Individual Piece Questions

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge
Kickstarter 6 developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Individual Piece Questions

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:32 am

Q: Can anyone from DF confirm how many of these new (as Nate keeps saying MASSIVE) pieces are going to be hollow? The elevation and cliff pieces and entrance piece and passage pieces all make such a satisfying THUD on the table as Nate manipulates them in the build videos. Are we going to get solid pieces that feel MASSIVE or hollow ones that feel much lighter?

A: you really don’t want Dwarvenite pieces that large to be completely solid, it would be a warping nightmare. The factory knows how thick to cast these walls for an optimal result. Even the smaller Erinthor Mountain cliffs have a satisfying heft to them, and the larger cliffs should thump nicely on your table. But nothing is as dense as resin, those are literally as heavy as bricks.

A: Backer: I believe the pieces in the video are resin or plaster prototypes. Not Dwarvenite pieces. The ones we get will be hollow I'm sure, just like all the rest of the larger pieces.

-----

Q: The misty gateways Nate showed in the videos had LEDs in them, but no led symbol is on the pack. Graphic oversight or will the led part be a SG

A: They are LED. This is a graphic oversight and will be corrected.

-----

Q: Anyone get a good read on how big the Misty Gateway piece was? My recollection was that it was roughly the same size as the normal Arch Inserts.

A: Yes, as wall inserts or normal doors

-----

Q: Do Driftstones need stands or are they held up by opposing magnetic fields
A: The Driftstones will have stands.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:30 am

Q: Do the RGB crystals change by switch or remote?
A: Remote control!

-----

Q: the freestanding walls with the metal tab.. will that be sculpted (textured cavern face) right down to the tab...?

A: It’s lightly textured, but it needs to be flat so that floors fit against it, so it’s not as dynamic as most of the other pieces in the collection.

-----

Q: Does anyone know the size of the Dwarven Forge?
A: It’s about 50mmx50mm square, and about 38mm high (not including the gorgon head)

-----

Q: For the Mother of all Mushrooms, I am assuming the top comes unattached from the LED piece for painting ease. Is that correct?

A: We’re not sure yet. We cast it that way, but we don’t know the most effective way to manufacture it yet.

-----

Q: The mimic from hag's Den, is that a encounter exclusive only for those who pick up the entire encounter?
A: No, the Mimic is in its own Add-on pack at a pretty low price point. It’ll be officially unlocked tomorrow.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:02 pm

Q: Any chances that the broken pillar sculpt from the KS5 opening video, will show up in the Ruins Room? I want those broken pillars so bad.

A: Not currently :(

-----

Q: What exactly is an "Outside Standing Wall"? A freestanding wall that is shorter that the "Trifecta Straight Wall" and does not fit into an insert, like the "Plain Cave Insert"?

A: It’s a freestanding wall with a metal tab on the bottom, in the style of the Dungeon of Doom Passage walls. It’s meant to sit up against a floor, and two of them on either side of a floor can form a passage.

-----

Q:Does the middle go either way? That is, if you buy two boat packs, can you make a boat that has two pointy ends, for closer approximation of a Viking boat?

A: Yes!

-----

Q: Speaking of that double-sided LED wall ... can you confirm that both sockets can be used/lit at the same time ?

A: I cannot confirm that. There are technical challenges to that - to maintain the proper voltage whether you're using one LED or two, to get the right brightness and avoid blowing out any LEDs. And it's a pretty small piece to cram extra electronics into, along with the battery compartment. The two sockets will most likely just be wired in parallel, and you use one or the other. in which case you could insert two, but it would reduce the brightness (which might not be a bad thing with some of those super bright greed LEDs.) But again - for now assume that LED Wall Insert takes one active LED at a time, unless we hear otherwise

-----

Q: Is it correct that the mountain elevation blocks are not identical to the KS2 elevation blocks (from the elevation pack)?

A: yes, the block from Erinthor are a different sculpt which matches the rock style (and outdoor dimensions) of the Mountain set.

-----

Q: - Any insight into how many tile styles will be available? Or will any "trifecta style" items appear in the forest?

A: there are currently no plans for "trifecta" forest pieces, but that's an interesting idea, and knowing Nate probably something he's already planning to explore as he digs into future geometry. From a purely aesthetic perspective, it's harder to do a "trifecta" forest floor and cliff vs. a cavern one, because of the way plants tend to grow up and around the bases of cliffs; it would be quite hard to make the break look natural there.

As far as the current offering goes, there will be a set of Forest Escarpment pieces (the stone cliffs) including straight, convex, and concave, as well as the special cave entrance piece featured in the livestream. There will be three different large 6x6" tiles plus a 3x6" and a 3x3". There will be the huge Spirit Tree (perhaps my all time favorite of the things I've sculpted for Dwarven Forge), also on a 6x6" base. There will be the smaller hollow tree with removable top, and a variety (as yet to be completely worked out) of other freestanding "scatter" pieces. There will be Lady Sabelle's lovely thorn walls and mushroom rings. And for the trees themselves, there will be several different mix-and-match pieces for larger and smaller diameter trunks, as well as broken stump tops... so a fair variety of stuff.

------

Q: do you think all the banks pieces are 2X2?
A: yes 2x2

-----

Q: What is the footprint of a stilt
A: Stilt footprint is 1x1

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:38 am

Q: How many lead minis can the bridge supports before the magnetic field breaks ?

A: it's pretty hard to say how many lead minis the bridge can support - remember that these prototypes are all cast in resin which is heavier than the final product in Dwarvenite so that will be a factor too. Production pieces will probably enable a longer bridge. Rest assured though that we DEFINITELY want the strongest magnets we can feasibly get in there, to enable epic bridge combat scenes

-----

Q: Is the Misty Gateway a Door Insert?
A: Misty Gateways are Wall Inserts

-----

Q: Is it me; or have many of the pieces in these sets really lost the underlying grid that most use in their games? I like a lot of the new pieces; but some of them look really difficult to use based on the lack of visible differentiation of the "spaces."

A:the grid is there, it's just a bit more subtle (intentionally) in these organically shaped pieces. I've found that with 1" based minis on 2x2 inch tiles, you don't really NEED a grid - a figure is pretty clearly in one particular 1x1" square corner of the tile. The bigger pieces like the 6x6 floor, you can see pretty well how it gridded out - the elevation bits help with that one.

A: backer: I had the same worry, but the more I look at the pieces the more I can see the grid through the stones. They're like Burrows from KS5 - lots of suggestions about grid without looking like 1x1 boxes.

-----

Q: How is an Outside Wall different from a Plain Wall Insert or Straight Trifecta Wall?

A: The outside standing walls will have metal tabs like the DoD versions. The Passages Hands On shows how the Outside Standing Walls work. They are the caverns version of the Passage walls from DoD. In that pack they pair with the floor to make a standard straight passage. But can also be used to make a variety Passage shapes. they are full height walls which sit outside the 2x2 grid (like DoD Passage Walls) and will sit flush against any floor (which Trifecta walls won’t do, except with their own nesting floor.)

-----

Q: are the crystals painted? I see a bit of a pinkish hue at the base of some, and a bit of a sheen on others, but can't tell if that's lighting, or prototype paint, or...

A: yes, the crystals in the painted sets will be painted. Erin did a wonderful job with the paint scheme on them. A purplish hue at the bases and a fainter translucent shimmer elsewhere.

------

Q: Is the natural bridge 6" extension not available in the Essentials 1-11 pledge level? Will the natural bridges from KS2 elevation packs basically do the same thing?

A: Natural Bridge Extension is available in regular gray as of last night, in the Natural Bridge Pack.

-----

Q: Is the only LED Socket Cavern Floor the Basalt one from the Crystal Cave set? I'd love to see a regular cavern floor LED socket. It would be ideal for placing floor accessories from previous sets (like the Fire Pit or Eldritch Obelisk from KS5). Think how cool those would look at the top of the Stair to Violence !!

A: I believe the basalt one is the only floor socket. We've moved towards freestanding LED pieces in some of the places we'd use sockets before (MOAM and Campfire) which allows you to use them more easily in different environments. all those older LED Floor items could still work on top of the Stairway to Violence, with any of the LED bases we've made. The PST connector on the bottoms are universal across the product lines.

-----

Q: The plan is to cast the crystals in clear Dwarvenite right?

A: yes the crystals will be in clear Dwarvenite. Which for the painted pieces, will then be painted with some translucent / iridescent paints.

-----

Q: - How large is the surface area of the top of the large drift stones? Do you think it would be possible to add some trifecta walls around the edges and turn them into drow stalactite homes? Would there still be a decent amount of space on top? Perhaps as much as a small tower from KS4?

A: they are not that big and the surface is organic and irregular. Nate said maybe 1-2 minis per? We’ll get some photos with some crazy platforming action going on after Gen Con.

-----

Q: I wonder how nicely the Stairways to Violence stack to make ridiculous spiral stairs.
A: Nate: Yeah, you can stack them forever. We’ll have to try if on a livestream :)

-----

Q: So why no updated narrow passages?

A: we sort of have some ways to add variety to Narrow Passages with the Outside Standing Wall, which works like the metal tabbed Passage walls from the Dungeon of Doom. You can pair those with a 2x1 floor to make a piece with the same footprint as the old Narrow Passages, or use them with Trifecta Walls or any Cavern Wall to make a slightly wider passage section.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Q: The large 6"x6" Floors: standard dwarvenite or is that made of dwarvenite-G?
A: Dwarvenite. KS6 is entirely Dwarvenite.

-----

Q: any chance of getting a stone wall/secret door insert with a center pivot?
A: that is unlikely. We do already have a piece similar to what you describe you describe - 2x2 Caverns Secret Door Wall in the Wicked Caverns set, which gets restocked on the webstore.

-----

Q: The trifecta wall is the height of a floor+wall essentially right? So that the trifecta ledge can sit against it, not underneath? So how much does this limit the utility of using a trifecta wall against something other than negative space? Is there any effective way to use it with "traditional" walls? I do like that it'll give me more negative space building options (and will probably work into elevation too), but am having a hard time envisioning the full range of uses.

A-Yes you can use them as freestanding walls placed on floors. They are a little higher than the other walls due to being on top of a floor, but they absolutely work that way. You can use the Rising Walls to transition to them if you want

-----

Q: Will there be an opportunity to buy elevation stilts for the terrain trays?
A: Yes, they are crucial to affordably creating elevation with the Terrain Trays.

-----

Q: Will the Ice Cavern LED runic column be available in any other paint schemes?
A: If we raise enough, we’d love to offer it in regular stone color

-----

Q: In the hags den is the bug pit a insert for the hole floor or is it a full floor piece? it looks like its an insert as the stretch goals give lids. If its a insert then I do not see any hole floor pieces in the set.

A: The Bug Pits are full 2x2 floors. They are “trap height” so they can be covered with the false floor lid and then revealed.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:02 pm

CLARIFICATION FROM NATE:

- the Caverns Double Doors ARE an Add-on Pack. And they appear in multiple places outside that pack in the Encounters.

- the Ancient Dungeon Double Doors will ONLY appear in Adventure Pack 5

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Q: Will there be an LED Elevation piece in regular cavern paint style as in the one from the ice cavern?

A: If you’re referring to the Stairway to Violence, it is available in regular paint. The Natural Bridge Arch is not yet available in regular paint. Be will most likely appear later.

-----

Q: What actually might be a problem is the rising elevation. Beautiful as they are, I just can't see how a mini can stand on these pieces without blu tack or something like that.
A: Let’s take some pictures!

-----

Q:Is that Entrance Riser only 4" across at the front base??
A: It is 6” across at the front base

-----

Q: are all the holes in the rowboat compatible with KS4-5 accessories (thinking flags, crossbow, gargoyles etc)?
A: Yes, all the boat holes fit any pole accessory.

-----

Q: question about the Mother of All Mushrooms, from the Encounter 7, Mushroom Grotto pack. Does that come apart? I'm assuming the deep part is a translucent green LED "bulb" piece that glows? It looks covered in regular dwarvenite to give all the details. If I buy that unpainted... how in the world am I going to be able to dry brush the outer dwarvenite without getting paint in all the little "holes" and onto the green LED pit areas?

A: The answer is we don’t know for sure yet how the factory will decide it’s best to cast anything. I would expect that the “webbing” on the mushroom cap would be integrated though. If you drybrush slowly with a small brush, it’s not too hard to just hit raised areas on a piece like that. The webby bits should stick up far enough above the surface.

------

Q: The "Hole Floor" piece will accept the "Surface Transition Hole" from Khri Colony Set from last Kickstarter, right?

A: no the Surface Transition Hole from Burrows is a full 2x2 piece, it replaces whatever other tile goes in its spot. And it’s cleverly designed to kinda “spill over” the adjoining pieces, so it’s Terrain Agnostic and can be used with any 2x2 space.

-----

Q: I see they have an LED pack up, but what is an LED socket wall insert? Same with magnetic wall inserts. What does it insert into? The entrance, which already has LED Sockets in it?

A: "wall inserts" are walls that insert into the many locations in this set designed to accept inserts. This includes, for example, the 6x2 Entrance Wall in the LED Wall Pack. But they also function as freestanding walls, and can thus be placed pretty much anywhere. An LED Wall Insert has a self-contained LED socket and battery. It will accept LED accessories from City Builder, Castles, the DoD, and this KS as well.

-----

Q: the LED campfire in the camp pack, is it stand alone or does it need a base piece?
A: the campfire is a self-contained unit, with LED, battery and all.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:16 pm

Q: Will the cavern "Hole Lids" have a metal plate on the underside just like the false floor lids for the floor spike traps from KS5 so you can easily reveal them using the magnetic rod? It's a nice fast and easy way to reveal what's underneath without picking at your terrain to get some fidgety bit off.

A: (Nate): They are too thin to have metal inside, unfortunately. However, the Cavern False Floor Lid will have metal just like the ones in DoD.

-----

Q: What are the cavern stilts for exactly?

A: Cavern stilts are magnetized stone columns that let you easily elevate terrain trays to create raised areas with minimal pieces (just a few stilts) to support them. They come in different sizes and can also stack with each other for even more versatility.Cavern stilts are used to create elevation in several of the Encounter builds, e.g. Bestial Cliff, Shrine of Skyss-Rissa.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Q: I noticed that we recently passed the stretch goal for the middle of the boat. Will that be included in the Essentials Pack? or is that only if you buy the whole encounter?
A: the boat SG goes in the Boat Pack, and Essentials contain a Boat Pack

-----

Q: One of the themes I expected to make a showing here was mines, complete with tracks and carts. Where it doesn't look to fit with any of the encounter areas, what are the chances of such appearing as an add-on pack?

A: Unfortunately, you will not see any sort of Mines pieces appear within KS6. Though it is possibly to seat a real ‘train track’ piece from miniature railroads within several of the cavern pieces to build yourself an amazing mine.

----

Q: Can more than one middle section be applied to the boat to make it longer “barge-like”?
A: yes. The boat can in theory be made infinitely long by adding additional middle sections.

-----

Q: In the Cave Pool Pack, is the last terrain tray a 4x2.5" or a 4x25" cave water tile?
A: pretty sure that's 4x2.5".

-----

Q: Are the Open Arch Wall Insert and Low Arch Wall Insert the same piece or different pieces?
A: They are different. Open arch can take insert like portcullis. Low arch doesn't.

JenneyOC
Ogre
Ogre

Individual Piece Questions

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:46 pm

Q: So it looks like there is no cavern elevation box like the Dungeon of Doom one? It's using the stilts/terrain trays instead?
A: Yes turns out manufacturing the elevation platform is harder than we thought and it is not feasible to produce one for caverns. It would be debilitating expensive.

-----

Q; Any ideas on expanding the row boat? A middle piece to make it longer?
A: Lots of possibilities there to think about. Lots of options.

-----

Q: The log bridge... how is it anchored to each side? If I got that as an add on would it work with my Erinthor Mts set or earlier stuff?

A: We wanted the bridge to be terrain agnostic. We want it everywhere. The railing has rigidity currently but we might need to extend out the base of the railing to allow for it to be put anywhere which is the intention

-----

Q: Are there more 4x4 and larger floors pieces in this KS?
A: There is a 6x6 and possibility of something else. We already have a 4x4 in the original Caverns pieces. Our 6x6 is a wildly dynamic piece in the z axis.

-----

Q: I can't see anywhere in the "stone" encounters a "Natural Bridge Extension", as it appears in the "Ice Catacomb" Adventure Pack. Do you know know if there's any plan for such a piece to appear (in stone version) anywhere?
A: Yes, you should see that appearing.

Return to “Codex Valoria KS6”