Adventure Packs / Add-On Packs

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 6 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Adventure Packs / Add-On Packs

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:29 am

Q: How does the scatter terrain work?

A: for Wargamers or anyone using wilderness mats for RPGs - since it’s not clear from the work in progress sculpts yet, 2 Forest Scatter Packs and one of each Tree pack will give you 6 trees (2 large and 4 small) with highly sculpted, freestanding bases which can be placed on anything.

-----

Forum thread of interest:

How to build encounters 1-11 with the underdoom
https://dwarvenforge.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=10

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Q: Is DF intending to sell these individual "Adventure Pack" boxes in the store after the KS, or only the full Encounters? I love the purchase-by-individual-box scheme for this KS. However, my budget will not allow me to buy all the caverns I want during the KS. I am thinking about passing on most of the Adventure Packs now, and mostly buying Core sets. But I'd want to be able to buy the Adventure Packs next year.

A: Yes, although stock may be limited

-----

Q: The Adventure pack that includes the Stairway to violence is $54 but the newly released Stairway to violence is $58 and doesn't include the hidden wall or the torches... what's up with that?

A: the stairway has 2 parts.. the first pack you mention has the top part only..

-----

Q: can anyone see a way to get 1/2 doz or so large Cave trifecta walls? there is two in webbed lair..

A: backer: Not easily. The trifecta pack has two also, but no price yet I think. Most sets have only one. If you only want the wall the Cave Pool one has a wall sans floor.

A: backer: smugglers has 3... and lots'o trays..

-----

Q: Which format packs are MOST LIKELY to be kept in stock, vs. which format packs are LEAST LIKELY to be kept in stock?
- Encounter Packs
- Adventure Packs
- Core Packs
- Universal Packs
- Add-on Packs

A: I don't think we can really answer that yet, it depends on demand.
Hopefully this new set structure makes it easier to keep more things in stock - I think physically smaller and less expensive packs make it easier on the warehouse side.

-----

Q: Is it correct that the mountain elevation blocks are not identical to the KS2 elevation blocks (from the elevation pack)?

A: yes, the block from Erinthor are a different sculpt which matches the rock style (and outdoor dimensions) of the Mountain set.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:32 am

Q: Any word if the Encounter 8 Stalagmite pack will be available separately and what its price may be?

A: The Stalagmite Pack is available separately. It's $40 / $28. Look in MISC ADD-ON SETS GRAPHICS on the front page

-----

Q: Hey DF! I love what you did with the ice cavern set: beautiful, organic. I wonder though if the choice of pieces included in encounter 12 is not too much oriented toward exclusively making builds using the negative space strategy, over terrain trays. A solution to complete the general usefulness of pieces included in Core Pack Enc 12 would be offer more "regular pieces", such as in the cavern starter set, but in the ice paint scheme. Is this thing being considered?

A: Starter Cavern in Ice isn’t planned at the moment, but maybe if funding gets high enough. Extra Core sets for Ice Catacombs are fairly reasonably priced though, and provides a ton of great Ice pieces if you want a more solid, less negative space build.

-----

Q: so after having seen the Underdoom reveal, I'm wondering how you all plan on handling things going into the pledge manager. It's clear there's a ton of excitement for everything you're putting out there, but due to the modularity of the add-ons, it's really impossible for most backers to commit to a pledge until everything has been revealed (and more importantly, priced out). I guess my question/concern is, will you all be sure that all add-ons are priced out with at least a few weeks left in the campaign to give people time to run the numbers and commit before the pledge manager? There will no doubt be a lot of tweaking after the campaign, but if people aren't given ample time to consider their options, I'm afraid that a lot of these stretch goals may go unfulfilled because the funds may have to be added after the fact.

A: as a general rule, we try to have all the options revealed and priced before the final 48 hours of the campaign, so that everyone will have time to firm up their final decisions. (We try not to shotgun everyone with all the offers at the start, partly because what we can offer does depend in part on funding-- which is why it helps if people pledge at least part of their budget before the final few days!-- partly because it keep the campaign interesting as it goes along, and partly because we don't want worthy options to get lost in the shuffle if they appear among too many other things.

-----

Q: once the KS has been fulfilled, do items typically appear in the web store in the same packs in which they were available during the KS? I'm trying to plan a) what I'm going to be able to get from DoD when it drops for all us johnny-come-lately's and b) what am I willing to roll the dice on being able to add later from CD!

A: generally yes, same packages. Availability is hit or miss -- the closer something is to "core"/"starter dungeon/cavern" etc the more initial stock there often is. The more esoteric ones often have reduced initial supply. There's always a few 'surprise' packs that people under-appreciated during the campaign and buy at accelerated rate once they're in the store.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Q:Do any of the individual encounters enter or exit at elevation? For instance, if I wanted to include Savage Gorge with a regular KS2 build (without elevation) would they connect at “ground level” or does the entrance to Savage Gorge begin at elevation? Any other individual encounters that begin (or exit) at elevation?

A: Savage Gorge definitely enters at Elevation. Bestial Cliffs enters at ground level, exits at elevation. I believe Mushroom Grotto enters & exits at elevation, and has a sunken area in the middle. We have lots of options for you for changing elevation though. If you're trying to hook one room at ground level up to something higher in your own designs, the Entrance Riser or the Passage Ramp can be dropped in to do it with no fuss.

-----

Q: Will there be megapacks
A: Unsure yet. Depends on how much we raise. We’d like to offer a few.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:57 pm

Q: Can we a rough idea of the dimensions of each encounter? I'm finding it difficult to gauge size given how irregular the layouts are, the use of negative space with no grid, and the difficulty of seeing the grid on the pictures.

A: We haven’t measured them yet, but we can. Encounters 1-13 fill a 8’x4’ table

-----

Q: are there any plans to release packs of just basic walls, corners and floors in the ice caverns paint scheme?

A: You can purchase the Ice Caverns Core pack and translucent Ice Walls packs by themselves, if you want to expand to a bigger Ice Catacomb or make a smaller collection of icy pieces.

-----

Q: What is the difference in buying the Universal Pieces 1-3 and buying the Core Sets for encounters 1-3? I'd like to have enough to create a cool cavern of various size and looks ( to my budgets extent of course)? Thanks.

A: the combination of Core Sets is going to have significantly more pieces, and be more expensive.
The Universal Pieces packs which come from the Essentials pledges are designed to trim pieces which are redundant for those exact Encounter builds as much as possible, to keep the price down as much as possible.
If you're just starting a Caverns collection and need to "bulk up" on the building blocks, the Core Packs are probably what you want to focus on. Those and the Basic Builder and Advanced Builder addons Nate mentioned in the last livestream are what will make up the foundation of a Caverns collection.

-----

Q: So is the starter pack a pledge level or a add-on? I am seeing it listed both ways...

A: Starter Dungeon is both. It is a super affordable little Pledge Level for new backers to get their toes wet with, and it is a nice little “booster pack” Addon who want more basic building pieces (and maybe new people who missed KS2) in a very simple way, without playing advanced Tetris with all the weird and wonderful organic shapes in the Core Packs.

-----

Q: Isn't it supposed to be cheaper to buy an entire encounter vs cherry picking?

A: there’s not a huge discount for full Encounters this year, cherry picking often works out within a couple of bucks. There is a pretty good effective discount for choosing and of the medium to large Pledge Levels though.

-----

Q: I'm looking for basic add-on wall and floor pieces for caverns. I don't need all the bling as I have tons of it already and paint most. If I'm looking for walls and floors primarily is there a good pledge for that?

A: At this point the Cavern Starter Add On set is probably the closest to what you're looking for.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:53 pm

Q: Do "Encounter Stretch Goals" that go into one of the Encounter Core Packs automatically get added to the corresponding "Adventure Essentials Universal Core Pack"? I ask because looking at Encounters 1-3, there are no Pointy or Rising Stalagmites in any of the base packs (Core or Adventure) and yet there is 1 of each in the Ultimate Core Pack 1-3. There is 1 of each as stretch goals for Encounter 1 and Encounter 3, so it seems Stretch Goals on the Encounters will get put into the Universal Core Packs but they aren't listed as "Stretch Goals" but seem to be in the basic core pack image. Can you correct my misunderstanding or corroborate?

A: Great question.

Universal Core Packs do not get any SGs. They are meant to be as streamlined and cheap as possible.

I put that Pointy Stalagmite in Universal 1-3 because I knew we had two of them popping up as SGs for those included Encounters. I wanted people to be able to include that piece in their builds for Encounter 1 and 3. Neither Encounter really NEEDS them, but they make the room look cooler so I thought it was worth it.

Also as a general rule when any of the Encounter Core Packs get a SG it’s truly a bonus piece that’s not required for the main build. These are extra Pieces that will help give more flexibility to that set, especially when people are doing alternate build which will be the vast majority of the time.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:53 pm

Q: Where are the prices for the core packs and add-ons? Is this just a matter of DF not having the information yet, or is it some kind of stretch goal that only unlocks at a certain point?
A: not all the add-ons have been unlocked. We should get them soon.

-----

Q: Why are there SO MANY ADD-ONS - a video
A:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjc6dxy ... 0s&index=4

-----

Q: It's been said that you can individually buy entire Encounters as addons, an encounter's adventure packs as addons, and an encounter's special addons packs as addons. My questions is, in addition to all that, will you be able to buy core packs, or even potentially universal core packs, as addons? I know the vids they've put out imply that all packs that make up an encounter will be available as addons, but they never explicitly say you can get core packs, and they don't currently show up on the price spreadsheet linked on the campaign page (while the adventure packs do).

A: Yes, the goal is to release most, if not all, of the subpacks for individual purchase. Look out for them appearing in groups as we move forward in this campaign.

-----

Q: the one thing that bothers me with the Essentials pack it only comes with one each of the Widening Passage and Passage intersection. Those are some really nice scupts that I need more of. Is there a chance of a Passage Transition Pack so could get that as an add on.

A: When all the add-ons unlock you'll be able to get as many of those packs that your wallet and sqft will allow.

-----

Q: So will each Core Pack from the individual encounters be available as Add-Ons? And along that note, will the combination Core Packs also we available as Add-Ons?
For example, can I purchase an additional Universal Pack 4-6 or Universal Pack 7-9?

A: Yes and yes

-----

Q: What are the two terrain trays in the "Hollow Elevation Add-On Pack"?

A: They are 2x2 "textures" rather than terrain trays. They go under floor holes, hollow elevations and the like. The 2x2 texture pieces aren’t Terrain Trays, they are single sided texture patches like the one in Doomroller’s Labyrinth - neoprene backed with black cardboard SO they are one-sided. they're little inserts to go under open floor pits. Not magnetic, and flatter so they don't disrupt your secret floor dooms.

-----

Q: So what exactly is the core pack?
A: Core Packs are the parts of Encounters which are primarily bread and Butter building pieces - walls, floors, and corners. As opposed to Adventure Pack and other addon, which are decor and flair pieces.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Adventure Packs / Add-On Packs

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:40 pm

Q: This is my 1st DF KS. Are the adventure packs for a specific encounter (and the other named Packs shown for that encounter) included in that pledge level price?

A: Adventure Packs are the fun special flair pieces that give each encounter its heart. They are the capstone pieces persay, but you can choose to pick any or all of them up without purchasing the surrounding encounter.

-----

Q: Is there going to be a way to pledge for multiple bridges without duplicating the encounters? For instance if I wanted to make an insanely long one for indiana jonesesque encounters.
A: Yes. That bridge itself is a break out add-on set

-----

Q: On the last Kickstarter, there were the Burrows and Temple sets in addition to the Dungeon ones. This time, will it just be the Forest as an alternate area-type, or will one of the other sets (Underdoom?) be its own type? Can we expect any alternate paint schemes like the marble and jade?

A-the forest is a new environment. Hold onto your hats for that one. The crystal cavern, underdoom, and ice are alternate paints/environments. So we have Stone, Ice, Underdoom, as paint schemes