Storage issues

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Storage issues

Post by William » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:25 am

Congrats GoW.
I think it will take another decade here. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:22 am

Thank the lords I finally got reorganized.

Storing DwF in sterilite was just too difficult to use in practice. I had to dig for things, and the drawers when full of heavy DwF stuff tended to tip.

My KZ (war room) has a south wall with Swedish wood adjustable shelving. On that goes sterilite-type drawers. I decided to use that only for 'specialty' DwF items (like Chamber of Sorrows) or 'accessory pieces (ALL my stairs go there, except the curved Castle stairs).

That enabled me to make the leap to storing all my DwF main collections (caverns, dungeons, City Builder and City Builder Castles) in flat map cases. I was amazed at how much fit...all my KS dungeons fit in one 44x28 drawer, for example.

Many small accessories go in the top drawer of a rolling wooden rack, and the Castles and KS caverns all go in the rest (I can roll this right over to my flying game tables). I find I have cut build time by 50% and restorage time by more...everything is in flat, open storage sight.

I have also been able to make the south wall entirely scenery buildings, from the DwF accessories to the paper 25mm rooms to the plastic 15mm buildings.

Much, much better.

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:14 am

The glory of hexmaps, and assuming the dwarves are orgainized out the wazoo. Phalanx defenses against Orc hordes render them tough nuts to crack.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 am

Nice 😀

Some interesting formations in the Dwarven battle lines.
I am the Game and I want to Play

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 pm

Don't get me wrong I still have a few of each, but when you end up with 6+ of each of those big dudes take up a lot of room. Was happy to get a decent price for them and send them to new homes. Combined with all the giants I have from all the other DDM and Pathfinder sets, I got a dang lot of giants (and ogres and trolls and more).

For example this was taken many years ago when I just playing around with Orcs and Dwarves having a battle. A few of the older giants sneak into the Orc side. That was from over a decade ago...
Attachments
Zenako - Dwarves vs Orcs #2.jpg
Zenako - Dwarves vs Orcs #2.jpg (99.52 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Zenako - Dwarves vs Orcs #1.jpg
Zenako - Dwarves vs Orcs #1.jpg (99.25 KiB) Viewed 487 times

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:31 pm

zenako wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:21 am
Oooo! I see what looks to be a couple of cases worth of Monster Menagerie III on those shelves. Fortunately for me I was able to offload/resell a lot of those Huge Giants. They take up a lot of room and I find it very unlikely i will ever need more than a small handful of them.

Gonna have to check out the scrapbook shelving next time I am shopping for stuff like that. I just have all my DF so far in a large 10drawer metal rolling tool chest (with a nice hardwood top) since that puppy can take the weight and not blink, each drawer is rated for 50-100 lbs of storage.
I have a weakness for giants. Being a big fan of the old D&D giant module G 1-3. That and with miniatures I always feel like better to have one or two to many of something than be one or two short when you need them.

zenako
Orc
Orc

Post by zenako » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:21 am

Oooo! I see what looks to be a couple of cases worth of Monster Menagerie III on those shelves. Fortunately for me I was able to offload/resell a lot of those Huge Giants. They take up a lot of room and I find it very unlikely i will ever need more than a small handful of them.

Gonna have to check out the scrapbook shelving next time I am shopping for stuff like that. I just have all my DF so far in a large 10drawer metal rolling tool chest (with a nice hardwood top) since that puppy can take the weight and not blink, each drawer is rated for 50-100 lbs of storage.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 am

thedmstrikes wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 pm
unclebilly wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Oh wow, you are too organized, how do you find anything in there? It looks like you got an extra hellgate (but hard to tell in the pic). If you do, feel free to PM me if you need to generate some extra cash, I would love to add one to my collection without having to sacrifice my soul on the secondary market...
I just have one hell gate. The other things on that shelf are the large doors from Griffin Tamer Kickstarter.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:58 am

I plan to do a reorganization when KSV arrives. Too much stuff is organized too oddly, so will try to get it more sensible.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:10 am

unclebilly wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Glad we are not the only ones with a mixture of storage methods.

We have some large terrain pieces that require deep drawers to keep safe - some old resin FW pieces - but we need more shallow drawers like you have in the second pic, always on the lookout for cheap plastic drawers.

Currently we stack a shed load of really useful boxes, problem is we have been getting them piecemeal and so have no plan on what goes in what box - just what needs putting away at the time.

So need a weekend to re configure our storage methods - really need to do it before KSV arrives but take it into account. At least KSV will be easier to pack than KSIV :)
I am the Game and I want to Play