Fix warped parts? And other tips

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Fix warped parts? How to create a wash

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm

The wooden walkways are from the Secret Weapons KS.
William wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:56 pm
That's looking very nice. Those mountain pieces turned out great for a mine look.

You're speed and quality of painting is making me want to hide my set of raised walkways in the closet.
I did finish fitting them into a DF cavern tile system and modded some for a more DF cavern feel, but they are only base coated so far. I'll post when I get them painted to a more finished look. I'm attempting a new way to paint wood, we'll see how that goes.

Can I ask where the ladders are from?
GW siege tower I think. I have some to cut to length.

I am looking forward to the mods you made to the walkways. WIP photos are cool!
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

JK - 123456
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JK - 123456 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 pm

Oldent wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm

The DF waterfall will work as well. The water tray will also be effective.MDF will keep the wood grain from showing.
Oldent - did you make the wooden walkways - pretty neat... like the flooded mine idea.

I'm quietly hopeful that a mine set will be in this kickstarter, just as the burrows was included in the DoD. Mine, smelters and bellows, large forges and fire pits.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:56 pm

That's looking very nice. Those mountain pieces turned out great for a mine look.

You're speed and quality of painting is making me want to hide my set of raised walkways in the closet.
I did finish fitting them into a DF cavern tile system and modded some for a more DF cavern feel, but they are only base coated so far. I'll post when I get them painted to a more finished look. I'm attempting a new way to paint wood, we'll see how that goes.

Can I ask where the ladders are from?
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:46 pm

I started experimenting with a flooded mine

The DF waterfall will work as well. The water tray will also be effective.MDF will keep the wood grain from showing.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:24 am

Oldent wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:59 pm
astolat wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm
pacarat wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:36 am

I get my TC order today... what did you use to wash pieces? Soap/water or something special?

Assuming these are injection molded, I would not expect to have to wash them...
FWIW I just gave it a try painting one of the Terrain Crate tents without washing and it went fine. I drybrushed with Pokorny paints and did a wash with a mix of Golden raw umber, Pokorny sludge, and some Pledge. Everything took first go, nothing beaded up, it seems to be adhering well.

I really like these pieces! Tons of detail and I'm going to be happy to let the seven year olds play with them. The campfires with the spits are fun.

Oldent, what will you use to base the fences? Mine stand okay on a kitchen counter but I suspect they will get easily knocked over in gameplay.
MDF or Hardboard. I have some 1/8 plywood but the edge does not look as good as MDF . I will cut a beveled edge on the table saw. You can use card but it warps. I will post Photos.

Cardboard with stone edge drybrush. Need to fix up the umber. The sleeping bags will get a wash.
What! Not everyone has a table saw :o

Laser cut miniature bases, Woodsies, Greenstuffworld rolled bases

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:03 pm
Nice work your mighty Entness :)

Those crates in the videos have different packaging, but otherwise look identical
Promised ourselves we would finish our latest batch of Death Guard before starting anything new, but these look real easy to paint and will look fabulous in our Dungeons when they arrive.
Must be the retail packages. I Like what the DMG did with the yellow tube paint :lol:
The Black Magic Craft answered my question about the primer.
DM Scotty is always fun.
Can not watch without learning something.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Nice work your mighty Entness :)

Those crates in the videos have different packaging, but otherwise look identical
Promised ourselves we would finish our latest batch of Death Guard before starting anything new, but these look real easy to paint and will look fabulous in our Dungeons when they arrive.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:59 pm

astolat wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm
pacarat wrote:
Oldent wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:23 am

I did not finish the Lever room last night, I washed the Terrain Crate models in stead :D
I get my TC order today... what did you use to wash pieces? Soap/water or something special?

FWIW I just gave it a try painting one of the Terrain Crate tents without washing and it went fine. I drybrushed with Pokorny paints and did a wash with a mix of Golden raw umber, Pokorny sludge, and some Pledge. Everything took first go, nothing beaded up, it seems to be adhering well.

I really like these pieces! Tons of detail and I'm going to be happy to let the seven year olds play with them. The campfires with the spits are fun.

Oldent, what will you use to base the fences? Mine stand okay on a kitchen counter but I suspect they will get easily knocked over in gameplay.
MDF or Hardboard. I have some 1/8 plywood but the edge does not look as good as MDF . I will cut a beveled edge on the table saw. You can use card but it warps. I will post Photos.

Cardboard with stone edge drybrush. Need to fix up the umber. The sleeping bags will get a wash.

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm

pacarat wrote:
Oldent wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:23 am

I did not finish the Lever room last night, I washed the Terrain Crate models in stead :D

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:40 pm