nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Consolidated Module Feedback

Post by nielsene » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

wallyjuice wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:43 pm
Thank you, everyone!
Definitely let us all know what you decide and how it plays out!

wallyjuice
Kobold
Kobold

Post by wallyjuice » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:43 pm

Thank you, everyone!

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:49 pm

We have been trying out the milestone scheme in my latest campaign. It helps to promote story lines,vs kill X for XP lines of thinking from what I have seen. It also frees up the DM from making all the calculations after (or in the middle of) a session to figure out how much EXP was actually earned that day. So far so good. There have been some pretty major spots of accomplishment in the campaign, where leveling the party up made a lot of thematic sense. So far I like it, and the players seem fine with it. We end up leveling them up every 2 or 3 sessions.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:41 pm

I also second milestones over XP leveling. The module lists level ranges for each tier. If you can't find good times where it makes sense for the PCs to level, then just break the module into parts for each level. However I will say that encounter 3 is a beast and is very difficult for level 1 characters.
104 Resin and 205 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Alphastream
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphastream » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm

wallyjuice wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am
Sooooo I've just been tapped by my group to DM a new campaign. Never done that before. Decided to use Dungeon of Doom to take the group from 1st level onward... My question is this... If they walk into Zaltar's Gameroom at 1st level, how often would the PCs level up, and what level would the be by the time they defeat Sysuul?
You can use the monster XP values to level, with some XP bonuses for traps. I personally like to level based on milestones (accomplishments and goals) based on larger campaign goals. I used Dungeon of Doom as part of a larger Tomb of Annihilation campaign, so I didn't want to level too quickly and outpace the overall campaign. They gained one level within the tomb and one upon completion. I chose to have the last "4 glyphstones can grant a long rest" offer them a choice: either a long rest or level up (but not regain any used HPs, features, spells, etc.) and they took leveling up.

If you like milestones, the Dais of the Dead is a great place to level up, infused by the powers of spirits.

If you are running this as a one-off shorter campaign, it can be fun to level them up several times. Maybe every 4 glyphstones in addition to the long rest. That could be a fun way for players to experience more levels.
Find my articles on running D&D at Alphastream.org
Find my D&D adventures on the DMs Guild!
On Twitter @Alphastream

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:24 am

wallyjuice wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am
Sooooo I've just been tapped by my group to DM a new campaign. Never done that before. Decided to use Dungeon of Doom to take the group from 1st level onward... My question is this... If they walk into Zaltar's Gameroom at 1st level, how often would the PCs level up, and what level would the be by the time they defeat Sysuul?
Turning the question around, what's been your usual pattern of leveling in your group? I think most of the reports we've seen so far are having seeing the dungeon take on the order of 20 hours playtime, give or tank 5. So this is as little as 3 sessions for quick groups with long sessions, or 5-6 sessions for slower groups. For most groups, I've seen that supports maybe 1-2 levels gained) (Leveling every other session is about as fast as I've seen in practice, every 3-4 sessions seems more common, but this is all anecdotal).

I think (but haven't played long enough campaigns in 5e) that the low levels are a little accelerated compared to previous editions.

The dungeon is definitely brutal at the low end of the three tiers (ie if you're level one using the 1-3 tier, or if you're level 4 in the 4-6 tier, etc).

If it fits your groups style I'd probably do something like
Enter the DoD at level 1
After one session, assuming you at least get through the Lever Room -> bump to level 2. (Probably a little/lot early, but rule of fun)
Between whatever session finishes the ~10th room: level to 3.

(This is for a group that is used to semi-frequent leveling)

If you're group is more used to slow leveling, I'd say maybe start at level 2 or 3 and just don't level at all.

wallyjuice
Kobold
Kobold

Post by wallyjuice » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

Alphastream
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphastream » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 am

Pizzabagel wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:45 pm
One of the great things about the DOD is the modularity, I already know that they don’t want to have a marathon 10 hour D@D session but we can hopefully play for a couple hours (Encounter 1) and stop and play something else, then come back and play again another day (Encounter 2-3). Etc.
From the design we wanted the rooms to feel cool even if you just purchased or wanted to run a couple of them. I use some of my favorite rooms as the main room in a small tomb/lair with just 2-3 rooms. Many of the DoD rooms work well as the "final temple room" in a dungeon complex of any size. Or, string 2-3 DoD rooms and summarize the narrative down so it can be resolved with the last room you use. Hopefully there is a lot in place to support and reward a full run, but also the flexibility to still have ideas and utility for smaller runs. Has anyone tried running just a small subset with a simpler plot, or their own custom plot added to a few DoD rooms?
On Twitter @Alphastream

Alphastream
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Alphastream » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:01 am

Pizzabagel wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 am
I’ve been rereading the earlier posts. I can see why Alphastream will have his hands full converting this adventure between 5th edition and Pathfinder.
It wasn't me that did the conversion. I did the 5E stats and most of the writing, with the initial narrative from Nate and then continuous back-and-forth brainstorming and development with Nate. A separate hero did the Pathfinder conversion, and I am not envious of that work! :-)
On Twitter @Alphastream

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:15 pm

nielsene wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:15 pm
Oh also, you'll (DF) probably want to post some web-page with a semi-standard copyright release? allowance? I forget the right term, to allow people to have a chance of success at having their copy printed at professional printing shops. Many shops are likely to still reject it, liability is just too great, and the document is so polished/large.
This may not help with printshops - employees are following policies they don't understand - but copying a legally bought game module for your own use is completely legal. Its not only Fair Use, its probably pasrt of the purchase price. But having DwF post something on the website we could refer to would avoid all that.Great idea!.

The Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod