The burrows are epic! I just love how they look like a natural tunnel. And they are really fun to build with! You can use them as tunnels for everything and can put any kind of critter in there, snaketunnels, spidertunnels, ants whatever. I think its one of their best "themes". Would love to see expansions for them in the future. Highly recommended!

Oh yeah and the elevation aspect is killer!

I would start with some chambers, a tunnel set and an elevation set.

Weltenlaefer, thanks a lot. I never thought - duhhhh - to add plants and so on outside the tunnels. No, they don't affect play - but the DO fill the negative space with something besides space, and, well, it works! Thanks for the idea.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, I hope still including KS7 but I'm beginning to wonder...
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by zenako » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 am

They are a neat variant for a more earthy natural tunnel system, but they are very different, they do not form larger chambers for encounters very easily so from a gameplay options perspective they are more of nice niche. I am happy with mine, but have not really used them in gameplay yet. They have a very different look than normal caverns or dungeons, in that the walls are very short (perhaps 1/4 height of normal walls) so they do not blend smoothly.

I have also found that making all the elevations work and fit over each other can be a pain, and you always seem to end up one ramp short when making your own build and having to adjust the plan. Unlike the other styles, we only have a limited amount of the burrows tiles (the whole encounter from the KS). While they do have the "Break thru wall" into a dungeon tile, they could use some sort of floor tile with a similar access point for a tunnel coming from below.

I do not know how well they sell. Until they did the recent Build of the Month with them, had not seen much of any DF stuff with them featured in it that I recall. It would be neat if they have a small expansion pack as a potential add-on in a KS at some point that would address some of the tiles that folks have mentioned they would like to see, like the floor tile I mentioned above, which could just as easily lead to a set of caverns instead of burrows.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 pm

I love burrows and would welcome an expansion.

Unfortunately, they were released with KS5 as one of two "extra" themes to the dungeon and apparently didn't sell well as people were tapped out from everything else. I think they've sold well in the shop though? Correct me if I'm wrong.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Weltenlaeufer
Orc
Orc

Post by Weltenlaeufer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:46 pm

@Yacker: The burrows are epic! I just love how they look like a natural tunnel. And they are really fun to build with! You can use them as tunnels for everything and can put any kind of critter in there, snaketunnels, spidertunnels, ants whatever. I think its one of their best "themes". Would love to see expansions for them in the future. Highly recommended!

Oh yeah and the elevation aspect is killer!

I would start with some chambers, a tunnel set and an elevation set.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Burrows are useful for a ton of things. Just plain natural tunnels, but in earth instead of rock. I recommend them to everyone.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Yacker
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Yacker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm

Nate setup was nuts last month and love reading the game plays.

Burrows is still something I do not own. I am on the fence with it as I am trying to picture how often would I actually use them against dungeons or caverns all time staring at a empty cart.

I think if I was to start in the collection of burrows I would grab the wicked cavern pack and then then maybe the Burrows Elevation pack. thoughts from burrow lovers?

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”