Anyway to temporarily paint/enhance pre-painted tiles? (Results pictured in thread)

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
thedmstrikes
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Anyway to temporarily paint/enhance pre-painted tiles?

Post by thedmstrikes » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:41 am

Arravis wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm
thedmstrikes wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 pm
They seem quite fragile, have you had any incidents with them? I am strongly considering adding felt to the bottoms so they will not slide easily (and accidentally of the table and smash onto the floor, at least that is the plan).
I've not had any pieces chip or break yet, and to be honest, I've not been super gentle with them. I suspect though that if the pieces chip, that since they that base sand-color, it would just end up looking like an ancient ruin and perfectly fine. I did paint the pieces myself, so touch ups are trivial (I'll include instructions below if you're interested, super easy).

As far as basing them, yep, I did just that. I didn't use felt though since I wanted to increase their heights slightly to better match the base floor heights of the Dwarven Forge pieces, so I used sticky-back black foam instead. I bought mine at Michaels, for either $1 or $1.25 a sheet for the larger sheets. I only needed 3-4 sheets to do two base sets with a few extras of the Path of Osiris kickstarter. Anyway, having the sheets pre-clued made it super easy to apply then cut around the piece and the thickness of the foam made the heights nearly perfect and they don't slide around at all.

Path of Osiris Painting Instructions: The creator of the Path of Osiris uses Folkart Bark Brown (you can get it at Michaels) to paint all his pieces. He uses a wash of 1 part paint to 10 parts water, but I liked mine with a bit more contrast, so I went 1/5. Each piece took less than a minute to complete, just put on the wash with a large brush, wipe away the wash with a paper-towel, reapply the wash to any missed spots and use the paper towel once more. Oddly enough, the more used the paper towel becomes with the wash, the better it seems to work! It was a cinch and took no time at all, I'm very glad I got mine unpainted.
Thanks Arravis, this sounds like a better option than the felt since it will give it that slight height increase. Let me know if you are in the Tampa, FL area, I will buy you a beverage of your choice!

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm

I hadn't seen them, thank you very much for the links!

Exactly what I planned to do :-)

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Having issues with posting pics in the previous one... so here you go, also including a picture from the previous year's Kevycon. By the way... illustrating the stylized green-devil beard was a pain in the butt!
Attachments
DF_KC_7.jpg
DF_KC_7.jpg (143 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Kevycon2017.jpg
Kevycon2017.jpg (95.2 KiB) Viewed 630 times
DF_Kevycon_2017.jpg
DF_Kevycon_2017.jpg (176.53 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 am
Were there any survivors? That’s one brutal module!!
We had a few deaths, the most magnificent being from the first group that decided that ToH's riddle that says to "shun green if you can, but night's good color is for those of great valor" meant that they had to go into the Green Devil's pitch black mouth without touching any of the green around it. So the PCs rolled a natural 20 as they heaved-ho the monk into the mouth (and its Sphere of Annihilation inside of it)! It was spectacular, one of my DM's bucket-list items I never thought I'd get a chance to do!

This was game at a mini-convention we hold here in Huntsville, it of course has its fair share of experienced grognards that know better, but that session was mostly new young players combined with a group of older players (in their 60's) that hadn't played since the late 1970's. So they weren't familiar with the infamous effects of the Green Devil sculpture.

Since my game sessions tend to fill to overflowing, I normally hold the same 4-hour game twice in one day with different players. This year though, unlike previous years, I made the events of session 1 carry over to session 2. So if someone dies in a spiked pit trap and the session 1 PCs leave the body there, the trap is open and the body is there for the PCs of session 2 to find. This made for some hilarity as the PCs left messages for each other, they would re-set some of the traps, or even lay their own new ones!

There was a competition and winners (I had four prizes, 2 dice sets and 2 mugs which I'll be giving away later on), so each room had a certain amount of points available within it (thus the little numbered flags in the pictures). The PCs would know the available points in each room, but not how to achieve them nor how many they got until after the session. By the last sessions, they only got as far as the infamous false-Acererak and his equally infamous Golden Couch, which the PCs hilarously animated with a Telekinesis scroll! It wasn't until after the game session ended and they left triumphantly that they realized that it wasn't the real Acererak, so they want to finish up the dungeon in later sessions :).

Oh yeah, and lastly, we do make t-shirts for the con each year based on the host, Kevin. This year's was particularly fitting combination of both our host and the setting of the opening game... helps when you're the designer though! Pictures in the post below.
Last edited by Arravis on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arravis
Orc
Orc

Post by Arravis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm

thedmstrikes wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:54 pm
They seem quite fragile, have you had any incidents with them? I am strongly considering adding felt to the bottoms so they will not slide easily (and accidentally of the table and smash onto the floor, at least that is the plan).
I've not had any pieces chip or break yet, and to be honest, I've not been super gentle with them. I suspect though that if the pieces chip, that since they that base sand-color, it would just end up looking like an ancient ruin and perfectly fine. I did paint the pieces myself, so touch ups are trivial (I'll include instructions below if you're interested, super easy).

As far as basing them, yep, I did just that. I didn't use felt though since I wanted to increase their heights slightly to better match the base floor heights of the Dwarven Forge pieces, so I used sticky-back black foam instead. I bought mine at Michaels, for either $1 or $1.25 a sheet for the larger sheets. I only needed 3-4 sheets to do two base sets with a few extras of the Path of Osiris kickstarter. Anyway, having the sheets pre-clued made it super easy to apply then cut around the piece and the thickness of the foam made the heights nearly perfect and they don't slide around at all.

Path of Osiris Painting Instructions: The creator of the Path of Osiris uses Folkart Bark Brown (you can get it at Michaels) to paint all his pieces. He uses a wash of 1 part paint to 10 parts water, but I liked mine with a bit more contrast, so I went 1/5. Each piece took less than a minute to complete, just put on the wash with a large brush, wipe away the wash with a paper-towel, reapply the wash to any missed spots and use the paper towel once more. Oddly enough, the more used the paper towel becomes with the wash, the better it seems to work! It was a cinch and took no time at all, I'm very glad I got mine unpainted.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 am

Vegomatic wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:19 am
EDIT: TOH needs adding to the common terms and abbreviations thread
https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... =17&t=9115
as we don't know that one ....Tomb Of Horror? Twist Over Here? Turn Off Hard?
It has been added.
It would be a lot of fun to run a new group of experienced players through it.
Thanks Veg :D
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:19 am
It has been added.
It would be a lot of fun to run a new group of experienced players through it.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 am

That is a nice setup and nice idols, traps etc all over.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:19 am

Echo....echo....

Fantastic build Arravis, that looked like a shed load of fun to play :)

Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 am

Arravis, those game shots look great! Were there any survivors? That’s one brutal module!!