Dwarvenite vs Resin

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Dwarvenite vs Resin

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 am

Always worth asking the question :)

We trust DF to do what is best for them to provide terrain that is best for us :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

marcoreds
Orc
Orc

Post by marcoreds » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:12 am

Of course.

I wasn't asking for something for myself, I was wondering if alternative production methods could be better FOR DF, since the numbers of each piece is lower than it was...

But hey, I am happy with dwarvenite, if it works fine for DF, all the better!

blancm
Goblin
Goblin

Post by blancm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:48 am

marcoreds wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:56 pm
You keep reading "I want it cheaper" when that's not my point.
At all.

I don't think this would make pieces cheaper.

I am wondering if it would make it more sustainable to the current DF organization and planning.

To say something stupid: let's say the KS ends today. All would be fine?
I think DF would have to cancel the KS of go bankrupt in trying to fulfill it, because even if every single backer gets 1 copy of every single piece produced, the molds would cost more than what they have gathered until now.

But well, maybe I am mistaken, let's forget about this.
Well, I think I get your point but I believe people are getting hung up on the word "resin". Another way to put it might be: Since the original model of low variety / high piece count has changed to high variety / moderate piece count (the popular large sets have decent numbers of basic pieces in them) should they look into alternative production methods? That's a valid question and I would hope that they periodically evaluate everything but I see it as a question that could only be answered by an insider.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:53 am

With "bendier" resin (I.E. higher elasticity and greater plasticity it sounds like) it will hold detail less reliably. Also, most resins are heavier than PVC in the same volume. Shipping costs are only rising. Resin is more labor intensive regardless of which kind you use. Chinese labor has been rising in cost pretty steadily for a bit now. It has actually even caused some manufacturing industries to become more feasible in the USA since cost benefits to Chinese production have shrunk (the difference hasn't been enough for many industries, but it has for a few).

Resin isn't just more labor intensive. It is highly sensitive to temperature and humidity which can alter pot time, cure time, and to a lesser extent the actual properties of the finished product. Resin can also actually tear away portions of the mold depending on how well the mold release is applied. It is highly unlikely that perfect application will happen often in industrial level production. This means detail will decrease unless molds are remade frequently for high production runs.

Resin can be great for a home hobbyist or lower production runs. The only company I have seen do large scale production with it comparable to the quantities DF does lately ran into a lot of trouble with mold failures and put so much time into the work that if all the folks involved were paid hourly they probably would have gone bankrupt half-way through. Their production was all in house and from what they told me and publicly discussed it sounds like it was rough.

biowizard
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by biowizard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Welcome to the DF forum Pierron.

It is great to see interest in resin sets. I own both and I love both for different reasons. Resin sets are still being produced from time to time although at a very slow pace. DF being an artistry-driven company, I think separating the two products could be potentially harmful as Dwarvenite/PVC is clearly more profitable and could be used (is being used?) to sustain some resin production.

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Oldent » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:51 pm

Talistran wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 pm
Oldent wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:39 pm
marcoreds wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:16 pm
@Oldent: I understand what you say.

The conclusion should be: let's use dwarvenite because it is cheaper.

Well, yes and no. It is if you use those indestructible molds to make hundreds of thousand of pieces.
For a few thousands, I am not so sure that, all included, it is. It doesn't seem so in the current KS.

I don't think that using some kind of resin instead of dwarvenite would give us a cheaper product.
I think they would be about the same.
Just without the super investment in steel molds needed, that in turn require super-big KSs to fund them.
I am old enough to remember when a coke was$.05. I took one of my friends to lunch today. It was $50. The point is we are not really spending a lot. Resin won't really cut cost as much as moving out of New York.
You paid $50 for a coke?!?!?
:D lunch was $50 a coke was $2.50 A coke is $5 at the movies :lol:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Talistran
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Talistran » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 pm

Oldent wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:39 pm
marcoreds wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:16 pm
@Oldent: I understand what you say.

The conclusion should be: let's use dwarvenite because it is cheaper.

Well, yes and no. It is if you use those indestructible molds to make hundreds of thousand of pieces.
For a few thousands, I am not so sure that, all included, it is. It doesn't seem so in the current KS.

I don't think that using some kind of resin instead of dwarvenite would give us a cheaper product.
I think they would be about the same.
Just without the super investment in steel molds needed, that in turn require super-big KSs to fund them.
I am old enough to remember when a coke was$.05. I took one of my friends to lunch today. It was $50. The point is we are not really spending a lot. Resin won't really cut cost as much as moving out of New York.
You paid $50 for a coke?!?!?

pierron

Post by pierron » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Periodically, every 6 months, I connect on the website, to buy Resin set.
Each time, there is nothing to sell.

So I think, the best thing would be, the company separates in 2 independant parts.
Like this, the new company or part can work better for those who prefer resin, and don't interfere
on the other part.

The 2 parts can continue at the beginning to synchronise and use common part,
but after time can grow separately.
If after some years the new part don't grow, back to the ancient organization.

3D printer with colors arrives at low cost, so heavy and high quality resin can resist, dwarvenite maybe not.

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 pm

I am glad DF has made both Resin & Dwarvenite environments. My resin collection is beautiful, heavy, expensive, and takes up an inordinate amount of storage space. My Dwarvenite collection is also beautiful (though less detailed) kinda heavy, and OH SO EASY to store! And best of all, my son can play with the Dwarvenite pieces without a worry on my part. The invention of Dwarvenite has allowed Dwarven Forge to get 3d gaming terrain into the hands of many, many more people than they ever would have if they had stuck with just resin. That fact alone is enough to celebrate Dwarvenite for. It use to take a VERY long time to get a restock of anything back in the resin only days, and new sets were crafted and released so very slowly. Now, with Dwarvenite, look at the explosion of different environments over just the last 6 years - it's remarkable!

I love love love my resin sets (and would never part with them), but I am a full on Dwarvenite convert now. :D

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 am

Despite having picked up some resin sets this year just for how beautiful they are, I for one am incredibly grateful that DF are primarily working in Dwarvenite now and I would not want them to go back even if resin was cheaper. There is no comparison in utility for me. I took some of my DF to SDCC, and the eight pieces of a resin set required more packing and care than a gigantic sack of seven Dwarvenite environments. I've got a castle out on my coffee table that has been completely demolished by kids a dozen times; it takes me ten minutes to throw it back together none the worse for wear.

Whenever I play with the resin sets, I invariably feel a bit anxious. I repress the sensation because I believe in playing with my toys even if that means they get broken, but I can't help feeling it. I have no anxiety whatsoever with Dwarvenite. The detail being added in the DoD (omg I just got the unpainted Shrine of Sysuul sets I ordered, and they are unbelievably gorgeous) and here in CD is taking Dwarvenite to the beauty level of resin with the resilience and wonderful hand-feel of Dwarvenite.