Builds for hiding a Fog Monster?

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Builds for hiding a Fog Monster?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 am

Nice one :)

Light changing LED is very effective and on a game board the fog will look fabulous - the light coloured background makes the fog a little more difficult to see.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:15 am

Here's the 'leaky' tower ready for today's session:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8qdnAtWCtQWoJtXR8

Note in an ideal world, I would have had two FM. One inside a larger version of this tower, pumping fog into the DoD. And one outside, pumping into the tower surrounding the first FM. Still for setting the ambiance and then moving the FM's tubes around this will work.

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Tried a four story 4" tower build, with the FM on elevation blocks. Ground floor was solid walls/door. All the upper floors were arrow slits (aside from the top story that has a quarter open for the FM tube to enter. A nice amount of fog pours out of the second and third floor arrow slits. Dropped the sorcerous orb (color changing one) in the first floor for a nice effect. No good photos/videos as the table is a mess with stuff getting setup for running DoD tomorrow. Should definitely be good for setting the stage....

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm

nielsene wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:17 am
Haven't had a chance to play with hiding the FM yet, but I think I'll have time tonight. Just starting to have some second thoughts -- how safe is it to have the fog blowing all around the LED pieces? Is there a risk of condensation causing a short/battery explosion?

I know the Origin stream had fog + LED elements, but.....
Seen a lot of builds combining LEDs and fogmonsters, whilst water and elexricals dont mix well and we don't recommend prolonged use.
We believe that they will work fine but LED pieces (and probably all Dwarvenite) should be left to dry before storing away.

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:03 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm
One would think everyone would build all gaming accessories to work seamlessly with DF. It jsut makes sense, right? :evil:
Even DF doesn't do that... KS1/KS2 vs KS3/KS4 :(

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:33 am

Had reasonable success with stacks of 1/2" small round tiles on the three table facing sides of the FM. All on top of a 8x8 castle courtyard base. Use the base to rather easily slide the ensemble around the table, since at least in the conditions of my game room -- temperature/humidity,etc, the FM really only fills one encounter of the DoD, even with doors open.

Tried covering parts of the dungeon to see if that would help encourage spreading, but that didn't seem to work (likely because my coverings are slightly absorbent. Ie it would have been great to have the fogentering from the end of the Gauntlet and basically spreading through 2-6 (I don't want fog in encounter 1). Since basically then as I reveal areas, in order, the conquered areas would stay smoke free, generally, without having to move the generator around.

Wasn't my original plan, but if my second FM arrives in time I will likely try to have one pump fog into the enclosure of the second. Which I think is what Rabbit Burner was alluding to with how to make the haunted tower hiding the first FM ooze smoke as well. Which would be amazing for my current theme.

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Post by nielsene » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:17 am

Haven't had a chance to play with hiding the FM yet, but I think I'll have time tonight. Just starting to have some second thoughts -- how safe is it to have the fog blowing all around the LED pieces? Is there a risk of condensation causing a short/battery explosion?

I know the Origin stream had fog + LED elements, but.....

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:10 am

dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm
One would think everyone would build all gaming accessories to work seamlessly with DF. It jsut makes sense, right? :evil:
so simple its genius - perhaps we need a Tabletop Terrain Standards Agency ?

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 pm

You could expand your round tower with straight bits ;)

Using 3/4 curves with castle walls in between - effectively curving the corners of a square tower - using a little poetic license with the round tower description.

This should expand the area inside to cater for the fogmonster.

Regardless of how you do it, getting fog oozing out of curved windows or arrow slits will look sooo cooool. We would love to see some pictures ;)

Think if you try to use either advanced builder 1 inch square walls or normal 2 inch square tower walls you will have issues with floors etc.