Alternate paint schemes - pillars

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Re: Alternate paint schemes - pillars

Post by Phoenix Rising » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:21 am

biowizard wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 pm
I once saw a tutorial of someone painting very realistic marble. He had used a tooth brush slightly dipped in white paint and then used his fingers on the bristles to create a very fine mist of white paint droplets targeting the object to be painted. The result was stunning and the white "dots" obtained were way smaller and chaotically spread then what you can easily obtain with a paint brush.
I thought about spattering my granite, but couldn't bring myself to deal with the mess if I decided to use it for my KSV pillars! Another tutorial suggests a scrubbing pad for stippling I might try that some day.

For this marble, I'm mimicking a very specific stone that's actually an aggregate; the splotching in pictures of it reminds me of tables with fossilized ammonites included. I'm thinking of trying a 4x4 floor with it, including some white streaking like many larger pieces of this stone have. Or maybe going with a more traditional, duller red marble for the floor. Also contemplating how to make my marble flooring flat and polished!

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 pm

I once saw a tutorial of someone painting very realistic marble. He had used a tooth brush slightly dipped in white paint and then used his fingers on the bristles to create a very fine mist of white paint droplets targeting the object to be painted. The result was stunning and the white "dots" obtained were way smaller and chaotically spread then what you can easily obtain with a paint brush.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 pm

My wife becomes a partial painting widow on Monday - we'll see how this translates to KSV vaulted pieces! Thanks for the eyeballs and feedback!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:22 pm

i especially like how much the red makes the gold pop out color wise

nice combo!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:15 am

Skills Phoenix Rising

Very nice Pillar
I am the Game and I want to Play

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:28 am

Very nice job on the pillar! I'll probably just do mine in a jade green theme.

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm

astolat wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:04 pm
I love the pillar! I was thinking of green marble for my unpainted dungeon tiles, but I might try upgrading the painted ones in the DOD with this style...
This will be the pillar style for the gray 60% of my DoD+. I've played with my pink granite a bit and it's still just a bit too pink for D&D; this came out wonderfully elegant and weird at the same time.

FWIW, the step I cut out in these instructions: I did some Clear Red after the initial basecoat and before the sponge. If you feel you're not getting what I got, that's the simplification...

I have one pillar left; think I'll try for a black marble, just to try real marbling techniques.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:04 pm

I love the pillar! I was thinking of green marble for my unpainted dungeon tiles, but I might try upgrading the painted ones in the DOD with this style...

Phoenix Rising
Orc
Orc

Post by Phoenix Rising » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:35 pm

I was basing it on a French fireplace - and I was too lazy to do the white marble lines that appear in other red marble samples. Rouge griotte is weird stuff.

https://goo.gl/images/GUuuZo

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Looks good, but I might drop o the pearl white. Very cool!
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned