Alternate paint schemes - pillars

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Alternate paint schemes - pillars

Post by Oldent » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:14 am

William wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:12 am
I'm liking the second one better than the first one with speckles.
Nice job PR. :)
I like the speckles better.
I would add a speckle glitter varnish The pink granite would take a high polish and have mica speckles too.

The finer glitter finishes are usually marked sparkle vs glitter. Twinkles are large.

Pink dolomite would also look nice. Pink and white marble is also an idea.

Glitter stocked for summer vacation. The wonderful thing about grandkids is you can hose them off and send them home. :D
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Ebonsword
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Ebonsword » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:15 am

William wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 am
They used to do an eight pack with the resin pillars. I wish they would do that for dwarven pillars from KS-3 battlement packs too.
I've painted some KS-1 pillars blue with gold accents and I've seen several colors in Feymous layouts.
They also did a two pack of the Realm of the Ancients pillars. Which I wish they would really bring back because I don't think they were ever available any other way.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:12 am

I'm liking the second one better than the first one with speckles.
Nice job PR. :)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Re: Alternate paint schemes - pillars (#2)

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:15 am

Pillar #2 - I'll be doing a bit less than half of my KSV in sandstone. I love Lady Sabelle's latest "shoe polish" sandstone, but lacking shoe polish I had to embellish a bit...
FB_IMG_1524888444801.jpg
Red and yellow sandstone
FB_IMG_1524888444801.jpg (87.81 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
The top and bottom are 2 Cardboard + 2 Reaper Golden Blonde + Stone Edge, with Reaper Brown Ink thinned as a shoe polish substitute, dry brushed with the Golden Blonde. The pillars are Reaper Redstone, drybrushed with 1:1 Redstone + Stone Edge. Decorations are Reaper Darkened Brown drybrushed with the Golden Blonde.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:44 am

Not a fan of pink but your paint job is spot on with it.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 am

They used to do an eight pack with the resin pillars. I wish they would do that for dwarven pillars from KS-3 battlement packs too.
I've painted some KS-1 pillars blue with gold accents and I've seen several colors in Feymous layouts.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:13 am

Oh - and DF should really make packs of these pillars to sell. I could paint endless varieties of pillar if I didn't also wind up with more treasure piles, beds, and other furniture...

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:10 am

I'll take a second look at it tomorrow from a distance. I'm thinking of doing a more faded version; I think this one is accurate for pink feldspar (took quite a bit of time in color matching, really), but maybe something a bit less striking might be called for in a dungeon setting.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:36 am

I am not fond of pink granite so it is not my cup of tea but what matters is if you like it, but I think you did a very good job. Of course a important thing for me to think about is how does it look from two or three feet away, many terrain or miniature paint jobs look best from two to three feet away or face to game table distance.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Alternate paint schemes - pillars

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:13 am

Opinion please... I'm not really interested in the red "standard" pillars for a KS5 paint scheme, so I'm victimizing a set of KS1 pillars to try alternatives. This is my first thought - pink granite and a darker "basalt" type accent (in KS5 that will be the arch and caps, here it's the rings and end-caps of the pillars.
FB_IMG_1523681423970.jpg
Pink granite pillar
FB_IMG_1523681423970.jpg (81.7 KiB) Viewed 883 times
I got a bit impatient with the speckles so it's not my ideal "final" version...

The thin top and bottom bits are Lady Sabelle's "Scheme #2" - Pokorny Base Gray, 50/50 Gray/Stone Edge, and Stone Edge drybrushes. (The surrounding KS3 wall sections are the same...) Darker areas are Reaper Pure Black/Mist Gray. Pink granite is Bright Skin Shadow with stippled Pure Black/Mist Gray, Mist Gray, and Pearl White. Pearl White was used for the capital decoration. Stone Edge drybrush was applied to the whole.

I wasn't thrilled with either the idea of spattering or scrubbie application for the granite, so I went out and bought the nastiest art brush I could find - a 1/4" flat black bristle brush from Linzer. It's really nappy and coarse; with a bit of patience I think it will be perfect.