HELP! I'm New to Dwarven Forge. WHERE DO I BEGIN?

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 6 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: HELP! I'm New to Dwarven Forge. WHERE DO I BEGIN?

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:27 am

Q: how large of a footprint does the full encounter have?
A: 2 foot x 1.5 foot area. 18 in x 24 in

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am

Q: In your pledge calculator, are the prices in USD?
A: yes, prices are always in US Dollars.

-----

Q: so after having seen the Underdoom reveal, I'm wondering how you all plan on handling things going into the pledge manager. It's clear there's a ton of excitement for everything you're putting out there, but due to the modularity of the add-ons, it's really impossible for most backers to commit to a pledge until everything has been revealed (and more importantly, priced out). I guess my question/concern is, will you all be sure that all add-ons are priced out with at least a few weeks left in the campaign to give people time to run the numbers and commit before the pledge manager? There will no doubt be a lot of tweaking after the campaign, but if people aren't given ample time to consider their options, I'm afraid that a lot of these stretch goals may go unfulfilled because the funds may have to be added after the fact.

A: as a general rule, we try to have all the options revealed and priced before the final 48 hours of the campaign, so that everyone will have time to firm up their final decisions. (We try not to shotgun everyone with all the offers at the start, partly because what we can offer does depend in part on funding-- which is why it helps if people pledge at least part of their budget before the final few days!-- partly because it keep the campaign interesting as it goes along, and partly because we don't want worthy options to get lost in the shuffle if they appear among too many other things.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:04 am

Q: Questions from a complete newbie to DF (Got a basic cavern set and cavern assortment on Ebay out of desperation last week to try it out before the KS launched):

How would you veterans go about building a collection with this Kickstarter vs older sets in the store? I don't know how often the store is restocked, and if it's once a year or some other seemingly endless length of time I may go crazy with my two tiny sets. Any recommendations for sets to pick up when the restock hits? I desperately want to expand my collection as soon as possible, and I know a restock of some of the (many) sets I lack is pending.

That said, this kickstarter is so impressive I would hate to miss out on getting as much as I can at the best price. I'm currently in for Adventure Essentials 1-11 and sets 12-14, but am wondering if I should
a) focus on building up one paint scheme of terrain for underground adventures rather than the Underdoom, and
b) funnel some of that money towards purchases of items after the restock.

With the forest reveal coming I'm afraid I'm being pulled in so many excellent directions that I'm suffering from overchoice. If this should be asked on the forum instead I can redirect it there. I just need some guidance.

A: Geekjeff: welcome to the family/addiction! ;]

Great you have a couple of KS2 Cavern sets in hand, you can see the quality and get an idea of how things work together. I would definitely pickup a Floor Pack when those restock (I think unpainted is available now, but painted is sold out.) Things do sometimes dell out quickly, but we are getting better about doing multiple smaller restocks per year.

A: backer DW: KS is the cheapest any of these pieces will be. Focus on fancier pieces that really set your heart going but that can double as ordinary terrain (passages, entrance riser, crystals, whatever).

Wait for restocks on the basic packs in the webstore. They're the most efficient per dollar and will be the most used in building. Don't underestimate how many floors you will need, and COUNT CORNERS. Its easy to end up with lots of fancy walls and not enough corners.

Also doors. Many doors.

A: backer Rabbit: the following Forum threads might help - in fact I encourage you to join the forums.

Yes you can ask 8 forum denizens a question about these sets and get 13 answers. Partially because there are many ways to build a pledge, and almost all of them are perfectly valid. Just a matter of preference.

Strategies for Newbies
https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/vie ... 62&t=9334

Confused - Hard to Understand
https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/vie ... 62&t=9463

New Buyers Strategies
https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/vie ... 62&t=9450

Adventure Essentials Pledges
https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/vie ... 3#p137383

Hope there is something useful for the Codex - but like a lot of the threads its DooFer opinions and advice as most questions don't have black and white answers.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:35 pm

ADVICE: by Backer DW

If you're a new buyer, my best piece of advise is: be very very truthful with yourself.

A) How big is your table? Don't buy more "bread and butter" than would fit anyway.
B) How much do you get done in a sitting? (alternatively: DF is for bosses and important fights)
C) Can you leave pieces out between sessions? Big builds are fun to imagine, not so fun to clean up.
Pay real attention to the answers. Be honest. Prioritize basic pieces you will use over and over (walls, corners, doors...).

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Q: So this is my first Kickstarter. When do we get to adjust pledge amounts and pick and grab things? I backed for the essentials 1-11...and this new cavern starter pack just came out. Will I be able to add that on as a “add-on”? A little confused about the add-one and fun I should be doing that now...will there be a shop and like shopping cart option or a spread sheet to fill out?

A: There are basically two different periods in a KS where you can pledge money. The first is during the actual KS which is now until August 14th. You look at all the cool stuff and figure out how much you are going to spend and that is your pledge amount. At the end of the KS on August 14th, your credit card will be charged for the amount you have pledged.

***THEN***

About two weeks later the Pledge Manager will open. You will be given access to the Pledge Manager and it is in the Pledge Manager that you make your actual item selections so Dwarven Forge knows exactly what items you are buying. The nice thing is that you can add on to your pledge at that point too. I always end up buying more things in the Pledge Manager. The Pledge Manager usually stays open for about a month

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Q: If you could only buy one of the core packs, which core pack would you get? Assume you'd have money left over for a few add-ons.

Backer Answers (from the comments):

1. Erika - I plan on getting core sets 2 and 6. They seem to have a great variety of new parts for the price.

2. Zoroaster - I think if I was to get only one encounter I'd get the Hag's Den.

3. With the current list of coming add ons and everything we’ve seen, I’m considering getting Encounter 7. Comes with some of the rising elevations, the double door (without the door part), the curved natural bridge base, the new 6x6 floor, plus the new passages. Is it just me or does this pack basically have all the new bits? Sure $492 isn’t cheap, but it also comes with the new mushrooms and LED Wall. Seems like the best encounter to buy in the new Cavern set from my point of view.

4. Dice4hire - I am looking at mushroom core vs Hag core vs Universal 1-6. All three are about 200 bucks unpainted and have very similar pieces. Quite interesting
Last edited by JenneyOC on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:18 am

Also, please remind newcomers that this is not going to be a perfectly-polished, wildly punctual, or casually understandable Kickstarter project.

This is more like a live show. Like a rock concert. Or rather more like a power metal show.

It's a little organic. Some bits are improvisational. There will be some over the top moments and child-like antics. Some things will probably be confusing, or frustrating, or even infuriating to watch. And it won't be 100% predictable.

But it WILL be entertaining.

And by the end of it, you won't regret you time spent with this passionate, brilliant community, discussing your hopes and dreams for the journey ahead.

So cozy up to your screens. Because we're going to pitch you guys on our crazy vision. And then take you along on the ride while we try and make it tangible.

And with your support we WILL make it tangible.

Then, we'll work very hard to deliver something that's even better than what we promised.

Our quest -- that when our pieces land on your table (or on your floor with your kids) they will bring you joy and enhance whatever collaborative fun you are having.

And hopefully it will also bring you a little extra satisfaction to know that you were part of making this thing come to life.

Thanks for joining in the adventure.

We couldn't do it without you.

You're in the Dwarven Army now. Better arm yourself for battle because a deadly horde of wallet doom is headed
your way!

-Nate, Beanslayer of Valoria

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Have you seen the overview video of the campaign? You can watch it here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOABLkPyzbs

Google Images of Each Encounter in Hi Res
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Qip ... kakxxa1Zn

Google Images of Each Pledge Level in Hi Res
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Qip ... Mk9QTTln

Google Images of Each Adventure Pack in Hi Res
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Qip ... ybTFveVdB

Google Images of Alternate Builds in Hi Res
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Qip ... iMk9QTTln

Our Video Play List
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list= ... at2yJbCiw

-----

Q: So is it better to do Cavern Entrance + add ons, and Adventure Packs? Or would it be smarter to get say, 1-3 and Adventure packs?

A: 1-3 is a great jumping off point for you to pick up all the flair that you want. Depends on how many caverns you already have. So that makes 1-3 a great jumping off point.

-----

Q: I have a ton of KS2. What pieces should I focus on to get my money’s worth without missing out on the coolness? I want to get the proper number of KS6 core pieces to enable my Caverns sets to be all used but have plenty of KS6 variation, so no two look even remotely alike.

A: The usual incredible spreadsheet masters are already working on creating new sheets to help you plan your pledges. My personal belief for creating flexibility in your KS2 builds, is to get at least 2 of the new bread and butter pieces. If you can afford it, that is. Throwing in one or two new pieces into each room/passage will give your build a more organic feel, without breaking the bank. With what's left snag some special packs. The things that are the most exciting to you. You've got time to choose... take it. :D

-----

Q: Why are there SO MANY ADD-ONS - a video
A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjc6dx ... s&index=4

-----

Here is a backer made video on pledging...
https://youtu.be/syAFFw-iNfQ

------------------------------------------
For KS5 Dungeon of DOOM:
A PDF walkthrough of general product features for NEW BACKERS can be found here:
https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/pages/dw ... ers-guide
Last edited by JenneyOC on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Q: how exactly do i make sure you guys know what i am pledging to buy? the kickstarter is very vague.

A: Jay:

I. When the campaign is over, Kickstarter will charge you for your pledge. Kickstarter takes their commission and then they send the remaining funds to us. They tell us: A) your e-mail (the one you use with KS); B) your main pledge level; and, C) your pledge total. It's then up to us to collect all remaining information. We do that with our online pledge manager.

II. About 4-6 weeks after the campaign closes, you will receive an e-mail invitation to this pledge manager. It will be pre-loaded with your main pledge and your total pledge amount. You'll then just type in your name and shipping details, and reconfirm your set choices from our online menu, which will be a much enhanced version of the pledge calculator. Once you're done, you can download a copy of your order, or even upgrade your selections (subject to availability). (If you didn't include shipping/import fees with your pledge, the pledge manager will also collect them.)

III. This will be our 6th pledge manager, so please don't worry -- this part is easy and fun. Any questions at that time, we are absolutely available to help!
Last edited by JenneyOC on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

HELP! I'm New to Dwarven Forge. WHERE DO I BEGIN?

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi and welcome to Cavern's Deep.

New backers guide
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X2Jch ... fCyK/view

HOW TO PLEDGE

You’ll see photos of the Encounters followed by photos of the pledge levels further below. But first, let's just lay out the basics of making a pledge:

1) If you decide to pledge, the first thing you'll want to do is select a Main Pledge level. These are the pledges shown down the right-hand column of the page.

2) Once you select your Main Pledge, you can add -- if you want -- any other set(s) you see on this Kickstarter, as long as it has a price listed on our Google Sheet or our Pledge Calculator (that means it's unlocked). These include anything from small add-on sets, to full Encounters -- or even another Main Pledge level.

3) To pledge, click on the pledge level you want, then enter the total cost (including shipping/taxes) of your Main Pledge + any additional set(s) you want, and press "continue," then "pledge". You can modify your pledge as many times as you want until the campaign ends on August 14th.

CHOOSING YOUR PLEDGE LEVEL

We offer 4 different types of Main Pledges:

I. Starter Pledges

These will give you a great start on building your cavern. These include Cavern Starter and Cavern Entrance.

II. Build Your Own

Select Build Your Own Cavern to order your own choice of set(s) à la carte. You can use our Pledge Calculator or our Google Spreadsheet to add up the total of the sets you want.

III. Adventure Essentials

The Caverns Deep pieces are detailed, feature-filled and more costly to produce than most of our previous pieces. With that in mind, Nate assembled Adventure Essentials 1-3, 1-6, 1-9 and 1-11 from subsets of the first 11 Encounters to provide a maximum variety and utility for the least cost.

The goal: cherry pick all the key Adventure pieces that define each Encounter, and provide a Universal set of Core pieces so you can build each Encounter you pledge for -- just not all of them at the same time. These pledge levels reflect our recommendation for maximizing the versatility and efficiency of your pledge.

Adventure Essentials 1-3 contains:

-3 Adventure packs with all the Adventure pieces from Encounters 1-3.
-Universal Core Set 1-3.
-4 Add-on packs that are part of Encounters 1-3

You can build Encounters 1-3, but not all at the same time.

Adventure Essentials 1-6 contains:

-6 Adventure packs with all the Adventure pieces from Encounters 1-6.
-Universal Core Set 1-3 and 4-6.
-8 Add-on packs that are part of Encounters 1-6.

You can build Encounters 1-6, but not all at the same time.

Adventure Essentials 1-9 contains:

9 Adventure packs with all the Adventure pieces from Encounters 1-9.
Universal Core Set 1-3; 4-6; 7-9.
18 Add-on packs (this includes 2X of 2 sets) that are part of Encounters 1-9.

You can build Encounters 1-9, but not all at the same time.

Adventure Essentials 1-11 contains:

11 Adventure packs with all the Adventure pieces from Encounters 1-11.
Universal Core Set 1-3; 4-6; 7-9; 10-11.
25 Add-on packs (this includes 2X of 3 sets) that are part of Encounters 1-11.

You can build Encounters 1-11, but not all at the same time.

IV. WHOLE ENCOUNTER BUNDLES

These are bundles that include every single piece shown from various Encounters. Right now, the only pledge in this category is Uncharted Underground. It includes all the pieces included in Encounter 12/Ice Cavern, Encounter 13/Crystal Cavern and Encounter 14/The Underdoom. (This pledge does not include Encounters 1-11.)

One final note on the main pledges: Except for Build Your Own Cavern, each Main Pledge offers a discount off the à la carte price for its components. (The percentage of the discount actually goes up as the pledges get larger.)

And now, full Encounters 1-12 (the others will be revealed soon...) Again, any of these can be ordered as an Add-on set.
Last edited by JenneyOC on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.