Consolidated Module Feedback

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Re: Consolidated Module Feedback

Post by nielsene » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Yes I know --- I've already run 1-12 once with higher level PF characters and it sorta ruined things.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:30 pm

There are only a few rooms where flying could matter: Acid Bath, Gauntlet, Gorgon Tiers, Puzzle Floors, Doomroller, Lava Bridge. So not really even half. Just make sure they can't fly all of the time so they have to choose when they need to use it.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Likely to be 4-6 players, tend to be a bit of mix-maxers when it comes to combat, but they tend to enjoy the RP/puzzle aspects more.

I'm more of a PF person, they're more of 5e. I've not been thrilled with the PF appendix/conversion for DoD, so I'm definitely happy to try running it in 5e. Basically just want to avoid the wizard/flight type options skipping half the puzzles....

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:16 pm

There are 3 different scales for the dungeon, so I'd say the sweet spot is starting at the lowest level for the tier you choose (though look out for the lever chamber, it can be a doozy with CR of the monsters).
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm

nielsene wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 am
Currently recruiting a group of friends to try a marathon running of it over the holidays. Any one have any feedback on what the sweet spot of APL is? (Assuming 5e this time rather than PF).
how big is the party? The standard 4ish characters or a larger group? (I am currently running a game that has 8 characters on the PC side (A couple of them are permanent NPCs on their strike team, filling roles that are sometimes not as much fun to play). Also magic level of your game? Do characters show up with all sorts of gear, or will MW weapons be as good as it gets.

Finally do your characters like solving problem and trap type things, or is their answer to those is get a bigger hammer?! I know I have some players who really only want to swing their weapon or cast their spell at the bad guy, while others would be happy to talk and negotiate if that seemed reasonable.

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 am

Currently recruiting a group of friends to try a marathon running of it over the holidays. Any one have any feedback on what the sweet spot of APL is? (Assuming 5e this time rather than PF).

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 pm

I ran Encounters 4-6 for my group last night. Only 3 of the 6 players showed (and the tank was absent) which is fine because it encouraged caution. It was interesting watching them mentally work through the puzzles,and they seemed to enjoy the high-quality handouts from the module. I had a little difficulty finding the puzzle solution for the elemental puzzle in Encounter 4, so I’d suggest possibly highlighting or putting this caption in some king of window box for the DM might help.

My players had a little trouble with the elemental puzzle, to the extent it required all 4elements placed at one time to work. When I run it again I think I will have the colored depression glow or something and lock in when they match the right susbstance with the right depression.

Encounter 5 they ignored the talkative gargoyle Pillars, and missed so,e possibly useful information, but hey I tried. I may have run the encounter with the manacles incorrectly but I couldn’t find any stats for the manacles, so i made it a construct on the fly. When I run it again, I’ll probably bump it up to make it more challenging. Same with the hound. At level 10+ even a warg doesn’t have a high life expectancy, but the Druid gently befriended it and sent it out of harms way.

I loved the Acid bath encounter. The players were impressed at how cool it looked, then began to curse me and accuse me of trying to kill them as the encounter unfolded. I self limited the encounter slightly by only having the pillars activate after a person reached the back half of the dungeon, and also limited their lines of attack, giving the players a chance to duck and cover while still scaring the crap out of them. Once they figured out they could target the serpent heads with ranged attacks, they were able to shut down the healing and baleful teleport rays and turn the tide.

They did not make it down the Gauntlet this game, but they found the trap handout in the Acid Bath, which may help next week.

They liked the magic items, and they are hard to please, so great job! I made the fire armor able to transform into either light, medium or heavy armor to give more options for different players to utilize it.

Can’t wait for Golem Walls next Sunday!!!

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:45 pm

My wife and I are spending a week with friends over the holiday who are gamers, but play other games, like Magic the Gathering, etc. I’m going to try to talk them into letting me run them through the first few encounters of the DOD starting with Level 1 characters.

It will be fun to play with people who aren’t power gamers for a change.

One of the great things about the DOD is the modularity, I already know that they don’t want to have a marathon 10 hour D@D session but we can hopefully play for a couple hours (Encounter 1) and stop and play something else, then come back and play again another day (Encounter 2-3). Etc.

I’m not going to pack up the whole DOD (due to space) but I’m going to try packing enough pieces to run through 1-13 without putting the whole thing out at once, just a few encounters at a time,

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:17 am

Yeah, the pre-published PF guide was generally ok -- skill checks had to be increased a bit more. The bigger problem was the custom/new monsters as the ACs at least were extremely too low to be interesting. Also the difference between bounded/unbounded accuracy meant that at the higher APLs just throw more level 5 creatures (the hardest Mareghasts) doesn't work the same way as it does in 5e.

My party prefers to use stoneshape or similar spells to solves lots of dungeon issues. I basically told them flat out you can't tunnel through rooms in this dungeon with it. They've used flight a lot with mixed success (trivialized Acid Bath, Gorgon Tiers, and Doomroller. They tried to use it in the guantlet, but ended up stuck in the nets that time.

Continually the tidbits from the playtrough:
Eldritch pools, felt bland. The party's RP of the eldtrich runes is starting to make things difficult (the various 'caretaker/similar ones' don't want to let others take risks. One of the more aggressive/greatness ones won't ever retreat. I still hadn't buffed the Mareghasts enough to be truly threatening, (even so I dropped on PC -- the one who wouldn't retreat... so they left him unconscious while the pulled him out to revive him after there were no enemies in sight.

Party was completely focused on attacking/destroying the obelisk physically rather than the skill checks. Including stoneshaping the base away so it fell down. I ruled it still summoned things :)

Menagerie went quick, party distrusted Ozaraine (sp) from the get go because of the stories so far from the glyphstones, but made some phenomal diplomacy checks and reasonable RP so Ozaraline is acting friendlier, but may still betray them. After freeing her, party cloud-killed all the monsters in the cages before triggering their release.

Doomroller went similar fast -- invisible flying caster. Didn't see (maybe I missed it) any invisiblity sight for Doomroller... It saw the glyph disappear and went barelling down, but the flyer manager to kite around and not get hit.

Dias of the dead: mainly came down to party arguing over who got to spill their own blood (not because they wanted the power/etc, but just because no one wanted to let others be hurt). I was about 5 seconds from having Ozaraline co-opt the ritual when the wizard jsut said, I'm doing it and stabbed himself multiple times. They released the spirits over Orzaeline's begging.

Basically. I really want to run this adventure again, with ~level 3-5 characters not 9-10-11s. Also with characters for whom this is the primary adventure rather than a side quest (they really want to get back to Kingmaker and finish it). They're loving the terrain and how everything fits together. They like the encounters, they dislike the overall story. (They don't like the everyone is evil; enemy of my enemy is my friend style vibe).

Wondering if I can find a group of people who want to play it over the holidays in a marathon-ish session

Pizzabagel
Orc
Orc

Post by Pizzabagel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 am

I’ve been rereading the earlier posts. I can see why Alphastream will have his hands full converting this adventure between 5th edition and Pathfinder. Pathfinder (and 3.5) has ridiculous power scaling the higher you go, especially with skill checks. 5th edition is much more balanced and the power level reduced (although it has its own challenges).

Using 5th edition with skill checks at 18-20, my group had a much harder time with autodetecting traps (and removing them). This kept them honest, and made the game more fun (although I almost had a mini mutiny on my hands, because they though the skill checks were too high). One of my players had juiced his passive perception to 19 which ordinarily would let him discover every thing possible. I appreciate the module varies the type of trap to require Investigation or Knowledge Arcana skill checks to discover magic traps which helped keep things interesting.

5th edition also limits flight, which is an enormous help for DMs. I’m bracing myself for another mutiny, because I have a player who is fond of summoning earth elementals to tear up and through dungeon walls. I’m planning on telling him that the magic of the dungeon blocks the earth elemental from passing through walls. I anticipate an argument that the Maerghasts are able to pass through the walls, so why couldn’t an elementa? I’ll probably say that the Maerghasts are connected to the magic infusing the dungeon (I’ve already set the stage with color descriptions - purple energy for the Maerghasts, Eldrid’s glyphs stones and Zaltars improvements, and green energy for Sysuuls original temple). Moreover the Maerghasts are summoned, and do not flow through the walls.

My players are smarter than me, so I have to try to stay a step ahead. Usually they are pretty good about just rolling with it and have fun, but they hate plot holes and inconsistency.