Too many forum thread icons!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Too many forum thread icons!

Post by dice4hire » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:46 pm

I have unread posts linked and just go from there. Sometimes I use the my posts link too. Forum thread marks do not mean anything to me.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Alkettory
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alkettory » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:26 pm

What icons? ;)

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:52 am

We too are on the apathy train.

Largely ignore the icons and just look for those threads in red - showing there are new 'unread' posts, made life a lot easier the day we marked every post as read :)
I am the Game and I want to Play

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:17 am

Law wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 pm
It's official: the icons accompanying forum threads are out of hand. ;)
Somewhere there is a 12 yr old who knows what it all means - me i just ignore it - like i do with 95% of technology

I am not a moron (and whenever anyone says "I am not...." it is a pretty sure bet they are!). I used to program and tried to teach myself Fortran once upon a time. I simply have no desire to spend all my free time trying to keep up with the 3,000 options the iphone gives me when sending a text - it is a text for goshsakes - it doesn't need icons, or stickers or emotions or urgency - it is a damn text! Repeat this for every other piece of technology which upgrades its operating system more often than i get a haircut and i start to get grumpy ;)

Remember when a telephone did not require a 400 page instruction book???

There is something to be said for keeping things simple and user friendly - and not feeling the need to change something that is working until it is an incomprehensible unusable pile of garbage

ok - rant over - i think my meds are kicking in ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:15 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:14 pm
???? I just click on the new post option each time I come here to see what is new. I don't even pay attention to the icons your talking about.
The 'New Posts' link in the 'Quick Links' used to only bring up the last 6 or so hours, it seems to work longer now. They must have changed a setting. I hardly ever use the 'New Posts' link, because of that old setting.

I use the 'Unread Posts' in the 'Quick Links'. The only problem with that is you have to keep up on all the posts. There is the 'Mark all read' at the upper right of the list, but that will mark everything as if you have read it all already. It's O.K. to do that, if you are content to say "I don't need to look back any farther than This"... Click!

I've been keeping a copy of every picture that every Trog on here posts, so I kind-a need to see all posts. It's a habit at this point, so if the site ever dies I could potentially send DF a disc of all the pictures. The pictures really won't be tied to anything other than the poster's (Trog's) handle here on the Forum, so sorting would still be a problem them. :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

ForestZ
Orc
Orc

Post by ForestZ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Near as I can tell, a Circle with a Star means you've replied to it. It changes to Flames mean a topic is popular, although I'm unsure the difference between the flames and the scrolling text.

*edit*

Looking at the names of the icons actually helps.

Flames and Scrolling text are both "hot topics" (ie lots of posts), the difference seems to be that Flames are ones you've commented in, Scrolling Text are ones you haven't commented in. The circle actually denotes whether you've read the topic or not. Red circles seem to be unread, but blue circles only show up on non-hot topics that you've read (since read "hot" topics are just flames without circles).

Assuming *any* of that is true, it's still confusing as hell, lol. I'll admit I don't pay attention to the icons. I just use the quick links to show me all "New Posts" and just read the ones that seem interesting to me.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:14 pm

???? I just click on the new post option each time I come here to see what is new. I don't even pay attention to the icons your talking about.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:48 pm

What do they even mean? Is there a legend somewhere?

Rhizom
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Rhizom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:41 pm

I second that.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Too many forum thread icons!

Post by Law » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:38 pm

It's official: the icons accompanying forum threads are out of hand. ;)

We've got black circled page icons, red circled page icons, blue circled page icons, square icons, flame icons, red text, black text. OMG I can't imagine how anyone could need to know so many things about a thread before deciding whether or not to click on it.

We only need to know one thing: have new messages been posted since we were last here? Change it from black to red, from normal to bold, whatever. Anything else is just clutter and confusing to decode. Information overload. Just tell me if I've already read the thread. That's all. ;)