Consolidated Module Feedback

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Re: Consolidated Module Feedback

Post by nielsene » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:29 am

My group rushed through 7-12 in one session, surprising me. Though like your group their pushing the level limit (they were supposed to preserve their level 9 characters when we had to wait for the rest of the module, but most forgot, so we had level 11s. Flight trivialized the gorgon room.

Then the fight ran face first into the Gelatinous cube and things could have gone poorly. But they spent a lot of spells/daily stuff to get him out/through it.

The puzzles went so so... the time of day ones seemed misleading/wrong in some cases. But they spelling came easy. They did wonder about the blue versus grey letters, which is purely cosmetic. They didn't understand the need for two time related signs, at all.

(Need to run, will try to add more later)

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Just ran encounters 1-3 for my group tonight. I’m really loving the module so far, and I think my players are having a good time too.

I’ve had to adjust a little because my group of 5 is 11-12th level, so I eyeballed adding more monsters and increased DCs by 2 and trap damage by an extra die. Also my players are psychotic murder hobos to put it mildly.

4 hours was just about perfect for Encounters 1-3. I was afraid they would tear through the material faster and set out 1-6 (hiding the unexplored sections).

Encounter 1; I had the party members teleport in and removed the tunnel entrance (because I knew that some of my players would hang back and try to fight outside the dungeon). This worked well when the maeraghasts swarmed in. I went a little overboard and threw 6 warriors at them and 1 cleric, which was a little too much. Optimally I think 1 ghost per player would have been better (especially since they didn’t have a cleric or radiant weapons). Pack tactics really kicked in, I didn’t use the Howl ability as I thought it would be too devastating with so many ghosts, but I may try it later. The power of this encounter did set the tone that this was going to be a tough dungeon and to take it seriously.

One of my players thought the crossbow trap was an actual crossbow, and wasted time trying to dismantle it before I figured out that he was trying to claim it for his own use, I probably could have described it better, although he may not have been listening carefully. The same player tried to take all the weapons from the rack instead of just choosing 1 as instructed (Zaltars an illusion, right? He’s not going to stop me!). So I wound up telling him that the magic physically prevented him from taking more than 1 weapon.

Encounter 2 -I love the enchanted door! I played him with an accent like a New York doorman/bouncer/Dice Clay impersonator. “Ay, welcome to da Arcane Alcove... watch ya friggen step!” The players thought the riddle about using 3 legs was lame, but they don’t like puzzles that much. They did solve the first part on their own, but they couldn’t solve the Syssul part. In fairness they had never seen a picture of Syssul and couldn’t visualize a snake that walks on legs. I helped them a little with the second part after the rogue got beaten up a bit by the traps. They solved the medusa puzzle much better, Although they didn’t like the switch in the pit trap. I think it’s clever, but they thought it was too likely that someone would fall directly upon the spike switch and activate it. I pointed out that falling on the switch vertically would not activate it, but they still grumbled a bit.

Encounter 3 they seemed to enjoy this encounter a lot. They figured out how to use the Eldritch runes very quickly, and had no trouble with the concept of the pits. The concept of stuffing monster corpses into pits came very easily to my bloodthirsty players. Once my players realized the noble was really undead, one of them offered him a “healing potion” which was actually a vial of holy water...which took care of the noble. Like I said...Murder Hobos.

Next week Encounters 4-6!

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:48 pm

between the build guide blowout picture and the glamour shot in the module i got most of it. The grey alchemy symbols are particular hard to make out in all the shots ( and occluded in the glamour shot). B's and H's were also tough to make out. I think the sunrise/sunset we're flipped as well.

Solved the alchemy ones by just spot checking the solution to figure out what had to be where.

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:48 am

Is there a good close up view of the puzzle floor? I'm scrambling to put stickers on and can't tell what should be where for this puzzle?

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:15 am

Encounter 9's intro text is also wrong (referencing the Lever Chamber).

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Whoops left off the pic.
Attachments
71A69B57-9905-4042-AC26-0702389B81AE.jpeg
71A69B57-9905-4042-AC26-0702389B81AE.jpeg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 292 times

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:08 pm

Laid out Encounters 1-10 on my wife’s dining table to study the layout before I pack it up to take to my friend’s house (I use 7 litre Really Useful Boxes 1 for each encounter.

My tentative plan is to lay out just Encounters 1-3 first (hiding unexplored areas), then swap out for 4-6, then swap for 7, etc. but we will see. It does like look pretty cool all laid out though...

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Prepping the adventure for first time run with my group on Sunday. Will post feedback. Cant wait!

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm

The email announcing the module said:

"This is a playtest draft, which still needs a little editing, formatting, and a few finishing touches. And every draft could always use more proofing. We said we'd share something by Thanksgiving, so we wanted to get this into your hands as promised. So please bear in mind this is still a work-in-progress.

After the holiday, we’ll compile the full module into one big document, and give it a bunch of sprucing up. And get the full Pathfinder appendix in there. "

Further, they asked for feedback and comments.

You might send the comments directly to DF as they can be hit and miss on posts in the forums.

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Finally getting a chance to prep encounters 7+. Running some of them on Sunday.

The build guides for the larger encounters aren't quite as easy to follow as the ones for the smaller encounters. (Could still figure everything out, but definitely something to keep in mind when you make the Caverns Deep ones. Be willing to have multiple pages for build guide/details/blowout sections.

No One-page version for 7+? The spread versions look prettier but are harder for me to work with. Especially for the bound version I plan to print and hand-bind.

The every four glpyh long rest power seems to be misnamed/mis-stated. At 4/8/11 you get a "Quartet of the Long Rest" The first one references "this and three other" so Quartet makes sense. The other ones reference "this one and 7 other" so it should be Octet :) Or stays "Quartet" but each glpyh can only be used once for its quartet power, or something (This is purely a terminology complaint -- no impact on how often/able to use the power)

Skimmed through the later encounters and they give me the information I as a GM would have liked to have had up front (ie when roleplaying the first interaction with Zaltar).

I didn't see a revised PF conversion guide, so I'll re-convert all the monsters since the original conversion was off in high level play.