First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

zenako
Orc
Orc

Re: First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by zenako » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm

When this DM hits you for a d6 of damage it hurts....

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Encounter 5 with all the pieces...(not that much different). All my pieces are now stacked up with the thought of how to make something different with them beyond the prearranged configurations.
Encounter 5a.jpg
Encounter 5a.jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

ZayrZas
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ZayrZas » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for review and pictures!
Not aligned walls will problem drive me crazy too.

steel_knight
Kobold
Kobold

Post by steel_knight » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks for sharing these pictures and first impressions. It is very nice to see what all of this looks like, but it does make me wish that I had ordered more.

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:07 pm

The glitter on Encounter 2 Force walls was annoying on the table once I spotted it, and then I could not avoid seeing it. (Also don't like greeting cards with glitter either!). Fortunately, none of my walls with metal tabs arrived bent or out of shape. I too noticed the challenge of getting the walls in Encounter 6 to stay flush with the acid floor. Also, when using those types of walls with the floor tray, they are not magnetically adhered so you cannot just pick it up.

I too noticed that the headers on the walls with the secret door or bar insert was darker, but mine were not anywhere near as black as the ones you have. Looks like they did not get a final dry brush (as heavy as it may be at times) on those headers.

As I commented elsewhere, the "troll snot" holding the magnets in their mounting holes seems to be working quite well. I will just add a couple of other pictures from the shipment.

Here is a picture of the DoD logo bag that was in Encounter 1.
The attachment DoD Bag.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
DoD Bag.jpg
DOD bag
DoD Bag.jpg (49.54 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
Last edited by zenako on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

First impressions of Encounters 1 - 6

Post by Talistran » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Hello all. I've seen a few requests for pictures from those of who have received the pieces. I got mine Friday, but due to a horrendous schedule, wasn't able to open them until today; considering the combined 3 total hours of sleep I've had since Thursday night, I couldn't even sacrifice sleep to play with them. But here we go... here are some pics as I build up the designed encounters.

Encounter 1.

Things I really liked: The LED pieces are really cool. The "tiny dungeon" is just cute. The double doors are awesome... but you have to be careful how you pick it up, or the door arch comes with your hand and the rest stays in place as the doors fall to the ground; I imagine I may try some blue tack to hold it in place, because the doors fall out easily.

Overall, I think this is a fun little "room" and the pieces are going to be great to build with.

Encounter 2. I just randomly places walls of force different places.

Things I really liked:

The walls of force are amazingly cast and pretty dang stable. Also the "supports" at the bottom are cut in such a way that they don't get in the way of other walls of forces at 90degree angles. The LED is pretty cool, like the alcove piece. And while I don't have a picture of it here, the pit trap is really cool... the magnetic floor remover works AMAZINGLY well and is a great tool; pictures of this in action in a later encounter.

Things I didn't like:

The sparkles/glitter on the walls of force gets all over your hands and the other pieces that it comes into contact with.

Encounter 3.

Things I really liked:

The circular room is awesome cool. I really wish we had other inserts for the circular walls like doors, bars, and the like instead of just wall or no wall.

The 4x4 floor is great. A little warped, like usual. But I'm hoping that I can flatten them under some wood like I have been able to with the others. And unlike KS2, the 4x4 floors are not too wide and long (at least my first impressions they are not).

The trap doors are cool and painted pretty well.

Things I didn't like:

The freestanding corners are not square. They won't stay square. It is the same problem every freestanding corner I've ever had from DF has... they aren't square. They really need to be cast with metal inside to keep their shape. These aren't as bad as KSV "inner corner walls" were... because we can bend them back unlike the gorgonite. I just don't like freestanding corners.

The paint job on this encounter in particular is pretty bad. You can see some examples in my last picture: poor contrast, extremely heavy drybrush, etc.

I do not like how heavily the arch doors stand out. ALL of my arch doors are this way. The headers are SO black that they stand out. The paint job on all of mine is way too black. You can see this in my last picture here as well (and in Encounter 1).

Encounter 4.

Things I liked:

I liked this encounter more than I thought I would. The corner doors are really cool and nicely executed.

The corner secret door is amazing, but I knew I would want it. :)

Things I didn't like:

The paint job on the corners is significantly different than the walls. Like the arch walls, the headers on the corners are too black compared to the walls IMO.

Encounter 5:

First it should be noted that my encounter 5 was missing quite a few pieces. I didn't have the 2x classic magnetic walls, the 2x chains, the 1x plinth, or the 2x nets in mine. And I had an extra 2x1 floor. So my pictures are slightly different.

Things I liked:

I liked the floor traps and the flame traps. This is easily my least favorite encounter primarily because of...

Things I didn't like:

Passageway walls. I dislike them. I hate that they change up the floor grid. They raise the height of the floors noticeably (to me, I am sure others are less picky). They are not straight and require a lot of tweaking to get them straight. and lined up. You'll see an example of this in Encounter 6. Also, many of them came bent pretty badly. Here is a picture:

Yes, I am able to get them bent back.

I just don't like the passageways. And this becomes even more of a problem for me in Encounter 6, although I think they are a better idea for rooms (ironically) filled with acid than as passageways :)

And it should be noted that my passageway corners are also NOT square. :( You can see it in several of the pics.

Encounter 6.

Things I liked:

First, I think there is a really good, solid feel to the elevation pieces like the arch. My paint job on this encounter was fairly decent, nothing huge to complain about. I'm undecided about how much I like or dislike the tray. But, I really like the look of the acid :)

And I really like the elevation blocks... again. They look and feel great.

Things I didn't like:

The passageway walls are finicky and hard to get to align with each other. I think this problem will get worse over the years as the metal gets weakened by adjustments.

The tray has about 1/3" of the material that extends beyond the metal all the way around. This creates problems in getting the walls to line up because you can't just butt it up solid against the metal. My walls and corners were constantly pushing themselves away, creating cracks and gaps. This was in part because of the passageways and part because of the tray.

THere you go.

Any questions? :)

I am WAY more excited about Encounters 7+ and the add-ons than I was about encounters 1-6. And these were pretty great.
Last edited by Talistran on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.