ADVENTURE ESSENTIALS

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 6 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: ADVENTURE ESSENTIALS

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 am

Post on the forum:

"How to build encounters 1-11 with the underdoom"
https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=10

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:17 am

Q: the Universal Core Packs provided in this pledge removes redundant pieces so is that also true for the Adventure Packs? Specifically, Encounter 3 and 4 both include the Rising Elevation pieces, do you only get one set of that with the Essentials?

A: you should get both in that instance. Each box on the graphic represents a physical box when they're shipped. We wouldn't have one set of Adventure Packs 3 & 4 for standalone Encounter purchases, and a different one for Essentials pledges. That would defeat part of the purpose of this organization system, which is making production management easier for the factory.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:38 pm

an insightful comment by Backer Szabbran:

The Adventure Essentials 1-9 seems like such a good tipping point. It allows you to build out 1-3 or 8-9 simultaneously, both of which give some pretty decent table coverage. And I feel like with those built it'd also be easy-ish to replicate the Cave of Ruins or Mushroom grotto using a handful of KS2 pieces. That might be where I sit at the moment, I'd have to do some serious spreadsheet digging to see if 1-11 gets me any closer to what I want at reasonable cost.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Q: With a basis for Dungeon Essentials 1-11 pledge, what Core pack(s) or others do you think would be good add-ons in order to do an additional say 1-2 simultaneous encounter builds on top of the combos already shown? Since the essentials has all the bling, I would think it would just be one or two of the Core options. Opinions? Not looking for exact count btw, just an idea from the DF KS vets or DF crew. Thx

A: (Backer Eric N) From memory of my exploration last night, trying to achieve any three contiguous sets: Essentials 1-11, plus core packs 4,5,8,11 and an extra LED door gets very close. (See also UPDATE below)

(Here's my post on the DF Forums, showing what parts are missing for 3-in-a-row using only Adventure Essentials 1-11: https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/vie ... 0#p137269

As you see the lower level encounters you can typically get my with some extra-core-ish pieces. With the later encounters you start needing pieces that are harder to come by in (currently) efficient ways. My sad realization is that most of the missing pieces are not ks2 analogues so I can't just swap in missing walls/floors/corners to solve most of them.

The other experiment I want to try soon is something like Adventure Essentials 1-9 + Full 10 and 11. This might be easier to combo into my 3-at-a-time approach.

UPDATE:
I did some more playing with my sliding window of three encounters calculations. Adventure Essentials 1-9, + Full 10 + Full 11, is almost perfect (and significantly cheaper than Essentials 1-11, plus all the add-ons I was trying) Just need an extra passage ramp and intersection and I think everything else is ks2 close enough.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:33 pm

Q: What is the difference in buying the Universal Pieces 1-3 and buying the Core Sets for encounters 1-3? I'd like to have enough to create a cool cavern of various size and looks ( to my budgets extent of course)? Thanks.

A: the combination of Core Sets is going to have significantly more pieces, and be more expensive.
The Universal Pieces packs which come from the Essentials pledges are designed to trim pieces which are redundant for those exact Encounter builds as much as possible, to keep the price down as much as possible.
If you're just starting a Caverns collection and need to "bulk up" on the building blocks, the Core Packs are probably what you want to focus on. Those and the Basic Builder and Advanced Builder addons Nate mentioned in the last livestream are what will make up the foundation of a Caverns collection.

-----

Q: Adventure Essentials 1-3 is not enough to build the first 3 areas simultaneously. Question is what would I need to add to build the first 3 areas at the same time in addition to Adventure Essentials 1-3?

A: The best way to build all three simultaneously would be to choose the Cavern Entrance pledge level and add-on encounters 2 and 3. The essential pledge levels are intended for individuals who want some but not tons of those bread/butter pieces. They are intended for the DM who builds small and doesn't need or want all three built simultaneous.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 pm

Q: How should i adjust my pledge if i wish to purchase encounters 1-3, not the "adventure essentials 1-3" pack?... i don't want 1 core set i want everything in 1-3 so i can build them all at once and put them on a table.

A: Cavern entrance plus encounter 2 and 3. Add up the total of all three then check the shipping prices for all three. You can find them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

-----

Q: Why are there SO MANY ADD-ONS - a video
A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjc6dx ... s&index=4

-----

Q: Will there be an essentials + 12-15 after the reveal?
A: Encounter 12-15 do not have any interchangeable core pieces, so no there will not be an essentials set for them. You'll be able to buy the smaller packs that make up those encounters, but there won't be a any Universal packs because there can't be.

-----

Q: Should I be concerned the Dwarven Forge offices are almost always on fire and has smoke everywhere? Will that set back production?
A: natural side effect of the infernal contacts necessary to craft the World’s Finest Dungeon Terrain. Nothing to see here, carry on! Also, don’t breathe too much of that smoke.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

ADVENTURE ESSENTIALS

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Question: If, for example, we looked at the Adventure Essentials 11 pledge...do the vertical gold chains divide the different build options that we can make at time. For example, I could build encounters 1-3 OR JUST encounter 7 but not both at the same time. Am I interpreting that correctly?

A: we’ll have more build pics for the Essentials pledges coming soon. It’s not totally clear from those pics, I agree. Something to consider though - since you have the “Universal 1-3, 4-6, 7-9” etc Packs included there and all the Adventure Packs and other addon packs included, you should be able to make at least one Encounter from each grouping concurrently.

Depending on which you choose and what pieces are left over, you can possibly make even more than that concurrently. But there’s a starting point for planning.

1. Adventure Essentials 1-3 can build the following: (each line is a single build session)

-Encounter 1
-Encounter 2
-Encounter 3

2. Adventure Essentials 1-6 can build the following: (each line is a single build session)

-Encounter 1
-Encounter 2
-Encounter 3
-Encounter 4
-Encounter 5
-Encounter 6

3. Adventure Essentials 1-9 can build the following: (each line is a single build session)

-Encounters 1-3 at the same time.
-Encounter 4
-Encounter 5
-Encounter 6
-Encounter 7
-Encounters 8+9 at the same time

4. Adventure Essentials 1-11 (each line is a single build session)

-Encounters 1-3 at the same time.
-Encounter 4
-Encounters 5+6 at the same time
-Encounter 7
-Encounters 8+9 at the same time
-Encounter 10
-Encounter 11

we know that most players only build a few encounters at a time, not the entire Cavern Deep or entire Dungeon of Doom, we tried very hard to use that in guiding our pledge builds to give you the most of the 'unique fun adventure' type pieces while still providing the bread and butter that allows for the builds.

Uncharted Underground includes just the three massive encounters 12-14, in their entirety. Whereas Adventure Essentials 1-11 contains one or more of everything from encounters 1-11, enough to build any one of those encounters at once-- in many cases multiples, depending on which ones, since they vary in size-- or to improvise innumerable huge, unique dungeons with a giant amount of cool flavor pieces (minis, bridge, boat, summoning circle, shrine, etc.etc.) to give a unique feel to each area. I would recommend Adventure Essentials as an awesome start to a Caverns collection.
Last edited by JenneyOC on Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.